Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
The percentage doesn’t mean shit. He was underpaid before, and now it seems he wants a fair shake.

On an 8 year deal if he’s top 5 now he won’t be anything close to it by the end. Pay a few bucks more now, save a bunch down the line.
Yeah, the "percentage doesn't means shit" theory is an easy concept to throw out there when it isn't your money or your cap to manage. Does a small sample size without a full season as starter assure the Bruins of a long-term performance guarantee? (Jim Carey says hello) This is why I've been saying a 1-year $7M bridge as a full-time starter continues to be the best short-term option, THEN pay him on merit.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah, the "percentage doesn't means shit" theory is an easy concept to throw out there when it isn't your money or your cap to manage. Does a small sample size without a full season as starter assure the Bruins of a long-term performance guarantee? (Jim Carey says hello) This is why I've been saying a 1-year $7M bridge as a full-time starter continues to be the best short-term option, THEN pay him on merit.

Swayman started 43 games last year. As the#1 he likely plays 55 games. Are we really concerned that he can't handle 12 extra games?

Reactions: TD Charlie

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
No, it's got the same fatal flaws they've had for way too long to be a serious cup contender. Why do you like it?
Their bottom 6 should punish teams, wearing them out, Kastelic, Beecher, and Jones, or Duran, or Tufte are all big fast and defensively responsible., Geekie, if he 's a C, Frederic, and Brazeau are small.

This was the plan for this year, copycat, the STLB and FLA method of wearing teams out. Especially 2nd and 3rd pairing.
JMHO
Is it perfect, no, but name one team with a perfect roster. We just need player to fulfil their potential and we'll have enough scoring. Key word "enough".

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Is it possible the Bruins brass wants to keep a model of the 1a goalie getting 45-50 games and the 1b getting 30-40 starts and are keeping Swayman's offer on the lower side because they know they won't be giving him the work load of a true #1? If so, that sort of philosophical difference in salary related deployment might be a hurdle they never get over.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The sample size argument is far better. I can understand some hesitance to pay him because of that. I think he’s worth a risk.

1 year he isn’t gonna go for. There’s no chance. 2, perhaps. And then he’s gone. You’ll never get him back after that.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Swayman should be able to handle 55-60 games, plus PO's, but he hasn't, and his $$ demands are cart before the horse.
Once again, I put this on generational differences. I've stated, working in industry, the young engineers all want to be paid as if they have 10 years experience.

Maybe the world is passing me by, but I was brought up that nothing is handed to you, and you need to prove yourself everyday.

I have belief in Swayman, at 7.5M/yr. When he actually wins a Vezina, 3 rounds and get into the finals, then he can ask for the moon, and I'd gladly give it to him.

Key difference, will be worth it, isn't right now. Shesterkin most likely getting 10M+ is because he is the consensus #1 goalie in the world. Swayman was considered top 7 last year, based on actual award voting, not so-called hockey experts with biased opinions.

We do need to sign Swayman, for a sizeable raise, and give him the ability to score his biggest contract after this next one. As I said before, this is the agent and the NHLPA using him to push the salary boundary for goaltenders. He is most certainly expected to be the next great goalie, but his arrival is based on these next few years. No big business is going to break the bank on expectations.
Certainly, not one that Jacobs owns.

If he is always going to be a negotiations albatross, he's not going to last in Boston anyway.
Right or wrong it is not the way the B's do business.

You see in baseball how most teams steer clear of Boras clients until the 11th hour and they don't get what they asked for unless they are lock, stock, proven, in their prime players.

Last edited:

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Swayman started 43 games last year. As the#1 he likely plays 55 games. Are we really concerned that he can't handle 12 extra games?
Not saying 12 games is the separation between success or not, but I've been saying he needs to increase his sample size. If Swayman is confident in his ability, give him a 1 year $7M bridge, let him have his first full season as the official starter and if he sustains, pay him next year.

The B's are obviously not willing to commit term and money without more assurances.

I will add that Korpisalo's solid showing in camp likely isn't doing anything to ramp up Sweeney's urgency to get a deal done.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
At what point can Sweeney state that long term offers are off the table and Swayman needs to take a 1 year deal and either negotiate next summer or find a trade/new team? Opening night?

We have the cap room so on a 1 year deal it shouldn’t be the end of the world to cave and give him more. The longer we wait the more deadline space we bank.

It’s a shame he was such a little B about arbitration since arbitration this year would have resolved everything and he could have focused on hockey and positioning himself for the monster contract were he to win the Vezina and a couple of playoff rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad