Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I'm saying the day to day results didn't matter and never did. To earn the starter role and saying he didn't is bullshit when the coach said all year the goalies were going to rotate starts.

They knew Ullmark was a dead man walking for the Bruins. If they had questions about Swayman's workload ability, they should have taken steps to figure it the f*** out. So there are two explanations for their actions. They intentionally limited Swayman's starts knowing negotiations were coming. Or they kept playing Ullmark to keep him happy knowing they were missing info on Swayman. Hence incompetence. Saying Swayman didn't outplay Ullmark the post deadline doesn't matter when it was never a criteria for the front office.

You can't just retroactively say, well this was your trial period and failed! It was never the case.

You've concocted a scenario in your head the flies in the face of everything this team has said to justify them not actually finding out if Swayman can hack it or not before trying to lock him up long term.

As for picking the deadline as the date. They didn't wake up trade deadline morning and decide Ullmark wasn't the future.
I think they needed to play Ullmark as trade bait. Benching him for multiple games would've lowered his value. Before you say Boston didn't get much for him, he didn't want to go out west or to a big market so that limited their options. There were only so many teams looking for a goalie that weren't on his no trade list and had the cap space. The cap difference between trading Forsberg vs Korpi was minimal because Ottawa retained $1 million but the term was much longer. Did Ottawa insist it has to be Korpi or did goalie coach Bob want him? We'll probably never know.

Right now Ullmark is a one-year rental so if he doesn't re-sign with Ottawa, the trade was fair as Ottawa will be losing a 1st round draft pick due to the Dadenov fiasco between now and 2026 so having 2 first round picks this year was important to them. Sorry for going on a tangent lol.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
You’re telling me you’ve never seen a Bruins related squabble over a contract since 1974?????????

And you also think the Bruins and Bruins players will turn their back on him?????

Yikes.

Deep breathes, man. Deep breathes. It’s all going to be ok.
Didn't say anything that you are posting did I?

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
as dangerous as that might be , I'll take the chance.

Here's my take,

Swayman resetting the market , no, you're over evaluating yourself

That you're butt hurt over arbitration , your either spilling the BS your agent told you to spill , or your the dumbest f*** ever.

I take him to Dec 1st, have his agent explain to him thereafter how that was a smart choice.

Next year , your back on the ride.

Meanwhile idiots like Button say Sway has all the cards .

that's the same f*** who convinced the habs to take Kokeniemi over Brady Thakuck

RIDE ON BUTTON , YOU IDIOT
We Sens fans are forever grateful. 😍

Reactions: JOKER 192

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No you can't do it after 2 seasons (if it's a 4 year deal). Extensions can only be signed starting on July 1 as the player is going into his last year. At that point Sway can say "F U" and the team will be trading him as a 1 year rental. We saw what return Ullmark got.

Just wondering, how many more games do you think Sorokin played than Swayman when Sorokin got his contract?

Except you know if he can handle a full load, which is apparently the road block for a big contract this year.

Really?

When did that start?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Offering a guy a 70% raise and setting him up for life is not a reason to distrust someone. Looking to gouge your team with demands because you have them by balls is why we are here. Please don't tell us he is worth top 5 league goalie money based on a 132 game sampling.

The guys who are top 5 paid their dues first.
The percentage doesn’t mean shit. He was underpaid before, and now it seems he wants a fair shake.

On an 8 year deal if he’s top 5 now he won’t be anything close to it by the end. Pay a few bucks more now, save a bunch down the line.

First off I want to preface this by saying, I hope this negotiation get resolved and Swayman is signed to a contract keeping him in Boston for several years and that Swayman becomes everything we hope he will be and more so that everyone is happy.

Hypothetical scenario here:
Let's assume Boston began negotiations with an offer of 6.4m per yr. Let's assume that is the opening offer and let's also assume Boston has a line drawn as a cap figure per yr they will not cross with Swayman.

Let's also assume that Swayman's camp began negotiations with a request of 9 or 10 mil per yr ... wanting to take into consideration unrealized player potential, escalating league cap structure, and a desire to be paid as one of the top goalies in the league.

At 6.4 Boston's offer would place Swayman at 5th or 6th highest paid active goalies currently. Swayman camp wants more. Boston obviously can not pay Swayman 9 or 10 mil without drastically altering the the depth, structure, and possibly core of the team.

In such a scenario something has to give.
Swayman most likely is going to want to earn an income this year. Boston is going to want to have stable depth at goalie this year and going forward.
Boston will have to raise their offer, Swayman's camp will have to reduce their demands - compromise.

Hypothetically, let's say Boston's max offer is 8.4 mil per for 8 years. Swayman should take it because NHL contracts are basically guaranteed money even if he falls flat on his face. The vanity aspect of wanting to be paid as one of the highest paid goalies in the league should survive through out the eight years even with the cap going up. At least two of the active goalies now making more than that amount will retire during that time frame. And then there is the question of how many goalies in the league are currently qualified or in a position to make more during that time frame? Not very many ... maybe 2 possibly 3?

Swayman with such an offer is not being punished, he is being rewarded for a promise of what might be all while being paid amongst the highest paid goalies in the league. Swayman stats look good, but in reality he has accomplished nothing out of the ordinary that many other goalies have also accomplished. There is a real possibility that this last spring's playoff performance might be the best that Swayman ever plays as a player in the NHL. There is also the risk Boston would be taking that Swayman doesn't turn into Raycroft when traded to Toronto or become like many other goalies who once looked promising but flamed out. If Boston were to offer that much he should take the money and run. Lastly, at the end of the 8 yrs if he plays well he would still be in a position to cash in again.

Otherwise, there is possibly a local car dealership that could use a salesman or a local grocery that needs a bagger. Hell, I wish I was offered 6.4 mil for 8 yrs to play a game I love.
You’ve never negotiated a better deal for yourself when already presented with a decent option? You’re leaving money on the table.

Why take 6.4 when you feel strongly that you are worth a few mil more? That’s a huge cut

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
You’ve never negotiated a better deal for yourself when already presented with a decent option? You’re leaving money on the table.

Why take 6.4 when you feel strongly that you are worth a few mil more? That’s a huge cut
I never said his camp couldn't negotiate the best deal possible. The 6.4 was a hypothetical based on previous rumors. The Bruins due to restraints of the cap and team management of future cap requirements obviously have a number in mind that they feel they can not exceed without drastically altering the makeup and structure of the team. To simply give in to Swayman's camp's demands would be foolish and show weakness in negotiating with future RFAs , not to mention the extreme risk of agreing to pay millions of dollars over a number of years for a not full known or proven return. Swaymen while impressive with his small quantifying stats lacks a deep resume and accolades of nominations and hardware others in his supposed asking range have already accomplished.

In Swayman's case his camp will at some point have to accept some sort of deal even if it's not fully to their liking if he wants to get paid this year and not lose a year of service. Doing so would be in his best interest, at least short term, both for his career and reputation. Which may mean a compromise from both his camp and the Bruins agreeing to something less than 8 years. In such a case I mentioned in an earlier post building a contract around five years. This allows Swayman to fully establish himself as one of the games top goalies and if he lives up to his own expectations allows him to negotiate a new contract somewhere around the age 30 and get paid his established worth . Not speculative worth - which is what he wants now.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I never said his camp couldn't negotiate the best deal possible. The 6.4 was a hypothetical based on previous rumors. The Bruins due to restraints of the cap and team management of future cap requirements obviously have a number in mind that they feel they can not exceed without drastically altering the makeup and structure of the team. To simply give in to Swayman's camp's demands would be foolish and show weakness in negotiating with future RFAs , not to mention the extreme risk of agreing to pay millions of dollars over a number of years for a not full known or proven return. Swaymen while impressive with his small quantifying stats lacks a deep resume and accolades of nominations and hardware others in his supposed asking range have already accomplished.

In Swayman's case his camp will at some point have to accept some sort of deal even if it's not fully to their liking if he wants to get paid this year and not lose a year of service. Doing so would be in his best interest, at least short term, both for his career and reputation. Which may mean a compromise from both his camp and the Bruins agreeing to something less than 8 years. In such a case I mentioned in an earlier post building a contract around five years. This allows Swayman to fully establish himself as one of the games top goalies and if he lives up to his own expectations allows him to negotiate a new contract somewhere around the age 30 and get paid his established worth . Not speculative worth - which is what he wants now.
That’s fine, but a five year deal is still gonna be strong money

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Never seen anything like this before as a 50 year Bruin fan. Im done with this player, get rid of him if you can.

He has forever put a target on his back and will be mocked for every shit goal he gives up and will be shredded for not being able to carry the team on his back like a 10m goalie should.

The Bruins or their players will not want to deal with that going forward, he's toast in Boston.
Just in case, I checked. Cancelling call for Neurologist.

You ok?

Jorgolyte

Jun 9, 2024
Look at that Anaheim trade proposal. I mean it will never happen, they're going to sign him, but it is realistic value. Not far removed from return. So if that's all he's worth around the league then why would we pay him that much. What other star RFA would get only a 1st rounder and a probably negative equity contract back? His value should absolutely have some linkage to his salary. Trade him or let him sit

Last edited:

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
as dangerous as that might be , I'll take the chance.

Here's my take,

Swayman resetting the market , no, you're over evaluating yourself

That you're butt hurt over arbitration , your either spilling the BS your agent told you to spill , or your the dumbest f*** ever.

I take him to Dec 1st, have his agent explain to him thereafter how that was a smart choice.

Next year , your back on the ride.

Meanwhile idiots like Button say Sway has all the cards .

that's the same f*** who convinced the habs to take Kokeniemi over Brady Thakuck

RIDE ON BUTTON , YOU IDIOT

Perfectly said.
Some guys like Button make it sound that if JS is not in net to start the year that the Bruins will ice a team with no goalie at all.
Empty net .

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
After watching Korpi I am even more excited to get Swayman signed because this should be top 5 G duo

From people here to the guys I hang around with and go to games with it’s pretty unanimous ~ 6/50 or 8 years for 8-8.5 M should make both sides happy

Very interesting how it’s damn near unanimous…some of us can’t agree it’s Sunday but we are 7.5-8.5 M and 6-8 years

Don’t blow early points the teams below are much better

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Look at that Anaheim trade proposal. I mean it will never happen, they're going to sign him, but it is realistic value. Not far removed from return. So if that's all he's worth around the league then why would we pay him that much. What other star RFA would get only a 1st rounder and a probably negative equity contract back? His value should absolutely have some linkage to his salary. Trade him or let him sit
Gibson and Anaheim's '25 #1 if they have it, I would do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad