Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -VI .. *crickets*

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008
1727447660134.jpeg

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not suggesting he trumps the team at all. I'm saying the fans here who think a player should take a team friendly deal just to stay in Boston are grossly misrepresenting the importance of a guy not from that area playing for their team. It's delusional to think they have any real ties to the area in most cases.

Now, specific to Swayman, he definitely has benefitted from playing on some very good defensive teams here, but he's also been a big reason why those teams looked so solid defensively. Mainly because under Monty's system, they give up way more odd man rushes the other way with the d constantly jumping up into the offensive zone play. So the sheer frequency with which that happens requires a good goalie. I'm not so sure it will look the same with Korpisalo and Bussi back there over Sway over the course of 82 games. In fact, I'd bet it looks significantly worse. Which makes the haggling over every last dime a little pointless. He's by far their best goalie. Stop playing games and get the guy signed already.
You have 3 kids, they are very lucky to have such a marshmallow dad who gives them whatever they want

I hope they appreciate you unlike our buddy you know who

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I guess it all depends on whether you think any of that collective is worth signing. TBH, bottom of the roster spots should be filled on the cheap and with internal options instead of paying premiums in free agency or trade for those slots, imo.

None of those players is what I’d consider a must have. They’re all complimentary depth types. Overpaying those guys but nickel and diming your starting goalie is really really f***ing stupid.

Lots of posters (and media types) have been begging for the Bruins to get more physical, especially on the back end. Zadorov and Peeke do just that. Bruins don't really have any internal options on defense after Lohrei.

I don't really think they are nickel and diming Swayman.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You have 3 kids, they are very lucky to have such a marshmallow dad who gives them whatever they want

I hope they appreciate you unlike our buddy you know who
See Dan, you’re conflating business with pleasure. How I treat my kids is irrelevant to how I conduct business. If the Bruins are using your suggested dynamic as the basis of their relationship with a player, that’s a huge red flag.

Swayman has proven over the last 4 years that he’s a top 5 goalie. That’s a great problem to have if you’re a team. The Bruins need to stop trying to save a buck with top of the roster types while spending like a drunken sailor in a strip joint on bottom of the roster types. It’s not Sways job to make up for Sweeney overpaying 4th line stiffs.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
See Dan, you’re conflating business with pleasure. How I treat my kids is irrelevant to how I conduct business. If the Bruins are using your suggested dynamic as the basis of their relationship with a player, that’s a huge red flag.

Swayman has proven over the last 4 years that he’s a top 5 goalie. That’s a great problem to have if you’re a team. The Bruins need to stop trying to save a buck with top of the roster types while spending like a drunken sailor in a strip joint on bottom of the roster types. It’s not Sways job to make up for Sweeney overpaying 4th line stiffs.
Which fourth line “stiff” is overpaid?

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
No would have acquired Colin Miller for the 3rd or the 4th he went for and would not have traded Ullmark for that package. 26th ov while taking on a terrible contract is not worth dumping my goalie

I don't really think Colin Miller is an improvement over Peeke. Playing for 6 teams over the last 8 seasons tells me Miller isn't endearing himself to anyone.

If the B's didn't make the trade with Ottawa, they may still have Ullmark. More leverage in negotiating with Swayman but less cap space to do it with.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know you’re just being funny with this but the dynamic here where they actually think a player from another state should give a f*** about whether they play for the Bruins or another one of the teams in the league is so silly. If I’m a player and my goal from when I was a kid was to play in the NHL, it really wouldn’t matter which team it was. And in Swayman’s case, after the team dragging him through the coals in arbitration last year and then lowballing him this year, I'd openly welcome a move. He’s far more important to their success than they are to his at this point.

Bottom roster heavy with 4th line and 3rd pairing types and not enough actual skill players to fill out the top 6, which is why they end up always having to slot guys up.

Wait, wait, wait! Jesus Christ on a bicycle @LSCII for the last time, Boston didn't take Swayman to arbitration. Gross & Swayman opted for arbitration. And once there the Bruins laid out their case & Gross and Swayman laid out theirs. WTH was Sweeney supposed to do? Go easy on Swayman to avoid hurting his widdle fweeings?? It's obvious now that Gross didn't prepare Swayman for the process & it came as a shock to his client.

Question: do we know for a fact that Boston "lowballed" him on this new deal? :dunno: And is that "lowball" figure really "lowball" or simply based on Swayman's present statistics as opposed to what statistics he might compile in the future??? Again, :dunno:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Wait, wait, wait! Jesus Christ on a bicycle @LSCII for the last time, Boston didn't take Swayman to arbitration. Gross & Swayman opted for arbitration. And once there the Bruins laid out their case & Gross and Swayman laid out theirs. WTH was Sweeney supposed to do? Go easy on Swayman to avoid hurting his widdle fweeings?? It's obvious now that Gross didn't prepare Swayman for the process & it came as a shock to his client.

Question: do we know for a fact that Boston "lowballed" him on this new deal? :dunno: And is that "lowball" figure really "lowball" or simply based on Swayman's present statistics as opposed to what statistics he might compile in the future??? Again, :dunno:

Swayman's only option was arbitration or to take a lesser offer. This means Don and the Bruins played a part in this. Even if Swayman elected for it, most teams work to avoid arbitration and sign a deal before then. Especially when it involves one of your best players and a key pieces of the future. The Bruins are also complicit in this. The Bruins know arbitration is relationship damaging, why didn't they work out a deal before hand?

Based on how Bruins handle RFAs in general. Yes I'd say this is true.

Reactions: EverettMike

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Don't think that is true.

Even last season his numbers (2.53 GA, .916 SP) were nearly identical to Ullmark's (2.57 GA, .915 SP).

This top 5 stuff is based solely on a very short playoff run.

Still, I feel the Bruins will get him signed to a somewhat reasonable contract.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Swayman's only option was arbitration or to take a lesser offer. This means Don and the Bruins played a part in this. Even if Swayman elected for it, most teams work to avoid arbitration and sign a deal before then. Especially when it involves one of your best players and a key pieces of the future. The Bruins are also complicit in this. The Bruins know arbitration is relationship damaging, why didn't they work out a deal before hand?

I’ll ask again - what other RFAs have they played hardball with?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lots of posters (and media types) have been begging for the Bruins to get more physical, especially on the back end. Zadorov and Peeke do just that. Bruins don't really have any internal options on defense after Lohrei.

I don't really think they are nickel and diming Swayman.
I would give you a LIKE ! but I am still in bad boy status.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So much presupposition there.

1)That they had to trade Ullmark
2) That OTT was the ONLY team they could trade him to.
3) That they had to give in to OTT's demands. Sweeney is ok negotiating and holding the line on Swayman but apparently caved wasily to OTT.

Also "Zadorov filled a need" is hysterical... Who fills a bigger need Zadorov or Swayman?

Finally your contention that signing one has nothing to do with signing another may be correct. But if that's true, that one large signing doesn't affect future signings is true, then people should stop saying that we shouldn't sign Sway to 8m because that means they can't sign others in the future. Either that argument works for Zad's signing too, or it doesn't work for Swayman.

So are you presupposing that the Bruins are going to lose Swayman? I'm presupposing they will sign him. Thus filling both needs, not one or the other.

I would give you a LIKE ! but I am still in bad boy status.

Feed your spirit!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I’m a card carrying member of Sway Nation

6:50 M or 8:64

I’d pay him it right now back at practice tomorrow (what’s his agent cut ? Flat fee or dreaded %?)

Is more than fair

I’d give it to him now and spring for lunch at the Stock Yard with Marchy & Pasts & McAvoy to get them all back in love

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
On a completely unrelated note, I notice that Ullmark saved 28 of 29 shots in 30 minutes and 20 seconds last night for Ottawa.
It'll be interesting to see how he does, and how they do as a team.

It feels like the Bruins could fall out of bed and be a lock for 100 points and top 3 in the division every year, despite some (like me) calling for the re-build and then looking foolish by Christmas.

As an academic exercise, I'd really be interested to see what a season of Korpisalo and Bussi looks like.

Reactions: BTO

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Perhaps because Swayman was asking for way too much?

Reactions: Bodit9

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I don't really think Colin Miller is an improvement over Peeke. Playing for 6 teams over the last 8 seasons tells me Miller isn't endearing himself to anyone.

If the B's didn't make the trade with Ottawa, they may still have Ullmark. More leverage in negotiating with Swayman but less cap space to do it with.
One was a rental that was often a healthy scratch and one had 2 more seasons at 2.75 mil per that was often a healthy scratch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad