Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
I can only imagine the treatment he'll get if he's bad. Tuukka gave them unreal goaltending every year + playoffs and still got shit on at the end of every season
My two strongest memories of Rask are:

1) 2013 ECF vs the Penguins. Maybe the best a Bruins goalie has played in my lifetime outside of Thomas in 2011.
2) 2 goals allowed in 4 shots at home in game 7 Cup final vs the Blues in 2019.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
My two strongest memories of Rask are:

1) 2013 ECF vs the Penguins. Maybe the best a Bruins goalie has played in my lifetime outside of Thomas in 2011.
2) 2 goals allowed in 4 shots at home in game 7 Cup final vs the Blues in 2019.
I'm glad you included number 1 because to me that's the moment I look to when people call him a choker. To shut down prime Malkin and Crosby like that was insane.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This thread has never had me rooting for a player more than Korpi

I have a notebook like Bucky Barnes with all y’all names and I’m coming for all you bitches

Mmmmmmwahaha

Even if Korpisalo plays well Sweeney still loses this deal in my opinion. He was coming off a terrible year and signed long term, the Sens had no leverage in trying to unload him, Sweeney massively let Staios off the hook in his deperation to get a 1st round pick. Sens fans here in Ottawa are still dancing in the streets regarding that trade.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Even if Korpisalo plays well Sweeney still loses this deal in my opinion. He was coming off a terrible year and signed long term, the Sens had no leverage in trying to unload him, Sweeney massively let Staios off the hook in his deperation to get a 1st round pick. Sens fans here in Ottawa are still dancing in the streets regarding that trade.

Sweeney had little to no leverage unloading Ullmark either. A goalie with 1 year left on his deal and a 15 team no trade list, and a player that everyone knows you want/need to deal away to clear the way for Swayman.

Also Korpisalo's hit can be dropped to near $1m a year if he is sent down or bought out

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I will never understand why anybody would be freaking out over someone not signed on day 1 of eligibility. It's the frigging off-season. These guys have lives, the last thing they want to think of is haggling over a contract. If they start playing pre-season games and he's not signed, then start worrying. Until then, it's nothing but manufactured drama.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
better chance Korpi is good and plays to that contract

He played on a team that fired their GM, coach - players like Stutzle seemed to quit, defense was pathetic

His contract for Boston is right in line with his value

How did we arrive at this here lol

It’s like no one factors in its 3 M not 4 M
Ottawa has paid 8 M of the 20 M for 1 year

The drama and tears shed over this I’m enjoying

At worst he’s a $1.85 insurance policy in Providence if not claimed which could happen

Wizard Bob approved so I’m going with the goalie whisperer

All you Bruins fans relax

Korpi will work out one way another

He’s easily moveable

Ottawa
1 year 8 M
Bruins
4 year 12 M

The shit ass Sens organization is the bad one

The one run by Cam & Don is the good one

All good with Bruins
Sens fan here, coming in peace. Sens used to be a shit ass organization under Melnyk/Dorion but thankfully, that era is over. As for Stutzle, he didn't quit, he injured his wrist in game 4 last season, bugged him all year. Also had some issue with his neck. I also think all of the distractions affected him and most of his teammates (new ownership, GM, coach, Pinto suspension, Dadanov fiasco). I think he'll be back on pace this upcoming season.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The more than likely scenario there is that Coyle massively regressed. I'd rather not go there.
Maybe see a 63-51-13 line during the year and 11-39-Lysell\Brazzeau 3rd line.

The more than likely scenario there is that Coyle massively regressed. I'd rather not go there.
Maybe see a 63-51-13 line during the year and 11-39-Lysell\Brazzeau 3rd line.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Coyle hasn’t played wing since Minnesota. Theyre not moving him to wing.

Coyle hasn’t played wing since Minnesota. Theyre not moving him to wing.

The horror of having a teams most gifted young center play with two very good defensive players, the horror. But if you say so it must be true.

Incidentally since Montgomery has been coach at least one time Coyle played at RW.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Don Sweeney and the Bruins took care of many of their offseason tasks in late June and early July, dealing Linus Ullmark to the Senators, using a re-acquired first-round selection to add a high-ceiling prospect in Dean Letourneau, and using their abundant cap space to sign top targets in free agency like Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov.

But Boston still has one order of business to attend to: signing restricted free agent Jeremy Swayman to a hefty contract extension.

With over $8.6 million in expected cap space remaining (per PuckPedia), the Bruins should have the fiscal means to sign Swayman to a long-term deal worth between $7.5 and $8 million per year.

Still, both Boston and Swayman’s camp have yet to come to terms on a deal nearly a week into August. With training camp set to begin Sept. 18, should Bruins fans be concerned about the radio silence between Swayman and Boston?

Former Bruins goalie and current NESN analyst Andrew Raycoft isn’t raising the alarm.

“No level of concern. No updates, haven’t heard a thing,” Raycroft said on WEEI’s “The Skate Pod,” adding: “Everybody’s gone. The hockey world — everybody is gone. Since July 7 when that development camp shut down the last one in the league, everybody is gone.”

“There’s really no reason for fans to be worried about a contract until September,” Raycoft said. “September 1 is maybe you can start thinking or even talking about it and even then they have two weeks [until training camp begins].”

While Bruins fans will be able to breathe easier the sooner Swayman puts pen to paper, several other restricted free agents in Boston followed a similar timeline when it came to their new deals.

It took until Sept. 15, 2017 for the Bruins to sign then-RFA David Pastrnak to a new deal (six year, $40 million), ending a summer-long stretch of negotiations that ended just before training camp.

Even though Swayman and the Bruins navigated through a contentious contract negotiation last offseason that ended with an arbitration hearing, such a result won’t play out once again this summer.

Barring a team submitting an offer sheet, Swayman’s options are limited beyond eventually signing a new deal with Boston. Both Swayman and the Bruins ultimately agreed to not elect for arbitration this offseason — a positive sign that both parties will eventually agree to terms in the coming weeks.

“This is going to take two phone calls at the end of the day,” Raycroft said. “Jeremy can’t really go anywhere. He has to sign. He has to play. He has to make a lot of money and the Bruins have to pay him a lot of money. I think at the end of the day, it will be a couple of phone calls, they’ll get it hashed out, and he’ll be playing on opening night.”

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
He'll be playing. I'm not worried about it. This isn't before the cap and days of Harry Sinden penny pinching for Jacobs.

• Haha
Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
“Everybody’s gone. The hockey world — everybody is gone. Since July 7 when that development camp shut down the last one in the league, everybody is gone.”

I agree with Raycroft, no concern. But his "everybody is gone" "The hockey world- everybody is gone" is just flat out untrue and comes off as completely ill-informed. If you are going to say such a definitive and stupid statement then I wouldn't even use him as a source.

Just SOME of the names signed to extensions with their teams since July 7:
Kaiden Guhle
Ryan Lindgren
Dustin Wolf
Brock Faber
Martin Necas
Kirill Marchenko
Kent Johnson
Travis Konecny
UPL
Joe Veleno
Jack Drury
Marc McLaughlin
Quinton Byfield
Braedan Schneider
Alec Regula
Michael Callahan

JJ Moser
Barrett Hayton

The B's front office re-opened shop apparently for the all important McLaughlin, Regula and Callahan signings. Weird. I mean, I totally get that those are easy contracts with little negotiations, but that's not the point. You can't say that nobody is signing anyone when the B's themselves are, and several big names signed their contracts during this period.

TLDR: I know that the Swayman signing will get done soon, so no concerned, but saying that the reason is that everyone is on vacation and no business is getting dumb is flat out false and stupid.

Reactions: Gordoff

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree with Raycroft, no concern. But his "everybody is gone" "The hockey world- everybody is gone" is just flat out untrue and comes off as completely ill-informed. If you are going to say such a definitive and stupid statement then I wouldn't even use him as a source.

Just SOME of the names signed to extensions with their teams since July 7:
Kaiden Guhle
Ryan Lindgren
Dustin Wolf
Brock Faber
Martin Necas
Kirill Marchenko
Kent Johnson
Travis Konecny
UPL
Joe Veleno
Jack Drury
Marc McLaughlin
Quinton Byfield
Braedan Schneider
Alec Regula
Michael Callahan

JJ Moser
Barrett Hayton

The B's front office re-opened shop apparently for the all important McLaughlin, Regula and Callahan signings. Weird. I mean, I totally get that those are easy contracts with little negotiations, but that's not the point. You can't say that nobody is signing anyone when the B's themselves are, and several big names signed their contracts during this period.

TLDR: I know that the Swayman signing will get done soon, so no concerned, but saying that the reason is that everyone is on vacation and no business is getting dumb is flat out false and stupid.

These might have been deals that had been done for awhile but didn't get announced later for one reason or another. He's probably speaking in generalities based on his experience.

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
These might have been deals that had been done for awhile but didn't get announced later for one reason or another. He's probably speaking in generalities based on his experience.
I doubt that's the case.
Several of them were after arbitration had been filed. If they were agreed upon beforehand then I don't see why the team/player (depending on the specific case) would have filed for arbitration. Also, I didn't include the large number of players drafted who were signed, or any of the small signings.

Either, way you had a ton of contracts being signed here. Raycroft's "experience" is being a player and a part time tv guest, I don't think he has a ton of experience in a front office.

You also have the specific case of Necas, who the team was trying to trade and who had expressed a desire to be traded. I doubt he had an agreement with the team already signed, just waiting to be filed, but was asking to be dealt at the same time.

Occam's Razor (no pun)- If a ton of players are signing after 7/7 it's unlikely that the offices are all closed.

Most likely- company guy giving the company an out. There's more evidence of that then there is that 30 guys across the league all had deals signed, but weren't filed for some unknown reason that wouldn't be beneficial to anyone.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I doubt that's the case.
Several of them were after arbitration had been filed. If they were agreed upon beforehand then I don't see why the team/player (depending on the specific case) would have filed for arbitration. Also, I didn't include the large number of players drafted who were signed, or any of the small signings.

Either, way you had a ton of contracts being signed here. Raycroft's "experience" is being a player and a part time tv guest, I don't think he has a ton of experience in a front office.

You also have the specific case of Necas, who the team was trying to trade and who had expressed a desire to be traded. I doubt he had an agreement with the team already signed, just waiting to be filed, but was asking to be dealt at the same time.

Occam's Razor (no pun)- If a ton of players are signing after 7/7 it's unlikely that the offices are all closed.

Most likely- company guy giving the company an out. There's more evidence of that then there is that 30 guys across the league all had deals signed, but weren't filed for some unknown reason that wouldn't be beneficial to anyone.

I still think he's not entirely wrong and speaking more in generalities than definitively. Kind of like when kids/teachers go on summer vacation - everyone's gone but there's still things that go on in the school. Players go on vacations, most player weddings happen in the summer, etc etc.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I read that this could be done after the Ivan Hlinka Tournament. I tried to find the link but I can't.

I am really hoping for not $9m/year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium