Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I prefer Frederic and Geekie on line 3 where they seemed to have good chemistry together. Having either guy in a top 6 role is beyond their skill set in my opinion. I don’t think either guy can be counted on to consistently produce offense, playing on line 3 they don’t have to .
Depends on what type of 3rd line they are looking for. I'm old school where top 2 lines where offensive and the 3rd was used as a shutdown line against other team's top lines. IF Poitras is ready , attempt to have him center the 2nd and drop Coyle down to 3rd and create the best possible shutdown line they can. Not normally done in this day and age but need to work to the strengths they have.

Five Hole

The puck stops here.
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2004
Southern New England
Zacha – Poitras – Pasta

Marchy – Lindholm – Lysell

Feddy – CC – Geekie

Beecher – Kastelic – Jones/Brazeau

1st - Poitras gets to spread his wings offensively and Pasta and Pavs have already shown some chemistry. This grouping gives Poitras some face off protection as well.

2nd - Marchy gets a center that is more similar in style to what he is used to, maybe that will help keep his production from falling off too much. Lysell gets a shot with a couple of solid 2-way veterans who can help him sort it out and a fellow Sweed to ease the adjustment.

3rd - If you were asked to define the prototypical 3rd line this one just might sum it up. Size, speed, forecheck, grit and just enough scoring to make life heck for opposing coaches.

4th - Beecher gets some face off protection and provides the speed. This line has size to spare and plenty of grit. This would make life difficult for opposing defensemen.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Zacha – Poitras – Pasta

Feddy – CC – Geekie

1st - Poitras gets to spread his wings offensively and Pasta and Pavs have already shown some chemistry. This grouping gives Poitras some face off protection as well.

2nd - Marchy gets a center that is more similar in style to what he is used to, maybe that will help keep his production from falling off too much. Lysell gets a shot with a couple of solid 2-way veterans who can help him sort it out and a fellow Sweed to ease the adjustment.

3rd - If you were asked to define the prototypical 3rd line this one just might sum it up. Size, speed, forecheck, grit and just enough scoring to make life heck for opposing coaches.

4th - Beecher gets some face off protection and provides the speed. This line has size to spare and plenty of grit. This would make life difficult for opposing defensemen.

The problem with putting Poitras on line 1 is that he's going to draw a team's best players because of Pasta. I like the line on paper but it might be too big for the kid to handle going against the elite #1's in the league.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Zacha – Poitras – Pasta

Feddy – CC – Geekie

You're over thinking it, you don't go pay Lindholm that contract to not pair him with Pastrnak.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta
Marchand - Coyle - x

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
That’s what makes the salary cap fun. Gives the rest of the league a chance to be competitive. I’d be ok with no salary cap. Bruins could kill that. Teams with deep pockets could sign everyone.
You comment reminds me a little of Larry Brooks (no offense intended). He thinks that the Rags and Kings are entitled to be the finals every year b/c they are the biggest markets, and that the salary cap shouldn't exist b/c it would benefit the Rags not to have one.

I wouldn't be too sure how high Jacobs would go if there wasn't a cap. He wasn't too pleased when O'C told him at the start of the cap era that the team needed to spend the cap.

Goalie is the easiest guy to blame
Every goal scored was Tuukka's fault, even when he wasn't playing. (S)

Reactions: Kegs

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Zacha – Poitras – Pasta

Feddy – CC – Geekie

I hope you don't take offense, but I am sure you will, but it is not my intent. There is not much that I, can agree on with your lineup. Poitras is not a #1 center and I, believe his future is bright, but night be best served with some time in Providence. Sweeney gave Lindholm a ridiculous contract, so he could be their # 1 center, I do not think that will fly with management. Why does Beecher need " face off protection"? I have come around on Lysell I am all in on giving him a legit shot with Marchand and Coyle.

Reactions: Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Zacha – Poitras – Pasta

Feddy – CC – Geekie

I would love it if we got to those lines and I think I posted the exact same top 9 in another thread, but it probably is just be too soon for Poitras. You are probably getting the most out of Lindholm with Pasta, too. I do think you run the risk of getting 50 point Lindholm with Marchand and Lysell, ya know? The politics of the big UFA dollars probably means you want Lindholm getting those Pasta points.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The insider ain’t no insider on the Bruins ~ i actually follow him on Twitter and he’s a Pittsburgh kid/guy who covers the Steelers

I think he went to Penn Stste -can’t remember; but be covers a lot of sports and seems interesting

Only a few people know what’s going on and I don’t think anyone who writes or has a podcast does

Swayman is around people say he’s filled with equal love, happiness, and joy ~ and he’s doing things at Warrior where the Bruins FO is

I’m sure Donny Deal Maker knows what he’s doing over some Gen Z who’s wearing a TJ Watt jersey 17 times a Fall

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I thought they would get lucky to get him for 8x8, figured it would be higher. Either way they have to sign him, if it's 9 or 10 then a player or players will have to be moved out.

This will help people who want to see Lysell make the team as well as guys like Brazeau. Players making 1m or less that can produce like Geekie have heightened value.
Yeah they could move out Korpisalo.
I think that 9 is too much, 7 is a steal, so, you know, 8.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The insider ain’t no insider on the Bruins ~ i actually follow him on Twitter and he’s a Pittsburgh kid/guy who covers the Steelers

I think he went to Penn Stste -can’t remember; but be covers a lot of sports and seems interesting

Only a few people know what’s going on and I don’t think anyone who writes or has a podcast does

Swayman is around people say he’s filled with equal love, happiness, and joy ~ and he’s doing things at Warrior where the Bruins FO is

I’m sure Donny Deal Maker knows what he’s doing over some Gen Z who’s wearing a TJ Watt jersey 17 times a Fall

First off, the person you're insulting, Jacob Punturi, didn't claim to be a Bruins insider. Nor did he claim to have inside information. He didn't even do any speculating of his own. He aggregated the work of Dan Rosen, Senior Writer for NHL.com.

Rosen is quite obviously legit, but not even he claimed to have inside information about negotiations. The piece that has you insulting "some Gen Z" was a mailbag, where a reader asked Rosen for his take.

Here's the entire portion on Swayman that you think makes it okay to be patronizing to people just doing their jobs.

(Emphasis mine)

---

WHAT DO YOU THINK Jeremy Swayman's next contract is going to look like? Who are the comps? -- @rayguarino

Swayman could realistically get north of $9 million per season depending on the length of his contract with the Boston Bruins. The goalie is a restricted free agent, but the Bruins are holding enough salary cap space to get him signed. It's hard to find a comparable because of Swayman's age. He's 25 and already quite accomplished with 79 wins, a 2.34 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and 12 shutouts in 132 NHL games. He played an NHL career-high 44 games last season and was one of the top goalies in the League with 25 wins, a 2.53 GAA, .916 save percentage and three shutouts.

Swayman's situation is different than most as an unquestioned (now that Boston traded Linus Ullmark) No. 1 as an RFA. Juuse Saros is four years older, he signed an eight-year, $61.92 million contract ($7.74 million AAV) with the Nashville Predators on July 1 and was one year away from unrestricted free agency. Connor Hellebuyck's seven-year, $59.5 million contract with the Winnipeg Jets ($8.5 million AAV) was signed before last season, when he was 30 and one year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Thatcher Demko was 25 and a pending RFA when he signed his five-year, $25 million contract ($5 million AAV) with the Vancouver Canucks on March 31, 2021, but he wasn't nearly as accomplished as Swayman at the same age. Demko only had 30 wins and 62 NHL starts at the time he signed. Andrei Vasilevskiy had just turned 25 when he signed his eight-year, $76 million contract ($9.5 million) with the Tampa Bay Lightning on July 29, 2019. Thought not yet a Stanley Cup champion, he was the 2019 Vezina Trophy winner. That was also before the salary cap flattened because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The cap is rising again, which benefits Swayman.

If Swayman wants an eight-year contract, the number possibly could dip below $9 million because the term creates added value over the years, but it's still reasonable to think it starts with a nine. And if he wants a five- or six-year contract, it could absolutely jump to north of $9 million per season, perhaps in the $10 million AAV range. He is already one of the top goalies in the NHL and arguably just now entering the best window of his career, the prime years.

---

Oh the f***ing horror of a guy giving his well-informed, totally reasonable, totally fair opinion.

In fairness to you, though, I have no idea if Rosen is also a Steelers fan. Just in case we should all be a dick to both him and someone who had the audacity to merely share Rosen's thoughts on a quick blog.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
First off, the person you're insulting, Jacob Punturi, didn't claim to be a Bruins insider. Nor did he claim to have inside information. He didn't even do any speculating of his own. He aggregated the work of Dan Rosen, Senior Writer for NHL.com.

Rosen is quite obviously legit, but not even he claimed to have inside information about negotiations. The piece that has you insulting "some Gen Z" was a mailbag, where a reader asked Rosen for his take.

Here's the entire portion on Swayman that you think makes it okay to be patronizing to people just doing their jobs.

(Emphasis mine)

---

WHAT DO YOU THINK Jeremy Swayman's next contract is going to look like? Who are the comps? -- @rayguarino

Swayman could realistically get north of $9 million per season depending on the length of his contract with the Boston Bruins. The goalie is a restricted free agent, but the Bruins are holding enough salary cap space to get him signed. It's hard to find a comparable because of Swayman's age. He's 25 and already quite accomplished with 79 wins, a 2.34 goals-against average, .919 save percentage and 12 shutouts in 132 NHL games. He played an NHL career-high 44 games last season and was one of the top goalies in the League with 25 wins, a 2.53 GAA, .916 save percentage and three shutouts.

Swayman's situation is different than most as an unquestioned (now that Boston traded Linus Ullmark) No. 1 as an RFA. Juuse Saros is four years older, he signed an eight-year, $61.92 million contract ($7.74 million AAV) with the Nashville Predators on July 1 and was one year away from unrestricted free agency. Connor Hellebuyck's seven-year, $59.5 million contract with the Winnipeg Jets ($8.5 million AAV) was signed before last season, when he was 30 and one year away from becoming an unrestricted free agent. Thatcher Demko was 25 and a pending RFA when he signed his five-year, $25 million contract ($5 million AAV) with the Vancouver Canucks on March 31, 2021, but he wasn't nearly as accomplished as Swayman at the same age. Demko only had 30 wins and 62 NHL starts at the time he signed. Andrei Vasilevskiy had just turned 25 when he signed his eight-year, $76 million contract ($9.5 million) with the Tampa Bay Lightning on July 29, 2019. Thought not yet a Stanley Cup champion, he was the 2019 Vezina Trophy winner. That was also before the salary cap flattened because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The cap is rising again, which benefits Swayman.

If Swayman wants an eight-year contract, the number possibly could dip below $9 million because the term creates added value over the years, but it's still reasonable to think it starts with a nine. And if he wants a five- or six-year contract, it could absolutely jump to north of $9 million per season, perhaps in the $10 million AAV range. He is already one of the top goalies in the NHL and arguably just now entering the best window of his career, the prime years.

---

Oh the f***ing horror of a guy giving his well-informed, totally reasonable, totally fair opinion.

In fairness to you, though, I have no idea if Rosen is also a Steelers fan. Just in case we should all be a dick to both him and someone who had the audacity to merely share Rosen's thoughts on a quick blog.
I’m humiliated

Thanks Mike

I leave in shame

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Gordoff and sooshii
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad