Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What if the sport generates billions of dollars…. Should the entertainers get less so the owners can get more?
NESN should forget showing the games and just show Sweeney and Neely eating lunch in the conference room while Evan Gold looks at spreadsheets.

I'd say they could show Monty Jacobs, but that would involve sending a camera crew to Buffalo instead of Boston.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What if the sport generates billions of dollars…. Should the entertainers get less so the owners can get more?
Players should get more, I pay to watch the players not Monty Burns

NESN should forget showing the games and just show Sweeney and Neely eating lunch in the conference room while Evan Gold looks at spreadsheets.

I'd say they could show Monty Jacobs, but that would involve sending a camera crew to Buffalo instead of Boston.
By the middle of August I would probably watch this

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If we're looking at his age 22 to 25 seasons, his numbers are not far off from Tuukka Rask.

View attachment 898004

Rask signed his big contract at age 26 and Swayman turns 26 in November. If you gave Swayman the same contract that Rask got (based on today's cap), it'd be an 8yr/$9.5 million deal.
Is that why the Bruins never signed a RW, to play with Krecji after Horton got hurt, because they didn't have the cap space.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Is that why the Bruins never signed a RW, to play with Krecji after Horton got hurt, because they didn't have the cap space.

Myth. Loui Eriksson and Jerome Iginla both scored 30 goals playing with Krejci, which is more goals than Horton had with him. It was only after they were gone that Krejci didn't have wingers.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
No, but too many times the greed from both players and owners seems insatiable.

One example, I said at the time that the twin $10.5 million contracts for Toews and Kane would kill the Hawks and they did eventually.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Myth. Loui Eriksson and Jerome Iginla both scored 30 goals playing with Krejci, which is more goals than Horton had with him. It was only after they were gone that Krejci didn't have wingers.
Krecji played more than two years, they could not find a Rw for him Ignila played one year and left, maybe because there no cap space left after signing Tuuka.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Boooooo!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Screenshot 2024-07-30 at 4.30.02 PM.png

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
For those that follow Providence and Bussi , is he capable of being the backup now ? I don’t know from what I heard he seemed ready . It makes the Korpi signing a head scratcher.
Yes, but the Bruins are big on having guys win spots on the team. Many here and elsewhere mentioned that there would be a very good chance the Bruins would have signed a veteran goaltender to compete with Bussi in the first place, and Korpisalo ended up being that goaltender. Others have said DiPietro could be a dark horse to make the team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yes, but the Bruins are big on having guys win spots on the team. Many here and elsewhere mentioned that there would be a very good chance the Bruins would have signed a veteran goaltender to compete with Bussi in the first place, and Korpisalo ended up being that goaltender. Others have said DiPietro could be a dark horse to make the team.
DiPietro likely becomes the default starter in PRO, whether or not Bussi's the tandem or not.... it's also why DiPietro was the Black Ace G for the playoff run....

Reactions: Absurdity

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

No idea. Feel free to go back to each of those seasons and analyze the Bruins cap to see if Rask was the reason they didn't bring in a Top 6 RW.

• Haha
Reactions: NDiesel

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No idea. Feel free to go back to each of those seasons and analyze the Bruins cap to see if Rask was the reason they didn't bring in a Top 6 RW.
It is not narrowed down to two seasons, and it was not just the cap, but also managements inability too obtain a legit wing for Krecji. I think you feel that Swayman should get 9-9.5 mil and it is a good signing, I am not of that opinion, not that I do not think he is a capable goaltender, but he has not shown he can handle the load of being a number 1 tender, also that cap could be used to get help het a goal scorer, to take some of the scoring burden off Pasta. I also think E. Lindholm signing is a joke he is good player not a #1 C...........Now if a Lysell, or a Merkolov, or Poitras can have big years, that would certainly help Sweeney's case......... but for me they are long shots.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
No, but too many times the greed from both players and owners seems insatiable.

One example, I said at the time that the twin $10.5 million contracts for Toews and Kane would kill the Hawks and they did eventually.
That’s what makes the salary cap fun. Gives the rest of the league a chance to be competitive. I’d be ok with no salary cap. Bruins could kill that. Teams with deep pockets could sign everyone.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It is not narrowed down to two seasons, and it was not just the cap, but also managements inability too obtain a legit wing for Krecji. I think you feel that Swayman should get 9-9.5 mil and it is a good signing, I am not of that opinion, not that I do not think he is a capable goaltender, but he has not shown he can handle the load of being a number 1 tender, also that cap could be used to get help het a goal scorer, to take some of the scoring burden off Pasta. I also think E. Lindholm signing is a joke he is good player not a #1 C...........Now if a Lysell, or a Merkolov, or Poitras can have big years, that would certainly help Sweeney's case......... but for me they are long shots.

All I did was point to comparable deal based on age and body of work. I'd love to get him signed to around $7 million. If that was a deal that worked for both sides then I'd imagine that deal would have already been signed. One thing to think about from the previous years is that COVID stalled out the expected year over year increases of the cap. This past season all the money was finally paid back and we see a significant jump in cap, and we should continue to see solid cap growth going forward.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
All I did was point to comparable deal based on age and body of work. I'd love to get him signed to around $7 million. If that was a deal that worked for both sides then I'd imagine that deal would have already been signed. One thing to think about from the previous years is that COVID stalled out the expected year over year increases of the cap. This past season all the money was finally paid back and we see a significant jump in cap, and we should continue to see solid cap growth going forward.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Frederic is going to have a great season, if the Lysells, Merkulovs, PTOs and whoever else they try at 2RW fail Frederic could easily be a 25g, 25A guy with some power play time who will hit, scrap and play a well above average defensive game.

5x5 with a NMC would be a steal.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I have no problem with what you are saying, and I, agree 7 mil should be the number. I just do not want to hurt management's ability to add at some point to this roster if they do not have some young guys take over and produce. MacAvoy and Pasta got their money and they deserved it, maybe Charlie's contract if it came in a little under might have been more helpful, but he is a good player and a everyday player so it still works for me. I just hope the Bruins do not get into a Toronto, Edmonton, situation.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Wouldn't it be funny if Swayman's agent looked at puckpedia.
"Hmmm, the B's currently have 8.64 mill in cap space. We'll take 8.6 for 7 years"

Seriously, I want the guy signed. I hope it gets done soon and for a fair value/term.
If you've ever watched "American Pickers" you'll have heard the phrase "leave a little meat on the bones."
Usually it's Mike saying it to a person that he's trying to negotiate down in price.
IOW, "Leave a little meat on the bones so that Sweeney can still get some stuff done now, during the season or at the TDL.
IMO Swayman deserves every penny of $8.6 million year but (being a Bruins fan first and foremost) I want him signed for 7-8 years at the lowest number possible so that Don Sweeney can work his magic.
If it ends up being (hypothetically speaking) $6,750 million, that leaves Don Sweeney $1,650 left to wheel and deal. Maybe he won't pick up a guy on a PTO but if they're lucky with injury that $1,650 (meat left on the bone) would grow to significant amount for DS to do something.
Obviously, if it's for $8++ Sweeney shoes will feel real tight.
So, while I want Swayman signed asap, I care mostly about the bottom line.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Krecji played more than two years, they could not find a Rw for him Ignila played one year and left, maybe because there no cap space left after signing Tuuka.

My point was Krejci had two 30 goal scoring wingers after Horton left. The post claimed he had no real wingers after Horton got hurt.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Swayman takes them in dollars he better be God-like

He’s fantastic, adorable, marketable, but in this place he better not screw up especially if his contract seems/perceived high

This is a place 20% hate Tatum & Pastrnak

I’ve already heard it at the games and more than one person

Reactions: Gordoff

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Frederic is going to have a great season, if the Lysells, Merkulovs, PTOs and whoever else they try at 2RW fail Frederic could easily be a 25g, 25A guy with some power play time who will hit, scrap and play a well above average defensive game.

5x5 with a NMC would be a steal.
I prefer Frederic and Geekie on line 3 where they seemed to have good chemistry together. Having either guy in a top 6 role is beyond their skill set in my opinion. I don’t think either guy can be counted on to consistently produce offense, playing on line 3 they don’t have to .

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Swayman takes them in dollars he better be God-like

He’s fantastic, adorable, marketable, but in this place he better not screw up especially if his contract seems/perceived high

This is a place 20% hate Tatum & Pastrnak

I’ve already heard it at the games and more than one person
I can only imagine the treatment he'll get if he's bad. Tuukka gave them unreal goaltending every year + playoffs and still got shit on at the end of every season

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I can only imagine the treatment he'll get if he's bad. Tuukka gave them unreal goaltending every year + playoffs and still got shit on at the end of every season
Got to admit I was surprised because I didn’t think the goals were soft but didn’t matter to a few people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad