Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV, Bought Out 6/29/24

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Holding on to him doesn't help the cap in any meaningful way and hurts it big time this year which could be a make or break year for the GM.
The last part is key. They are doing deals because they are desperate when they will ultimately battle for the 8th playoff spot. Just dumb. And sorry, waiting a year may save Pegula just $4 M in real dollars versus $7.3 M but saying it doesn't help the cap? What? Huh. For starters, they save $5 M in cap in 2025-26 and $3 M in 2026-27. But the penalty is only $2 for two years.

People keep making up facts about this buyout.

The biggest what-if is whether the $7.5 M in savings will actually be used in 2024-25. The Pegula Sabres have not spent to the cap in four years. They haven't used cap space for retentions or for picks. This team has an internal budget. The cap doesn't matter.

Just feel like in a few years we'll be looking back wondering if holding on to him for an extra year would have really been that bad
The only way it on't is if Pegula continues to have an internal budget for team -- then the cap doesn't matter.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
The last part is key. They are doing deals because they are desperate when they will ultimately battle for the 8th playoff spot. Just dumb. And sorry, waiting a year may save Pegula just $4 M in real dollars versus $7.3 M but saying it doesn't help the cap? What? Huh. For starters, they save $5 M in cap in 2025-26 and $3 M in 2026-27. But the penalty is only $2 for two years.

People keep making up facts about this buyout.

The biggest what-if is whether the $7.5 M in savings will actually be used in 2024-25. The Pegula Sabres have not spent to the cap in four years. They haven't used cap space for retentions or for picks. This team has an internal budget. The cap doesn't matter.

The only way it on't is if Pegula continues to have an internal budget for team -- then the cap doesn't matter.
how about we wait a month before seeing what the team looks like instead of making up scenarios in your head to claim yourself correct already?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
how about we wait a month before seeing what the team looks like instead of making up scenarios in your head to claim yourself correct already?

I have seen two years of no spending evidence. Everyone gave team a pass for the first two years of being under the cap out of four. M included. The explanations for last two years are garbage. I agree, come October will we have more information. But the team could be at $75 M cap and I would hear excuses as I did last year and year before.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
So it saves Terry money overall, but doesn’t really fit our timeline to do it now.

I’m with JC on this, I just don’t trust that there’s actually a replacement player. I don’t trust that Pegula is gonna spend. I think the impetus for this is saving 7 mil right off the bat, and he’s likely gonna sell in a few years. This benefits Terry, and somehow he’s hoodwinked fans into thinking there’s a plan to turn this into a positive. We already don’t spend, how does Skinner’s contract change that?

If we sign a legit top 6 forward not named Necas I’ll eat my hat. And no, I don’t consider Necas a real move- that’d be giving up draft capital to move laterally and save money, which the cynical part of me fears is what will happen.

Yeah, because Lindy Ruff probably took this job with no assurances that they were in it to win.

This Pegula is cheap narrative is idiotic.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Right.

Because paying Ruff AND Granato is cheaper than just paying Granato, who he could have chose to keep for another year.

You really should think before you spout.

The revisionist history here is certainly somethin, I’d suggest you do the same but I’m not sure your memory is working correctly.

Fans were beyond fed-up with Granato, keeping him wasn’t an option. It’d be risking another playoff miss, sales in general would have suffered- he couldn’t afford to be that outwardly cheap.

So instead he hires a nostalgic pick, a guy who woulda had zero other head coaching offers. Almost fired by NJ after already being demoted to assistant coach for awhile, then Brunette rescues his ass for a year, then he actually gets fired because he’s a goddamn dinosaur who does not adjust to the modern game, and Buffalo knows nostalgia if nothing else so they hire him.

That’s my last word on it, I’m not gonna keep arguing with people 3 kool-aids deep.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The revisionist history here is certainly somethin, I’d suggest you do the same but I’m not sure your memory is working correctly.

Fans were beyond fed-up with Granato, keeping him wasn’t an option. It’d be risking another playoff miss, sales in general would have suffered- he couldn’t afford to be that outwardly cheap.

So instead he hires a nostalgic pick, a guy who woulda had zero other head coaching offers. Almost fired by NJ after already being demoted to assistant coach for awhile, then Brunette rescues his ass for a year, then he actually gets fired because he’s a goddamn dinosaur who does not adjust to the modern game, and Buffalo knows nostalgia if nothing else so they hire him.

That’s my last word on it, I’m not gonna keep arguing with people 3 kool-aids deep.

Nah, no kool-aid drinker here. I am questioning a lot this franchise does. I just don’t buy for one second that Terry Pegula is cheap. I would agree he’s one of the worst owners in the NHL but cheap? No way.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
There is an "All Things Pegula" thread. If you want to constantly bitch about Pegula, go there. You can all circle jerk each other about how horrible Pegula is in there for infinitum. But please keep this tired and repetitive bullshit out of every other thread. It adds absolutely zero to the discussion. I'd rather field calls about extending my car's warranty than to keep reading this over and over.

Last edited:

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
There is an "All Things Pegula" thread. If you watch to constantly bitch about Pegula, go there. You can all circle jerk each other about how horrible Pegula is in there for infinitum. But please keep this tired and repetitive bullshit out of every other thread. It adds absolutely zero to the discussion. I'd rather field calls about extending my car's warranty than to keep reading this over and over.
Citing Pegula's idiocy is not completely unwarranted in a discussion about buying out a contract that Pegula himself was instrumental in pushing his GM to get done at any cost,

Well, it's now gonna cost him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
But the "Pegula is an idiot" narrative is quite compelling.
Hey now, let's not rule out this narrative of him being an idiot. Being an idiot and being cheap are two different things. Pegula hasn't shown himself to be cheap, but it's an easy argument to make that he's an idiot.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Skinner has said many times that playing close to home is his #1 priority. That's why he would only waive to Buffalo or Toronto before. This is why he's not waiving now.

If we buy him out, it's not going to shock me if he takes a stupidly cheap deal to play for Toronto or maybe even just doesn't play at all.
His girlfriend lives in Nashville, by the way.

Maybe it wasn't there yet when he was trading from Canes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad