Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner -- Bought Out 6/29/24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not sure any of the rookies are going to be better defensively than Skinner but if they are similar while providing similar output... that makes things possible.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm not sure any of the rookies are going to be better defensively than Skinner but if they are similar while providing similar output... that makes things possible.
Benson's not a rookie and was better than Skinner defensively last year.

I think our top six will be ok (not great -- ok). If we can build an above-average bottom six, we'll make the playoffs. Finding a great winger would be a bonus this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Benson's not a rookie and was better than Skinner defensively last year.

I think our top six will be ok (not great -- ok). If we can build an above-average bottom six, we'll make the playoffs. Finding a great winger would be a bonus this year.

Benson's a different sort of player. Expecting every rookie to be like him isn't fair to the other guys.

In the meantime, Skinner's time had come to a close. I would imagine there are some teams who will be interested but since he wasn't willing to waive the NMC to go anywhere, this is what has led to.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Benson's a different sort of player. Expecting every rookie to be like him isn't fair to the other guys.

In the meantime, Skinner's time had come to a close. I would imagine there are some teams who will be interested but since he wasn't willing to waive the NMC to go anywhere, this is what has led to.
I don't expect every rookie to be like Benson (though Savoie might be). I'm just saying that even if we can't find a veteran top-six winger in trade or UFA, we may still have a better top-six this year after moving on from Skinner.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The saddest thing about this, is who will host Between two Stalls?
I will miss Skinner but I bet he's happy to pick a destination. He can chase money or a cup.
Would be cool to see him win it all with Mittelstadt. Less cool if he goes to Toronto...

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Weird, everyone was fine with him when he scored 82 points 2 seasons ago. Everyone was fine with him the year before when he scored 33 goals, 63 points, as well.

If you honestly think this is the start of his decline, ok, that’s an argument. If you’ve honestly felt his defensive a problem all along and that this was inevitable, sure. But I think a lot of folks will claim that second way of thinking, when really this has just gained momentum the past 6 months. Terry wants to save money, scapegoating Jeff is just the best way of doing that, and the Sabres have somehow masterfully gotten Sabres fans on their side with that.

If a rookie steps up and replaces him, sweet, it works out for once, but I don’t think we’re signing anyone special. Saying he doesn’t fit is an easy cop-out. Kuznetsov fit the Canes, but we can’t make Skinner work? Seemed to work 2 seasons ago. Sure, the line was all offense- remind me, why are Tuch’s and Thompson’s defensive failings on Skinner?

I get it, he’s the easy target in the witch-hunt, I’m just saying this doesn’t make us better. We aren’t better right now, so whatever the f*** some are celebrating- wait until an actual trade happens or they hit the ice and look improved. Until that happens I think we’ve just kinda fallen for the brass’ spin on this.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Weird, everyone was fine with him when he scored 82 points 2 seasons ago. Everyone was fine with him the year before when he scored 33 goals, 63 points, as well.
I mean, you sort of answered your own question in the first paragraph.

When Skinner was producing, engaged, and whatnot his warts could be ignored. But when he's not, you can't ignore them.

The big problem, at least to me, is the influence he may have had on the youngsters in the lineup. They need veterans that show them the right way to play winning hockey in the NHL.

Skinner was most definitely not that person.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I mean, you sort of answered your own question in the first paragraph.

When Skinner was producing, engaged, and whatnot his warts could be ignored. But when he's not, you can't ignore them.

The big problem, at least to me, is the influence he may have had on the youngsters in the lineup. They need veterans that show them the right way to play winning hockey in the NHL.

Skinner was most definitely not that person.

Eh, I think that assumes a lot in a wholly negative way, and kinda speaks to the scapegoating I see. Dude was on bad Canes teams and then worse Sabres ones. Not saying he’s done a ton to turn that all around, but he’s also seemingly never caused problems, took the Kruegering ok, has never had issues and does well in the community it seems. Again, if he’s in the locker room saying “ya relax man, it’s not that serious” then that’s a problem, but we have absolutely no evidence of that. If he’s just a guy you shouldn’t necessarily emulate on the ice, ok, guys are smart enough to separate that shit, and coaches are there to help. Idk, agree to disagree, but this is the (to me) odd sorta leap I’m seeing, justifications created out of nowhere.

Oh, and he was undoubtedly off last year. He’s bounced back before, is my point in the first part. If he has no explanation/promise to do better I’d understand, but we all just seem to assume the worst- when I assume the worst I assume he’s gonna go score 60+ points in Toronto and be a key cog there. We’ll see. It’s not like the *checks notes* past 2 Stanley cup champs have made better use of our disposed parts, but I’m sure this one will go better.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I called the Skinner buyout on May 19th. Over one month before it happened and the story broke.

Its fun reading the responses saying it wont happen.

Reactions: Club

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Had to buy him out. Only one bad cap hit year. I can't see inside the locker room but seems like a plus to buy him out in culture/win at all costs terms. Could see him helping a team like the mid 2010s Bruins but not us. He's offense only and soft and a bunch of our forwards are like that unfortunately. Skinner was the oldest, most expensive, most losing a step of all the offense only soft forwards.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Is there anything to back up the idea that Skinner is some kind of problem in the locker room? Feels like people are just connecting a few dots that are vaguely there (was on losing teams in Carolina and Buffalo, doesn't play defense, etc) and just extrapolating it into "Skinner single handedly ruins everything he touches and is the cause of everything wrong in our lives so of course he has to go".

That being said, they bought him out for a reason, so maybe you're all onto something. I'm kinda coming in late but did they say why he was bought out?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Is there anything to back up the idea that Skinner is some kind of problem in the locker room? Feels like people are just connecting a few dots that are vaguely there (was on losing teams in Carolina and Buffalo, doesn't play defense, etc) and just extrapolating it into "Skinner is the cause of everything wrong in our lives so of course he has to go".

That being said, they bought him out for a reason, so maybe you're all onto something. I'm kinda coming in late but did they say why he was bought out?
Is he in the locker room causing problems? Probably not. In everything I ever saw, he seems like a really nice guy.

The players love him. That is the problem.

He's a leader by example whether he wants to be or not, simply because of his production in previous seasons, his longevity, and his contract. When he doesn't play hard or bother to work consistently for pucks or play defense, they notice. Hard to tell young players to play defense "or else" when they've seen Skinner get away with it for years.

EDIT: In my management classes they had a concept called "level setting". Reset your organizations expectations and then hold to those new levels. This is the NHL version of "level setting".

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Yeah, I mean there was a period after ditching Krueger and trading Eichel where this group needed to have fun again and I think Skinner was overall a positive back then... but there comes a point where the good vibes need to end and the kids kinda grow up and get serious, and maybe Skinner is a head that needs to roll to get there.

I guess I'm still just kinda surprised they actually did it. That's an expensive message to spend, both in cash and in replacing his production (however diminished it was by the end of last year).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

If you honestly think this is the start of his decline, ok, that’s an argument. If you’ve honestly felt his defensive a problem all along and that this was inevitable, sure. But I think a lot of folks will claim that second way of thinking, when really this has just gained momentum the past 6 months. Terry wants to save money, scapegoating Jeff is just the best way of doing that, and the Sabres have somehow masterfully gotten Sabres fans on their side with that.

If a rookie steps up and replaces him, sweet, it works out for once, but I don’t think we’re signing anyone special. Saying he doesn’t fit is an easy cop-out. Kuznetsov fit the Canes, but we can’t make Skinner work? Seemed to work 2 seasons ago. Sure, the line was all offense- remind me, why are Tuch’s and Thompson’s defensive failings on Skinner?

I get it, he’s the easy target in the witch-hunt, I’m just saying this doesn’t make us better. We aren’t better right now, so whatever the f*** some are celebrating- wait until an actual trade happens or they hit the ice and look improved. Until that happens I think we’ve just kinda fallen for the brass’ spin on this.

Age is the one opponent who remains undefeated.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Age is the one opponent who remains undefeated.
Eh, this contract was always a bad idea. His scoring always swung year to year.

The cautionary tale is you don't pay someone a massive contract with term and a NMC after an outlier year, which is what we did for Skinner.

I called this deal a 'This is a desperate bad deal made by a desperate, bad team' the day it was signed. And it was. Well overmarket. Full NMC. Max term. For a guy that had good year/bad year alternating his whole career.

In his 5 years here, we got his two best years and two worst years and a middling year. Age surely doesn't help, but he is who we thought he was.

Reactions: debaser66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad