Jarome Iginla vs. Auston Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's better

• Jarome Iginla

Votes: 187 47.6%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 206 52.4%

• Total voters

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
its been a long time man, I honestly cant remember what awards Iggy won. somethings in life are more important than remembering every hockey players awards to the last detail.

think I seen above he won 2x rockets. Matthews is already passed that and and has easily 10 or more seasons left in him
You can't remember that one of the greatest goal scorers of all time competed for and won rockets, yet we are supposed to trust your 'memory' of pre lockout Iggy?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I said likely still ahead. then what are the adjusted stats?

well McDavid lost a Hart and Lindsay to Matthews so can happen. but was Iginla winning the Art Ross on a yearly basis? no? okay so he had a awesome season and won it once. has he won any Rockets, Hart or Lindsay?
He had 2 Rocket Richard trophies. Same number as Matthews. Also has a Lester Pearson.

• Love
Reactions: Craft Beer Lover

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Matthews and it’s really odd seeing the poll this close.

Folks here fawn over hall of famers. I’ve watched Iginla since he entered the league, Matthews is a better player.
I think people appreciate the power forward skillset. Like how in football you can't win a title without a running back that is willing to run himself into the ground for a handful of years and then retire, you need a gritty power forward type player on your team. Its why an over the hill with scandal issues Evander Kane fetched interest. Its a coveted skillset, even if it doesn't lend itself towards longevity. Iginla peaked with the best of them man. It just didn't last that long.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
He had 2 Rocket Richard trophies. Same number as Matthews. Also has a Lester Pearson.
Matthews has 3 rockets now, I think 21,22,24 covid shutting down one game after both OV and Pastrnak took the lead may have robbed him of a 4th in 2020 or maybe that was 19 Im not 100% sure cant remember but it would have been his 1st rocket potentially

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You can't remember that one of the greatest goal scorers of all time competed for and won rockets, yet we are supposed to trust your 'memory' of pre lockout Iggy?
I mean he's ranked 17th with 625 goals in 1500+ games Matthews right now has 368 in 562 games.
Iginla ranks 17th which is still very solid but very easy to assume at this point Matthews is going to pass him by a wide margin.

and no it's been 20 years since he last won. I dunno about you but I dont think of Iginla every day

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
So you don't watch either play huh? Matthews doesn't play the game anything like a power forward, he isn't physically intimidating along the board battles nor does he out muscle skaters at all like Iginla did. Then you bring up raw numbers comparing a dead puck era player and Matthews getting 2 first place Selke votes. Yikes. Just admit you don't watch them play if you can't say a single nuanced thing about either player.

You actually used teammate argument to devalue Iginla? Iginla never played on a team with as much support as Matthews continues to have each season. I guess Matthews had the benefit of being surrounded by elite talent these last couple years, otherwise he only gets a couple Richard trophies and he is no different than Iginla :sarcasm:

No, he doesn't. If he was on any other team he would never be in ridiculous polls in the first place. Love the victim complex. You already displayed a fundamental lack of understanding on how Matthews and Iginla play the game. You claim you watch all these games but maybe you should start wearing your glasses and look up from your phone every now and then, not just when the lamp goes off.

If Iginla was so good on the boards and Matthews is so weak, please explain those takeaways/giveaways numbers. To be fair those only start in 07-08 so we don't have access to earlier numbers but it sure doesn't feed your false narrative that Iginla was a board beast and that Matthews is a softy that's always losing the puck.

1000002374.png
1000002375.png

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
If Iginla was so good on the boards and Matthews is so weak, please explain those takeaways/giveaways numbers. To be fair those only start in 07-08 so we don't have access to earlier numbers but it sure doesn't feed your false narrative that Iginla was a board beast and that Matthews is a softy that's always losing the puck.

View attachment 883882View attachment 883883
Most of matthews takeaways/giveaways are in open ice, not along the boards. I brought up Iggy as a power forward that wore down defenders and was a force along the boards and went to the dirty areas, and then you post giveaway/takeaway stats without any context from the laziest screenshot I have ever seen on here.

I am going to wash my hands of this section of the site. Its a cess pool. I think there was a handful of posters that picked Matthews and made sense doing it. Cheers to you all for a good discussion. I am done with this part of HF until they get the bots and trolls under control, this is just blatant.

Jagr and Lindros were not what they were in the late 90s. They weren't competing for awards at that point in their careers.
Like this comment. Jagr won an Art Ross in 2001 and a Pearson in 2006. Is this serious? My head hurts.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Like this comment. Jagr won an Art Ross in 2001 and a Pearson in 2006. Is this serious? My head hurts.
We're talking about Iginla's Art Ross competition here. You know, the season Jagr finished 5th in points and 3rd in PPG, and then not coming close to Art Ross production in his remaining days as a Capital after years of domination with the penguins.

Jagr's 2006 and 2001 seasons are completely irrelevant here. Iginla wasn't competing for trophies those seasons

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Matthews has 3 rockets now, I think 21,22,24 covid shutting down one game after both OV and Pastrnak took the lead may have robbed him of a 4th in 2020 or maybe that was 19 Im not 100% sure cant remember but it would have been his 1st rocket potentially
You're right. I didn't count this year.

Jagr and Lindros were not what they were in the late 90s. They weren't competing for awards at that point in their careers.
Jagr put up 123 points in 05-06 and is still playing today lol.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Obviously I'm going Iginla as a Flames fan, but it's pretty tough to compare. Obviously offensive stats were much more neutered in Jarome's peak. Both guys have a ridiculous shot.

I just don't think we've seen Matthews take over important games at this point like we saw from Iginla (eg. 2002 Olympic gold medal game, game 7 vs. Vancouver 2004), so that's why you have to go Iginla

• Love

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
I never argued leadership but okay ill give Iginla that he;s a better leader. Matthews still plays a much more important position and I dunno what you mean by soft, guy hits and blocks shots as an elite C, what exactly makes him soft? because he doesnt fight? I dont think you want guys with wrist problems that can score 60+ goals a season to drop the gloves.

but okay so Iginla is a better leader. thats pretty much all that he trumps Matthews in.
Matthews is a center in name only. Dude is a left wing like the sun will rise tomorrow.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If Auston Matthews had to play through even half the shit Jarome Iginla did, he’d retire.

Next.
You aren't probably arent wrong and the game has changed is much softer these days. Both are great players. One guy would do anything towin and one disappears when times get toughs. Vinny vs Iglinia stanley cup fight was one of the best ever. Captain on captain , 50 goal scorer versus 50 goal scorer, and two captains willing to sacrifice their body and take some pain to win the cup. I couldn't imagine Matthews fighitng any guy that can throw hands.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Yeah, it's AM comfortably.

He's a generational scorer that ranks among the top forwards in defensive stats like shot blocks & takeaways. So what if he doesn't hit as hard as Iggy? Please.

As for Iginla's Art Ross. Bertuzzi had a higher PPG that year. Todd Bertuzzi.
Also, if Jagr hadn't missed about a dozen games he likely wins it. So yes, he did lead the league in points on year. So did Jamie Benn. And no one's using that to claim he's better than Matthews either.

• Haha

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I'd say it was a robbery as one Habs voter left Iginla off their ballot completely.

Edit: Theodore and Iginla were tied for voting points, Theodore won with the tie breaker being first place votes. If that Habs voter had given Iginla even a single point, he wins.

In 2001-2002 a French-Canadian was the only person to leave Iginla off his Hart ballot entirely, in an effort to help Theodore win it. It worked, because they were tied, but Theodore won the tie breaker for having more 1st place votes.
Can we put that stupid urban legend to rest already? Here are the 2001-02 Hart votes.

Theodore (26-16-9-5-2) - Total 58
Iginla (23-18-12-5-3) - Total 61

One voter left Iginla off his ballot. FOUR left Theodore out entirely and he still managed to win.

The Flames didn't make the playoffs, which could have been be the cutoff for that voter. What was the excuse to ignore Theodore, who dragged a team with one 44+ points player into the postseason? None. That BS robbery story have long been debunked.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Can we put that stupid urban legend to rest already? Here are the 2001-02 Hart votes.

Theodore (26-16-9-5-2) - Total 58
Iginla (23-18-12-5-3) - Total 61

One voter left Iginla off his ballot. FOUR left Theodore out entirely and he still managed to win.

The Flames didn't make the playoffs, which could have been be the cutoff for that voter. What was the excuse to ignore Theodore, who dragged a team with one 44+ points player into the postseason? None. That BS robbery story have long been debunked.

Iginla was expected to win it. Theodore didn't get votes because some thought he didn't deserve it. That's the difference. Not having Iginla on your ballot was insane, and it's obvious why he was left off.

There were literally news articles along the lines of "Theodore beats out heavy favorite Iginla for the Hart" at the time. You can easily Google it.

You call it an urban legend. The rest of the world calls it reality...

1 of many many articles at the time:
Théodore is MVP in stunning upset

Last edited:
Reactions: InfinityIggy

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Iginla was expected to win it. Theodore didn't get votes because some thought he didn't deserve it. That's the difference. Not having Iginla on your ballot was insane, and it's obvious why he was left off.

There were literally news articles along the lines of "Theodore beats out heavy favorite Iginla for the Hart" at the time. You can easily Google it.

You call it an urban legend. The rest of the world calls it reality...

1 of many many articles at the time:
Théodore is MVP in stunning upset

You would almost think the first rule of sports there is no guarantee EVER of winning till you do. The irony of your post is the same people who VOTED was shocked that other people didn’t have the same view as they did. If only people could learn to look past there egos and understand that you can ever only speak for YOURSELF with one vote.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but you clearly don't watch hockey that much. Or you don't really know the game. Matthews doesn't create offense, and doesn't play a traditional center role. Marner is the one that is tasked with dishing out the puck on the top line, and that is something the leaf players and coaching staff have even talked about. It is not a secret. To blindly take Matthews because 'he plays the more important position' is a pretty weak argument.

Then you go on to post numbers. Bud, Iginla won the Rocket scoring 41 goals. That is 16 goals less than Sam Reinhart this season. Can you make an argument past the numbers, because that is beyond weak to blindly compare numbers.

The reality is, the majority of people who claim they watched Iginla play saw post lockout Iginla, who was done competing for major awards and was in the back half of his career, and oh btw, older than Matthews now. I am pretty convinced only a handful of posters pounding their chest about Matthews and claiming Iginla is getting nostalgia votes didn't watch pre-lockout hockey.
I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but if you don't think Matthews creates offense you're the one who doesn't watch hockey that much

An MVP, 3x Rocket winner not creating offense is certainly a feat

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I would prefer Iginla and for me, it's not close.

I think the two are pretty close when breaking down all the nuances but I just like Iginla better as a player and leader on a team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Iginla is the better player for me when you factor all the traits a hockey player should be besides being a good goal scorer, such as in heart, fighting through crap, fighting your own battles and also fighting your teammates battles as well, leadership, there is only one thing Matthews is better at and that is regular season goal scoring at this point. Matthews book is not finished yet, but he has consistently underachieved in the playoffs, at some point one has to question what is more important to him, individual stats or winning a cup. If it is the latter he needs to show more heart and guts in the playoffs. Something that was never a question for Iggy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad