Jarome Iginla vs. Auston Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's better

• Jarome Iginla

Votes: 187 47.6%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 206 52.4%

• Total voters

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Iginla is talked as a legend because he played for the flames

He wasnt a generational player so treating him like sone untouchable player is crazy

Matthews has the better peak & prime. Career remains to be seen
Better peak?

You do realize that era adjusted stats have Iginla's best season ahead of Matthews, right?

Also, he was the best player in the world at one point. Matthews hasn't been.

Better physical player.

Better leader.

Way worse offensive teammates.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Until this thread, I didn't realize Iginla was 17th all-time in goals.

I still take AM, though. It's not like Iginla did much in the playoffs. I know people like to put him down, and it's easy because he's on the Leafs, but when his career ends, this will not be close.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
The people who are voting iggy are saying the same stuff. Matthews is “soft” or “he can’t win in the playoffs.” But if this is Matthews “not trying” with multiple Rockets, a Hart, Selke nomination, highest goal scoring season since Wayne, higher GFPG than Ovi… then God forbid the leauge when Matthews actually “tries.” I get the arguement tho. Iggy was unbelievable despite playing for some horrendous Flames teams, had an amazing playoff run in ‘04, and his awards and totals match up well against Matthews.

But if where talking pure skill? I don’t think it’s remotely close and I think most of this forum would agree.
Nobody is saying he is 'not trying' just that he is 'shut down' when it matters, and he can't adapt. Please tell me why he can score 69 goals in almost as many games, but then can't get more than a measly single goal when it matters, and outside of game 2, was he even a threat against the Bruins? Like you don't have to score, but could you pull two defenders and make a set up play, or make the goalie second guess whether you are going to shoot or pass on a shot.

These threads are always littered with 'The guy is a 69 goals scorer with Selke level defense' and 'omg, Hart winner in the shortened season!' as if that is a valid response to him failing to adapt when he gets keyed in on, and if he isn't burying goals than he provides very little offense in the way of opening of space on the ice for his teammates.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Iginla is often underappreciated due to the teams around him.

Matthews is the better player IMO.

That said, contributing the most to the team is what is most important in terms of greatness and Matthews is nowhere near Iginla at this point in that regard.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Nobody is saying he is 'not trying' just that he is 'shut down' when it matters, and he can't adapt. Please tell me why he can score 69 goals in almost as many games, but then can't get more than a measly single goal when it matters, and outside of game 2, was he even a threat against the Bruins? Like you don't have to score, but could you pull two defenders and make a set up play, or make the goalie second guess whether you are going to shoot or pass on a shot.

These threads are always littered with 'The guy is a 69 goals scorer with Selke level defense' and 'omg, Hart winner in the shortened season!' as if that is a valid response to him failing to adapt when he gets keyed in on, and if he isn't burying goals than he provides very little offense in the way of opening of space on the ice for his teammates.
Uhmm… 2021-2022 was not a shortened season…. I’m not making excuses for Matthews either. I know he’s not a playoff performer. With that being said, the fact that he has better per game statistics and an almost equivalent awards résumé before even hitting the age of 28 to Iginla should speak to his skill. Like I said again if we’re talking overall game and career, I can see the arguement for Iginla and that’s why this poll is so equal right now. If we’re talking skill, I don’t think it’s close.

Just watch the two guys play. Matthews ability to score anywhere on the ice is something we’ve never seen, Ovi included, since Wayne.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
How about Matthews wins a game beyond round one?
Iggy didn’t need to score to impact the game. He was a physical beast too. Matthews is a one dimensional player. A great player, for sure, but if he’s not scoring what is he going to contribute to winning?

What did Iginla contribute to winning? Nothing because he never won.

The one time he was in the main event he choked hard.

The way people are hyping him up in here you'd think he had the resume of Steve Yzerman.

Iginla was a great regular season goal scorer whose game got worse in the playoffs

Reactions: Voight and danny90

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Iginla was a better player physically I just don’t see the argument for him being as good offensively or defensively.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
If Iginla had to play center he may not even be an all-star caliber player, while Matthews could easily play the wing.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
If Iginla had to play center he may not even be an all-star caliber player, while Matthews could easily play the wing.
Iginla took a good amount of draws IIRC. Made him a really nice fantasy hockey player to have at the time.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
By the end of his career this should be Matthews by a decent margin. Better goal scorer, and better defensively at a tougher position to play.

Iginla will always be remembered as probably the best player in the Flames' history and a big time contributor on 2 gold medal winning Team Canada teams, and in that regard he may end up with a better legacy as a leader/ "winner".

Matthews will finish as the more decorated player individually. The only thing Iginla really has on him is an Art Ross but if we're being honest he probably doesn't win one if he has that same season in this era (or really any other era besides maybe the mid 2010's). Matthews 21/22 season was easily as good if not better offensively than Iginla's Art Ross season despite missing some games.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Matthews clearly the more skilled individual hockey player...

Iginla, by far, the better hockey player.

I don't think people realize how little talent Iggy played with his whole career in Calgary. He was literally a one-man show throughout, yet still finished with 600+ goals.

Heck, his 52-goal season he played with Craig Conroy & Dean Mcammond lol.

He had multiple seasons where he finished 20+ points ahead his closest teammate and 2 @ 30+ :amazed:

We saw what he looked like playing with elite talent around him on team Canada... Dominant.

Matthews is a great talent, but he's played his whole career with several elite scorers around him and in a league where scoring is way up . Swap their situations and Iggy tops 100pts regularly as well.

Then the intangibles... Leadership and competitiveness aren't close. Iggy all day.

Easy choice of who I'd build my team around.

Reactions: Minnesota Knudsens

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Matthews clearly the more skilled individual hockey player...

Iginla, by far, the better hockey player.

I don't think people realize how little talent Iggy played with his whole career in Calgary. He was literally a one-man show throughout, yet still finished with 600+ goals.

Heck, his 52-goal season he played with Craig Conroy & Dean Mcammond lol.

He had multiple seasons where he finished 20+ points ahead his closest teammate and 2 @ 30+ :amazed:

We saw what he looked like playing with elite talent around him on team Canada... Dominant.

Matthews is a great talent, but he's played his whole career with several elite scorers around him and in a league where scoring is way up . Swap their situations and Iggy tops 100pts regularly as well.

Then the intangibles... Leadership and competitiveness aren't close. Iggy all day.

Easy choice of who I'd build my team around.

He wasn't dominant on team Canada at all...

In 2010 he has one assist against USA, all his other points were against Norway and Germany...real tough competition there.

2006 when he supposed to be the man, the leader he was awful

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024

In 2010 he has one assist against USA, all his other points were against Norway and Germany...real tough competition there.

To be fair, that was a pretty big assist, while getting cross-checked in the back. Matthews would be out of the lineup for 5 games after that one.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
To be fair, that was a pretty big assist, while getting cross-checked in the back. Matthews would be out of the lineup for 5 games after that one.

Sure, it was...but to call him dominant is misleading.

Iginla is a goal scoring version of Joe Thornton just can't get it done when it matters

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Lol... Conveniently forgot about 2002, eh.

10 goals in 19 games through 3 Olympics
2 gold medals

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Sure, it was...but to call him dominant is misleading.

Iginla is a goal scoring version of Joe Thornton just can't get it done when it matters
First of all we just talked about a play in which he got it done when it mattered.

Secondly, I can’t believe the persistence of this belief on HF, that one great player can play with a bunch of scrubs and will his way to a cup. Name me a player that’s done it. If you put Matthews on the 04 Flames, does he win the cup?

Thirdly Thornton played with Marleau. Who is Iggy’s Marleau? How can we keep ignoring this point?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Lol... Conveniently forgot about 2002, eh.

10 goals in 19 games through 3 Olympics
2 gold medals

Oh yes, 2002... Yeah he scored two goals in the final game, what did he do the rest of the tournament? Nothing... The Olympics are 6 game exhibitions that should not be taken too seriously

We saw the real Iginla in the NHL playoffs as someone who just can't get it done when it truly matters

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad