Value of: Jakob Silfverberg (50/75% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Silfverberg for the last couple years seemed like injuries had sapped his skating ability. This season he's looked rejuvenated and closer to his old self, having an excellent defensive year. Also lately seeing a ramp up in production (5 points in last 5 games), perhaps at the right time to catch the eye of a contending team ahead of the deadline.

Silf would bring a ton of defensive stability to a team's lineup, since about year two in Anaheim he became just an incredibly smart, composed and responsible defensive player. He's also shown a knack for stepping up in the playoffs in the past, has 39 points in 44 games over his last four playoff runs with the Ducks, albeit quite a few years ago now.

I think he brings the type of reliability that coaches are asking their GMs to find at this time of year, though granted he's not your typical gritty warrior that some covet.

The sticking point here is cap hit, as no contender is taking him on at 5,250,000. Full retention from Anaheim still might not be enough for some, but a third team eating an additional 25% gets him down to a workable 1,312,500 (pro rated from that date on of course). I could see a few contending teams being interested at that point.

Team B gets Silfverberg @ 1.31M cap hit

Team C gets a 6th rounder for using a retention slot to eat roughly 350k real dollars

Ducks get a 3rd ?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
probably costs too much to be worth the time, with the double retention price.
maybe for a 5th round pick someone would do it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
probably costs too much to be worth the time, with the double retention price.
maybe for a 5th round pick someone would do it.
Last deadline the Pens acquired Bonino I believe it was from San Jose. They paid a 7th for him and gave the Habs a 4th, or 5th for the retention spot on his contract.

Assuming the Habs don't move Savard, or Allen, I could see them using their last retention spot for something like this to grab another 4th/5th.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Silfverberg for the last couple years seemed like injuries had sapped his skating ability. This season he's looked rejuvenated and closer to his old self, having an excellent defensive year. Also lately seeing a ramp up in production (5 points in last 5 games), perhaps at the right time to catch the eye of a contending team ahead of the deadline.

Silf would bring a ton of defensive stability to a team's lineup, since about year two in Anaheim he became just an incredibly smart, composed and responsible defensive player. He's also shown a knack for stepping up in the playoffs in the past, has 39 points in 44 games over his last four playoff runs with the Ducks, albeit quite a few years ago now.

I think he brings the type of reliability that coaches are asking their GMs to find at this time of year, though granted he's not your typical gritty warrior that some covet.

The sticking point here is cap hit, as no contender is taking him on at 5,250,000. Full retention from Anaheim still might not be enough for some, but a third team eating an additional 25% gets him down to a workable 1,312,500 (pro rated from that date on of course). I could see a few contending teams being interested at that point.

Team B gets Silfverberg @ 1.31M cap hit

Team C gets a 6th rounder for using a retention slot to eat roughly 350k real dollars

Ducks get a 3rd ?

real dollar matter in pass through retrntion.

he will be owed more than $1M in real cash post trade. Thsts about $300,000 to the pass thru team. It will cost more than a 6th. More like a 3rd. If the cap was the same but it was heavy bonus and $1M in salary thrn it might only cost a 6 th for pass thru.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
real dollar matter in pass through retrntion.

he will be owed more than $1M in real cash post trade. Thsts about $300,000 to the pass thru team. It will cost more than a 6th. More like a 3rd. If the cap was the same but it was heavy bonus and $1M in salary thrn it might only cost a 6 th for pass thru.

Did you even read the post? Already pointed out the real dollar implications.

Can you provide any example where a team received a 3rd rounder for eating that little salary (300-350k)?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If silf wants to go to a contender, I think Anaheim will find him a trade.

And I think he’d be a great add for a contender as a depth forward that plays good defensively. I imagine at worst a team pays a 4th and a later pick if they want double retention for a guy that has a great playoff history.

A really good buy low pick target if you can make the cap work

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Can you provide any example where a team received a 3rd rounder for eating that little salary (300-350k)?

there has been things posted on this in the past and blogs.

there are other factors that skew things like with gm favors from prior deals.

This is just for pure rentals by pass thru teams base on real dollars the pass through team pays

above $600K=1st
around $500K is a 2nd
around $350K is a 3rd.

there is going to be year to year variation depending on how many are in contention Near deadline and who has pass thru slots To use. These teams could be moving their own players too.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Technically, Patrick Kane. However, his big cap hit was the basis of that cost.

That valuation is questionable. Comparable salaried (>= $5 mil) players Foligno (4th) and Domi (6th+Korshkov's rights) directly refute it. Lehner (5th) and Savard (4th) are just underneath in the $4 mil range.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If we didnt have so many forwards that Berggren has to play in the A. I'd love to trade for Silvferberg. Dont know why people are talking about a 5th? He doesnt have that kind of negative value as a rental.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If we didnt have so many forwards that Berggren has to play in the A. I'd love to trade for Silvferberg. Dont know why people are talking about a 5th? He doesnt have that kind of negative value as a rental.
I think his cap prob hurts his value much but after retentions he’s a really good add for a bottom 6.

I think a team pays a 4th for silf at 50% and then prob a 6th for extra retention from 3rd team

Ducks prob only move him if he asks to go to a playoff team

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I’d move him for free if he wanted to chase a cup.
I think if he's moved, it'll be more than free but less than what he's worth because management will work to get him where he wants to go.

If a team gets him, it's going to be one of the more underrated moves of the deadline in terms of value. Silf still has the brain for the game, his offense isn't consistently what it used to be because of age, but he's a smart defensive player and has been really good this season, especially lately. I thought he was done, but I think he'd be really valuable as a high end 4th liner that can do spot duty on the 3rd and a guy that will improve a team's PK. He sometimes gets hate from Ducks fans because we need offense and until recently, he hasn't really provided that and he's overpaid (which with retention, prorated pay, and him being UFA at the end of the season shouldn't be an issue for a contender). The Lundestrom-McTavish-Silf line was actually really good for a few games right before the break.

Reactions: Firequacker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad