Jakob Chychrun or Noah Dobson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chychrun or Dobson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Both should’ve gone top 10. I’ll take the proven player in Chychrun.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Kind of a weird and random poll.

Dobson is a 2018 draftee being slow cooked in the NHL in his D+2 season. Chychrun is a 2016 draftee in his D+4 season. Not seeing the connection or the reason to compare the two.

Last edited:

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Voted Dobson cause he won Finland the game against Canada at WJC 2019.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
Kind of a weird and random poll.

Dobson is a 2018 draftee being slow cooked in the NHL in his D+2 season. Chychrun is a 2016 draftee in his D+4 season. Not seeing the connection or the reason to compare the two.
I put them together because to me they are similar in how they play and how well they skate. Both of them got drafted a little below where I thought they would... and I was curious about people’s opinions of the two.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Dobson’s step into the NHL was slowed by injuries and the Islanders’ solid blue line.

He will be a top-10 defenseman in the league in the Pietrangelo mold.
Jeez, no pressure.

I really like that kid for what it's worth, but those are amazing expectations.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Dobson’s step into the NHL was slowed by injuries and the Islanders’ solid blue line.

He will be a top-10 defenseman in the league in the Pietrangelo mold.

Petro never got walked like this at the same age.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Right now, Chychrun. Underrated player.

As for Dobson, it's hard to say. Is he not making the most of his ice time or is Trotz simply not playing him?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Petro never got walked like this at the same age.

I've seen him get walked(by Tavares actually), but I guess he was older than Dobson when it happened....wait, wouldn't that make it worse though - considering he was an experienced NHL d-man at the time and Dobson is a 19 year old rookie?

Right now, Chychrun. Underrated player.

As for Dobson, it's hard to say. Is he not making the most of his ice time or is Trotz simply not playing him?

Dobson actually played pretty well, especially later in the year. At times he looked like our most reliable D after Pelech went down and Pulock struggled in his absence. As of now though everyone is healthy and Trotz clearly values experience in the postseason, so Greene and Boychuk have filled that #6 spot.

I think you'll see Dobson step in full-time next year once Leddy and possibly Boychuk are dealt to cut some cap.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I put them together because to me they are similar in how they play and how well they skate. Both of them got drafted a little below where I thought they would... and I was curious about people’s opinions of the two.

While I can kind of understand your rationale, there is a pretty huge difference in experience level and where they are in their respective careers. That difference is why this poll makes so little sense to me.

Chychrun has 4 NHL seasons under his belt despite being so young. It's not difficult to see his skillset because there is a pretty decent sample size. He is a talented young LHD, you have a pretty good idea of what he can be and currently is.

Dobson is a rookie in the NHL that has primarily played on his off side in a very sheltered role. He has looked like a totally different player on his natural RD side, but he has less than 10 games on that side. How exactly do you get a good idea of his abilities in such a limited viewing? Even Isles fans don't know what he is yet, how does an outside fan know?

If you want to compare a 19/20 year old Chychrun to the current version of Dobson then I get it. Even comparing a theoretical 22 year old Dobson to the current version of Chychrun makes more sense then comparing them now.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Easily Dobson. Higher IQ. People choosing the “one who’s already good” is pure stupidity given Dobson is only 20

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad