Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The last one reached WAY over 1000 so heres part three. Guy is really ramping up his game, hitting, better passing, ya know all relative to a first couple a poor seasons after being drafted but NOW is turning into quite the player for us

I cant wait for the day where we can say he is a fan favourite :nod:

[mod insert]
PREVIOUS THREADS:

Draft thread
Pt. I
Pt. II (unavailable)
Pt. III (unavailable)
Pt. IV (unavailable)
Pt. V (unavailable)

Pt. VI
Pt. VIII
Pt. IX
Pt. X
Pt. XI
Pt. XII
Pt. XIII
Pt. XIV
Pt. XV
Pt. XVI
Pt. XVII
Pt. XVIII
Pt. XIX
Signs first contract out of ELC
Pt. XX (listed as "Part 2")

Last edited by a moderator:

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Unless he has a dramatic improvement next season, he will always be compared to Nylander and Ehlers. He is not a fan favourite, that's for sure. What happen to Petterson, Horvat and Boeser?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Unless he has a dramatic improvement next season, he will always be compared to Nylander and Ehlers. He is not a fan favourite, that's for sure. What happen to Petterson, Horvat and Boeser?

...say what, now?

I think Jake finishes with 35-45 points this season, and with 20-plus goals. He's been playing with a lot of confidence and smarts lately.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
First impression:

VirtanenHit.gif

First goal:

vp26dG.gif

The speed:

jv18-race.gif

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

He's fan favorite for everyone not hung up on the draft.
And he will be for anyone new to the team fandom... players in the fight always are.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I went with 35 to 40 points, but my hunch is that he's more likely to fall short than exceed that range. The problem is that when he has a relatively productive couple of games, his ppg suddenly looks like he'll crack 40 points. But then he has a few games with zero production, and he drops back into the 30-35 point range.

His shooting percentage is a bit higher this year, but that appears to be propped up by the gaudy 18.5% he was shooting in October. I also wonder about his TOI if Baertschi returns. If he gets fewer opportunities either on the PP or playing with EP40 or BH53, I'd expect his offensive output to slow down.

I'd say those are the two main reasons why I think he's more likely to fall short.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
JV is starting to look like the Kreider type of player we hoped he'd become.

There's still lots of untapped potential there. He's not a guy that will drive a line by himself but he's a very interesting complimentary piece. As the team improves around him it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

If he can improve his board work and net front game he'd be an ideal player to ride shotgun with a couple of skilled top sixers.

Reactions: TruKnyte

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

There's still lots of untapped potential there. He's not a guy that will drive a line by himself but he's a very interesting complimentary piece. As the team improves around him it'll be interesting to see what he can do.

If he can improve his board work and net front game he'd be an ideal player to ride shotgun with a couple of skilled top sixers.

I don't think he'll break 50 points in the near future like Kreider did, but 30-40 isn't unreasonable and there is some similarity in play style. Good middle 6 player that can move up if needed to fill for injuries.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Poll question: 40-45

Current : 39gms, 11g, 18pts
His pace: 82gms, 23g, 38pts

He took a step to begin the season... he took another one about 8-10 games ago where his confidence and play has popped up in its consistency and effective play - especially defensively.

His second half of the season is setting up to be better again this season like it was last...

Add in the return of Sutter and Baertschi and that means a more talented lineup to play with.

I would almost like to vote 45+ right NOW... but I'll save that for next year's break through Beast Mode season.
This is the appetizer season as he pieces it all together: defense, shot selection, hit selection, passing and play making...
It's coming together nicely as I hoped/expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: alternate

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I don't think he'll break 50 points in the near future like Kreider did, but 30-40 isn't unreasonable and there is some similarity in play style. Good middle 6 player that can move up if needed to fill for injuries.

JV needs to get better at board battles and net front work to hit that next level of production, imo. Right now he's able to create a high volume of mediocre chances with his speed and hard shot but whether they turn into goals seems to depend on a lot on luck. Smart players like EP should be able to take advantage of JV's tools so hopefully Jake gets a consistent line mate upgrade when the team gets better.

I could see him working very well with Horvat or Pettersson if they have the right players on the other wing.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Virtanen will be the one driving the play up the ice on his lines.... already does.
The way Virtanen gets back on the back check and turns the play the other way seemingly every other shift - combine that with his improving passing and vision, he'll be the one creating opportunity for his linemates.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well I go to every game and I can tell you that the fans in the building would probably disagree. I don’t give a f*** about Nylander or Ehlers. Jake is a Canuck not those two

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Well I go to every game and I can tell you that the fans in the building would probably disagree. I don’t give a **** about Nylander or Ehlers. Jake is a Canuck not those two
Who still hasn't completely prove himself just yet. A lot of players can have a hot streak once in a while, i think we need to see him playing at this level in a consistent level before calling him a fan favourite. You might not care about Nylander or Ehlers, but Virtanen will always be compared to those two.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Maybe Ehlers and Nylander should be banned words by the mods. It would be an Xmas miracle

That won't happen.

In an ideal world, the discussion of relative draft position and continuing comparisons throughout their careers should be able to form an organic component of discussion around Jake Virtanen.

In an ideal world.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Virtanen will be the one driving the play up the ice on his lines.... already does.
The way Virtanen gets back on the back check and turns the play the other way seemingly every other shift - combine that with his improving passing and vision, he'll be the one creating opportunity for his linemates.

He can carry the puck but sharing the puck isn't a strength of his right now. He's improving at it though, which is great. I'd like to see him get better at retrieving pucks and creating turnovers. He could be an absolute possession monster.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Poll question: 40-45

Current : 39gms, 11g, 18pts
His pace: 82gms, 23g, 38pts

He took a step to begin the season... he took another one about 8-10 games ago where his confidence and play has popped up in its consistency and effective play - especially defensively.

His second half of the season is setting up to be better again this season like it was last...

Add in the return of Sutter and Baertschi and that means a more talented lineup to play with.

I would almost like to vote 45+ right NOW... but I'll save that for next year's break through Beast Mode season.
This is the appetizer season as he pieces it all together: defense, shot selection, hit selection, passing and play making...
It's coming together nicely as I hoped/expected.

I appreciate your hopefulness. But... his overall production in four years of pro hockey means you can't just gloss over the actual stats.

And herein lies the danger of small sample sizes. Over his last 8 games, Virtanen is on pace for 41 points. Over his last 10 games, he's on pace for 49 points. It comes down to a single game against Nashville to explain the ppg variance between the 8 and 10 game sample sizes. If he goes another 2 games with no points, his ppg in the last 12 games drops back down to 41 points.

Over his last 114 games (last + current season) he's on a 27 point pace.

Before you can convince me your optimism is justified, you need to convince me his last 10 games are the "true" Virtanen, as opposed to his other NHL games.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Would love to see him hit more and bring that physical edge to his game. More often than not he lets up right before a big hit.

He already is a fan favorite but if he can consistently pot 20 goals and bring the hitting and in your face style of play, he’ll be right up there with 53, 40 and 6

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Would love to see him hit more and bring that physical edge to his game. More often than not he lets up right before a big hit.

He already is a fan favorite but if he can consistently pot 20 goals and bring the hitting and in your face style of play, he’ll be right up there with 53, 40 and 6

I hope this never becomes true. This is not a criticism of Virtanen.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
In terms of Benning etc he was the wrong pick for the wrong reasons and I prefer Ehlers followed by Nylander, just as I did at the draft.

In terms of Virtanen I like Jake and he has improved. I said as much last year towards the end and though he may take a step forward this year. At the time of his draft I thought he had a comparable upside of David Booth and I stand by that, and there is nothing wrong with pre-injuries David Booth.

I do think he has had a few flukey goals, though. There is a lot of luck involved in such a small sample size, I think Virtanen is running hot just like I thought Gaunce was running cold last year (not even trying to compare the two at all, just trying to give an example of a player who I thought had absolutely zero puck luck).

Regardless, the thing I'm most happy with is the increase in physical play. He came into the league throwing hits and with some fights, but after he got his face smashed in New Jersey he seemed to calm down. Against Tampa I liked him engaging Martel, looked like he gave him a bit of a butt-end too. He reminds me of my best friend growing up, whom Perry always reminded me of. They both have the same face that you wanna punch and are willing to get in your face and under your skin.

He'll be a fun player if he keeps it up. Physical and can skate like shit, but unless he's a hell of a late bloomer he'll never compare to who we missed out on. It shouldn't affect how we perceive him, and I don't think it does, but it tastes bitter and a lot of Benningbros are pumping him up as if his current performance validates the pick. Both sides are engaging in that argument and as long as people defend Benning's drafting, and the Virtanen pick specifically, it will never stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vancouver_2010

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Not a fan favourite? The kid who has a literal following of just people drinking beer every time he scores a goal? Not a fan favourite?
Do you actually watch the games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad