Value of: Jake Muzzin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 147413

I keep seeing him in trade proposals by fans of teams outside L.A. Is he available? If so, what’s the cost and how has his play been this year?

1st + young roster player?
2nd + A/B+ prospect?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
It's not that he officially on the block beside in rumours.
But the fanbase feel it makes the most sense.

I guess the asking price is a 1st+ since the Kings will most likely go into rebuild mode.
What exactly the + is depends on where the 1st is coming from.

A 2nd+ will most likely mean a direct No Deal

member 147413

I guess the asking price is a 1st+ since the Kings will most likely go into rebuild mode.
Toronto
Montreal
Pittsburgh
Boston

Are a few teams who would likely show some interest I think.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
this is a guy the leafs might legit be interested in. A guy who can be legit used against top competition and can move the puck. A 1st+prospect makes sense for a guy like this who as usually been a solid #2/3 type dman.

The question for me though is - has muzzin slipped at all? lost a step?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

A 2nd+ will most likely mean a direct No Deal

I would rather take high end prospects than the picks. Especially as the teams that would be trading for him would be later first round picks.

For instance from Toronto I would much rather have Liljegren than a 1st.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
this is a guy the leafs might legit be interested in. A guy who can be legit used against top competition and can move the puck. A 1st+prospect makes sense for a guy like this who as usually been a solid #2/3 type dman.

The last month he has played amazing. Hate to lose him but he is playing really good.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Muzzin is not a cap dump, he is on a nice contract signed for next year, has played decent and is on the 2nd PP unit that looks really good.
Also the Kings have no one that can replace him if traded. They won't give him away, he won't come cheap.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Given his body of work and the fact that he's been lights out this year, I would expect the ask to be (at least) -

From a contender: 1st + a top prospect (nothing elite); or a really top-end prospect;

From a bubble team: 1st + a solid prospect

From a bottom team (not sure why they'd want him): a 1st + something marginal

As it stands right now, his value is higher than Shattenkirks was when he was traded, which is probably the closest comparable.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Muzzin has been the best defenseman in LA this season. His play hasn’t slipped at all in fact this is one of his better seasons.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm still not convinced LA is going into full rebuild mode but a Muzzin trade would certainly signal that. Since they were never able to replace Voynov, I'd be surprised if they traded Muzzin. Apparently, getting a top 4 defenseman replacement can take several years. Better to keep the ones you have unless a replacement is ready to step in.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Petan/Lemieux are waiver wire next year, more projects with low potential and Stanley isn’t exactly a notable prospect outside of being 6’7 and drafted in the 1st round. Then you’ve got a late 1st. Seems like a proposal LA is unlikely to value highly.

You aren't getting an A prospect on top of a 1st rounder for Jake Muzzin, IMO. Maybe a 2nd rounder can replace one of Stanley or Petan/Lemieux if LA values that higher. What would TOR give up for him?

member 147413

You aren't getting an A prospect on top of a 1st rounder for Jake Muzzin, IMO. Maybe a 2nd rounder can replace one of Stanley or Petan/Lemieux if LA values that higher. What would TOR give up for him?
Toronto probably wouldn’t offer anything LA fans would want.

I started this thread to gauge value and it seems like it won’t match with what Toronto is willing to pay. Leafs probably wouldn’t offer Liljegren/Sandin/Kapanen/Grundstom, so unless LA loves the idea of 1st + Oz/Brown + Bracco, there really isn’t much of an offer to realistically land Muzzin.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I would rather take high end prospects than the picks. Especially as the teams that would be trading for him would be later first round picks.

For instance from Toronto I would much rather have Liljegren than a 1st.

Toronto drafted 29th OA last year and managed to snag Sandin who is already looking like he has a higher ceiling than many drafted above him. If you trust your scouting staff picks are still the best.

Reactions: NHL WAR

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Toronto drafted 29th OA last year and managed to snag Sandin who is already looking like he has a higher ceiling than many drafted above him. If you trust your scouting staff picks are still the best.

True but he is still likely another 2 years away and there is no guarantee the pick would work out. I get no guarantee with a prospect either but the risk should be less.

In an ideal world LA gets the best of both, a 1st and a good prospect.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Man I am torn on trading Muzzin. On the one hand, we are not competing for the next few years and Muzzin would give us the great return in assets. On the other hand, if we are to compete in 2-3 years, we really need Muzzin. Our defense is garbage without at least having Muzzin and Doughty laying the foundation. With that said, it would require an over payment in my opinion for the Kings to trade Muzzin.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
picks take 3 years at least to be ready and la wants to retool faster then then that

No team in the league is going to offer young impact players for the names being available. Muzzin is great but let's come back to reality. He is around 30 isn't he? No team is going to give you a young player who will be an impact top 6 forward or top 4 D for a guy who is 30. The BEST case scenario is you get a guy like Kapanen as the absolute ceiling.

That's why I said to take the picks. You won't get whatever value you are hoping for (look at the Karlsson and McDoughnah deals and both are way better) looking at players so picks allow you the most potential value.

Or hang onto him like Vancouver did to Tanev and watch his value drop more and more each season as he declines with age. Right now you have a top pairing guy playing well on a bad team and can get max value at the deadline. He has a year left after this and can hold a lot of value.

Next year he is turning 31 and is a pure rental and you will get half of that assuming he doesn't decline.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
No team in the league is going to offer young impact players for the names being available. Muzzin is great but let's come back to reality. He is around 30 isn't he? No team is going to give you a young player who will be an impact top 6 forward or top 4 D for a guy who is 30. The BEST case scenario is you get a guy like Kapanen as the absolute ceiling.

That's why I said to take the picks. You won't get whatever value you are hoping for (look at the Karlsson and McDoughnah deals and both are way better) looking at players so picks allow you the most potential value.

Or hang onto him like Vancouver did to Tanev and watch his value drop more and more each season as he declines with age. Right now you have a top pairing guy playing well on a bad team and can get max value at the deadline. He has a year left after this and can hold a lot of value.

Next year he is turning 31 and is a pure rental and you will get half of that assuming he doesn't decline.
then dont trade for him easy as that. Muzzin is a top pairing defense man Your not getting one for nothing Your picks are late Muzzin is in his prime to settle for less . Your team would have him for 2 playoff runs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
then dont trade for him easy as that. Muzzin is a top pairing defense man Your not getting one for nothing Your picks are late Muzzin is in his prime to settle for less . Your team would have him for 2 playoff runs.

Muzzin is not a top pairing defenseman unless your defense is not good. He is a pretty solid 2nd pairing guy. Playing well this year but prone to some serious gaffes on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad