Value of: Jaccob Slavin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean League wide you would think Marner has more value in a vacuum. Guys like Slavin aren’t likely to return equal value because he isn’t an offensive dynamo.

He’s a premier shutdown d-man in his prime signed to a sweetheart deal for two more years…. So if we are trading him then we’d want something that checks those boxes but in a different positional need.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As a player it's Marner but closer than you probably think due to position premium.

As a contact Slavin is more valuable to the point that there's nothing the Leafs have that they could add while still making it worth the Canes time while still being compliant under the cap.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Same term. Marner brings elite production. Slavin plays a premium position and is significantly cheaper on the cap.

Fans would certainly go in on the Leafs for trading a 100 point player for a 30-40 point defenseman. However, the league might value Slavin's perhaps best of his generation defensive talent. Making DeAngelo look like a competent top pairing defenseman says it all about how uniquely impactful he is on the other side of the puck.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not saying he is. Just gauging his value.

Which player in the league would be worth in a 1 for 1 trade for him.

I used Marner as an example. Would that be worth it value wise? Or do the Canes or Leafs add?
The only players he’d be worth are other players that would never be available. It’s a pointless thread. He’s as untouchable as McDavid (not saying he’s anywhere near as good as McDavid, no one is, but he’s a franchise elite number 1 D for the Canes and not getting moved, there is no value that would change that).

Marner980

Jun 21, 2019
Thank you. That’s all I was looking for.

Also I would add players like Hughes, Rantanen, Thompson as equal value as well.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I remember similar rhetoric around Vlasic.

Completely different style of players but when MEV was making $4.25 he WAS an elite shutdown guy and his value was insanely high. Then he got signed the new deal and turned into a pumpkin. It was a bad contract from the beginning since his skill set wasn’t likely to age that well.

Slavin is a great skating, mobile/positional D in the mold of Lidstrom (obviously not near that level) but his style of play should age fairly well. He’s 28 and I don’t think it would shock anyone to continue to play great into his mid 30s. Of course he could turn into a pumpkin too but he’s lower risk for sure

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I guess I do overrate our players because trading 25 year old Marner for 28 year old Slavin feels kind of bad even with the $$ difference.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I'd trade my left nut for Slavin.

Both for the player he is on the ice and the person he is off the ice.
Your left nut has good character.

Entire Leafs organization should be fired if they traded Marner for Slavin.
You are not wrong, but…

…Entire Canes Borg should be thrown out of the airlock if they traded Slavin for Marner.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I guess I do overrate our players because trading 25 year old Marner for 28 year old Slavin feels kind of bad even with the $$ difference. Position is less relevant considering how effective Marner is as a 200ft player.
I don't really think it matters.

Neither team could really afford to move out the player in question anyways without crippling ramifications up and down their respective lineups.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
jimmy-mcmillan-too-damn-high.gif

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The cap hit obviously plays a big role here, but if you take that away, I can't see most teams trading Marner 1-1 for Slavin. The offense Marner brings with his defense is just too good. With that said, if you had a franchise player you were building around that was equally as good, or worth more to your team, I can then see a scenario where you go all in on a defensive beast like Slavin. But this is a scoring high league and Marner brings that.

On the other side, Carolina is a top 15 team in scoring and top 2 in goals against. So, I'm not sure it benefits them moving into the top 10 in scoring and out of the top 5 in goals against. I think if they can improve their powerplay slightly without trading away a rock like Slavin that would benefit them more.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I’m sure there’s plenty of avid fans here but more than a few probably haven’t seen Slavin play much. He’s a stud and doesn’t get the recognition he should. I’d take him all day over Marner and that’s not a slight on Marner.

And another thing: Let me know the next time Marner wins a playoff series. (That one is a slight.)

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'll answer this a different way.

As a fan of a different team, and if I had the opportunity to acquire Marner or Slavin for the exact same acquisition cost, Id pick Marner.

That said, organizational context matters. My team has lots of cap space but needs elite offensive punch more than anything. I'd bet Edmonton would probably pick Slavin due to the contract and organizational needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad