IX. General Stars Talk Always Lands on its Feet

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
What's weird is that Benn always wears a Black Yankees hat. Even on his interviews while they were clearing out lockers, he was wearing one.

And he's like really good friends with Derek Holland haha

You can see lots Yankees hats here in Sweden and no one cares about baseball here. Their caps are fashionabel.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Believe when Benn and Seguin threw out the first pitch at a Rangers game, Benn threw with his left, Seguin with his right..So the Canadian 'use your dominant hand on the top of the stick thing' holds up with those guys.

picard_facepalm.jpg

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Personally I never bought into the dominant hand on top thing but then again I'm an American and probably doing it wrong.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Personally I never bought into the dominant hand on top thing but then again I'm an American and probably doing it wrong.

I don't worry about it because I play goalie :D

Though the few times I picked up a player stick I did prefer a leftie (I'm right-handed).

Makes sense to me because I can manipulate the blade with my right hand better on top of the stick.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I'm no hitting coach but Benn looks pretty good swinging a bat. I wonder which came first, Benn playing (and by all accounts excelling at) baseball or his great hand/eye coordination.

yeah. that is a nice-looking swing. the other guys not so much. reminds me of how premium athleticism in one sport doesn't translate to other sports all the time. swinging a baseball bat shouldn't be all that different from a slap shot. years back, i watched a kings development camp in which they were doing soccer-like land drills... it was like watching a junior high phys ed class.

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

First pitches for baseball games are truly hard to watch for some athletes.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Noticed this in a story about Vigneault and ice time in a story from the Hockey News.

Recall the hullabaloo in Van City over Tortorella’s increased ice time for Daniel and Henrik Sedin. Vigneault always kept them below 20:00 per game, because he wanted them fresh and focused on offense. Under Vigneault the Sedins were among the best players in the NHL. Under Tortorella they had their worst seasons in more than a decade.

In New York, Vigneault has taken that same strategy and worked it to near perfection so far. The Rangers are Mariana Trench deep, and Vigneault has used every foot of the team’s depth that GM Glen Sather put together.

Throughout 2013-14, regular season and playoffs, not one forward has averaged 20 minutes or more. Only Ryan McDonagh, Dan Girardi and Marc Staal, all defensemen, have averaged more than 20 minutes per game. That’s why the Rangers were able to get through back-to-back seven-game series and yet still be fresh against the Canadiens Saturday.

This is something we've talked about Ruff has done his entire career. A pointed out a week or so ago, only one forward since 2008 in Buffalo averaged 20 minutes under rough, and that was a partial season in which Ruff was fired and didn't finish the season.

MetalGodAOD*

Helps to have the horses to be able to do they as well. Dallas 4th line was just ok last season. It'll only get better with reinforcements from CP.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Helps to have the horses to be able to do they as well. Dallas 4th line was just ok last season. It'll only get better with reinforcements from CP.

That hurt mostly in the playoffs. They just couldn't survive losing Peverley, and then Cole never coming back from that injury at 100%.

They're close though. Maybe next year, maybe not ... almost for sure the year after that, they'll have plenty of reinforcements in the AHL that could step in immediately and perform at a high level.

It's taking some time, but the drafting is starting to pay off in great depth.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Well ... I guess to be fair it was already paying off before the Seguin trade ... a necessary move they had to make. Not saying anything bad about that.

They did though cut into their young depth subtracting Smith and Fraser. Ritchie and McKenzie weren't 100% ready this year, but you'd at least expect they could be above average injury replacements next year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
France beat Denmark 6-2 today securing a spot in the Quarterfinal ... first time since 1995.

Roussel picked up a goal and 3 assists. Through 6 games, he has 5 goals and 5 assists, and he's 2nd overall in tournament scoring.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
France beat Denmark 6-2 today securing a spot in the Quarterfinal ... first time since 1995.

Roussel picked up a goal and 3 assists. Through 6 games, he has 5 goals and 5 assists, and he's 2nd overall in tournament scoring.

Roussel has been a monster in the tourney. Really hope nill gets him signed soon.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I like the away jersey better as well. The one thing that bothers me about the home jersey, which I do really like, don't get me wrong, is just due to the Reebok template I hate. Having the diaper flaps or whatever people like to call them creates too much white under the bottom stripe. If they ever change back to normal straight-bottom jerseys it will look better.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
No GM OTY award for J-Nilla. Disappointed he didn't even get a finalist spot

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
obviously a flawed award, I mean the great and powerful lord Chiarelli, whom possesses beyond humane knowledge of all things hockey, has yet to obtain this paltry bronze decoration

jhr1986

Jul 2, 2012
DFWish
Cool story on the jersey ranking. I really like the new threads (home especially), and looking at the 3 ranked higher I have no argument. Seeing all those jerseys on the same page reminds me of when Gaglardi said something to the effect of "We want the new jerseys to have a classic look with a contemporary slant." Nailed it.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
To go back OT a bit, I'm an American who writes right handed and shoots left for hockey. I bat right handed for baseball, and I drive and use my irons right handed for golf, and putt and chip left handed. I'm a freak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad