Isles Prospect Talk 2020-21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Chap-

So understood on comparing style of play of Ish to Kaprizov, but when you say he needs "considerable physical growth" are you suggesting that he needs to pack on weight/muscle through diet, gym, just aging...

...Or that he needs to grow in height and without hopefully a late growth spurt that he won't make it in the NHL?

These are the factors that will be key.

His "man strength" will come over time, one way or the other.

But even if he were to still be in the midst of growing, I don't see him getting past 5'9"ish, so he's going to need to have considerable core strength and powerful legs to make an impact.

He's not quite as short as Rocco Grimaldi, but that's pretty much THE player whose build he's going to want to simulate if the NHL is to be his destination. And like with Grimaldi, it's going to take time and patience.

Reactions: periferal

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He will be taught what to do and he will do it or he won’t. Lou thinks he is capable and that is why he picked him and that is why he is where he is.

I look at Brock Nelson going from 35-40 point guy to a 50+ point guy.
I see one of the worst defensive teams in the league go to one of the best.
I see a team missing the playoffs going to the semifinals two seasons after losing their best player.

Time will tell on our 2019 first rounder.
I don't know whether to read that last line as negative or super negative.
Keep in mind, Wilde and Holmstrom are 21 and 19. These were only observations at this point in time. They are going to need seasoning. They have every right to improve. That is the hope, and it should be expected. I did think Isles fans would be interested in how they played today. It doesn't mean they will continue to play this way. But it does look they are still a ways to go. With young players, they can have a hockey stick up curve in progress. I certainly have not closed the book on this by any means.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Keep in mind, Wilde and Holmstrom are 21 and 19. These were only observations at this point in time. They are going to need seasoning. They have every right to improve. That is the hope, and it should be expected. I did think Isles fans would be interested in how they played today. It doesn't mean they will continue to play this way. But it does look they are still a ways to go. With young players, they can have a hockey stick up curve in progress. I certainly have not closed the book on this by any means.
I think that holmstrom is gonna be a nice player moving forward, but I have very good hopes for these prospects
>salo
>dufour
>jeffries
>rajaniemi
>bolduc
These will be our big names down the road once they keep maturing and developing

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think that holmstrom is gonna be a nice player moving forward, but I have very good hopes for these prospects
>salo
>dufour
>jeffries
>rajaniemi
>bolduc
These will be our big names down the road once they keep maturing and developing
It's going to be interesting to see how Holmstrom fits in, he is only 19, sometimes we/I forget how young he is. The scouts like something about him. The 2 that went after him may be good players. Patience, hard at times.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
It's going to be interesting to see how Holmstrom fits in, he is only 19, sometimes we/I forget how young he is. The scouts like something about him. The 2 that went after him may be good players. Patience, hard at times.
Holmstrom could be a perfect wingerman for barzal also, or he could be perfect 2nd line material to replace bailey down the road

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I honestly just hope Holmstrom makes the NHL. I have been concerned about that pick for a while. His injury history + his play style makes him a boom bust imo, and we could have drafted a much safer player instead. heres to hoping he develops into a smart two way winger

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
I honestly just hope Holmstrom makes the NHL. I have been concerned about that pick for a while. His injury history + his play style makes him a boom bust imo, and we could have drafted a much safer player instead. heres to hoping he develops into a smart two way winger
And i entrust our teams draft history with lou.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
Holmstrom could be a perfect wingerman for barzal also, or he could be perfect 2nd line material to replace bailey down the road
Seeing as he’s a playmaker that plays high in the zone kinda like Bailey but with better speed who’s not afraid to shoot.I see him as fitting that 2nd line Rw spot perfectly. I read some scouting reports that compare his style to Alex Tanguay.

I’m hoping he develops the same way another player who was injured during his draft year and who dropped to us did- Matt Barzal.

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Seeing as he’s a playmaker that plays high in the zone kinda like Bailey but with better speed who’s not afraid to shoot.I see him as fitting that 2nd line Rw spot perfectly. I read some scouting reports that compare his style to Alex Tanguay.

I’m hoping he develops the same way another player who was injured during his draft year and who dropped to us did- Matt Barzal.
holmstrom also was a reach, so i think it helps if he stays in Bridgeport and develops there even if thompson sucks bollocks

Reactions: BarzyClub

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
And i entrust our teams draft history with lou.

Can you detail why? Not saying your wrong, but I don't see enough evidence to just put on a blindfold of trust to Lou's drafting ability. There isn't a player drafted under his watch that is 21 yet so feels like the jury is still out and also...

At his first draft he had just arrived and admitted he was going to let the scouts (who he didn't hire) run the draft. They went on to take 2 guys who feel into our laps in Wahlstrom and Dobson.

Next year Lou/the scouts go out and reach on Holmstrom. Still early, but not exactly lighting it up.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Can you detail why? Not saying your wrong, but I don't see enough evidence to just put on a blindfold of trust to Lou's drafting ability. There isn't a player drafted under his watch that is 21 yet so feels like the jury is still out and also...

At his first draft he had just arrived and admitted he was going to let the scouts (who he didn't hire) run the draft. They went on to take 2 guys who feel into our laps in Wahlstrom and Dobson.

Next year Lou/the scouts go out and reach on Holmstrom. Still early, but not exactly lighting it up.
His drafts throughout his career have been mediocre for the most part. Some hits some misses. Lou has brought stability and accountability to every organization he has been in. The best move Lou made with islanders was hiring Barry Trots.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The jury is still out on the 2019 draft class. Holmstrom is still a 19 year old playing his D+2 season in the AHL, let alone being in the AHL last year too as an 18 year old in his D+1. The clock hasn't started on him yet. Bolduc in the 2nd round has exceeded all expectations so far though. The 2019 draft class was not stellar anyway and we weren't picking high so hard to condemn Lou about that now.

As for 2018, Lou still deserves some credit as he was the boss who presided over it.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I don't think Lou has much input on the draft, except in very high picks. The Dobson/Wally draft was all on the scouts as Lou only took over in the off season with all the scouting done. The same picks would've been made with Snow as GM.

The Holmstrom pick is a total hit or miss pick. Either he will go one to have a fine NHL career or he'll be back in Sweden in two or three years time. The Bolduc, Wilde and Salo picks seem safer and we may well have another Travis Hamonic among them.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The jury is still out on the 2019 draft class. Holmstrom is still a 19 year old playing his D+2 season in the AHL, let alone being in the AHL last year too as an 18 year old in his D+1. The clock hasn't started on him yet. Bolduc in the 2nd round has exceeded all expectations so far though. The 2019 draft class was not stellar anyway and we weren't picking high so hard to condemn Lou about that now.

As for 2018, Lou still deserves some credit as he was the boss who presided over it.
Samuel Bolduc's pro career consists of 7 AHL games. The clock really hasn't started on him either.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
fair enough, but wasn't our first Lou draft (the wahlstrom dobson one) kind of a holdover from the Snow era?

Regardless, when Wahlstrom and Dobson dropped about 90% of us here would have run to the podium to make those picks too. We pretty much all agreed that at least one of them or both were going to be gone and if memory serves a lot of us were thinking Farrabee as one pick and the other was wide open to debate. Farrabee was thought of as Parise 2.0 here.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021

Personally I believe that lou knows best. again, even if his history is iffy, I think this development team and scouting knows best at least. Look at our 2020 draft class and how some are producing: there is signs that he can still be a good GM. I'm keeping my eyes on Rajaniemi and Dufour because those two have been productive as of late for their teams in junior and in finland.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Personally I believe that lou knows best. again, even if his history is iffy, I think this development team and scouting knows best at least. Look at our 2020 draft class and how some are producing: there is signs that he can still be a good GM. I'm keeping my eyes on Rajaniemi and Dufour because those two have been productive as of late for their teams in junior and in finland.
not sure sure what you mean by saying that LL's history is iffy?? i can accept that he isn't and wasn't perfect, but did he do something awful? and "can still be a good GM?" you do know that he was GM of the year last year, right? elaborate please...

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
not sure sure what you mean by saying that LL's history is iffy?? i can accept that he isn't and wasn't perfect, but did he do something awful? elaborate please...
the hit/misses in his drafts is what i mean. lou isn't awful by any means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad