Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 3 - Well That Sucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
How they defend requires being a great shot blocking team. They are not. They also leave guys uncontested in front, 2 if you count Eberle who snuck in back door.

They got beat 4 on 3 uptop since that's how they played it in that stupid diamond. 2-2 box...just as it's used on them should be deployed. The diamond had Tanev out of position for the point shot and Eberle all alone down low.

Terrible. This is where having tree like D-men come in handy. The Islanders had the "Marianas Trench" to work with.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hope this loss doesn’t discourage them. That was the first legit sign of life on a team level all season.

I have zero faith this is a contending team because I don’t think it’s built correctly, but they can still be competitive if they build on what they did tonight.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're bottom third in high-danger scoring chances against and one of the three worst teams in the league in high danger goals allowed.

The analytics back exactly what I'm saying - the Penguins' defense has been bad, which has made shaky goaltending worse. If the Penguins' defense was better and limited those high-danger scoring chances, it'd give the goaltenders a chance to find a groove.

Wow, it's almost like that's because their goaltending has been horrid.

Their 12th in all situations xGA/60. They're a mediocre defensive team with horrific goaltending.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I hope this loss doesn’t discourage them. That was the first legit sign of life on a team level all season.

I have zero faith this is a contending team because I don’t think it’s built correctly, but they can still be competitive if they build on what they did tonight.

They played extremely well last game until the 3rd period meltdown in play.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The Pens played disciplined hockey tonight. Every opportunity went in. You guys act like PIT is going to go out there and put on a NJ Devils circa 2001 committed game.

If they did, guys wouldn’t have been standing all alone to tap in 3 goals... so definitely disagree.

Pens can trade for a new goalie and everyone on here will be hating on that brother within a couple weeks.

100% sure of that.

Just like if you throw Jarry or even DeSmith on the Bruins, their numbers would be dramatically different.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's where the Penguins rank in terms of per 60 defensive stats in all situations:

CA/60: 1st
FA/60: 2nd
SA/60: 5th
xGA/60: 12th
SCA/60: 4th
HDCA/60: 20th

Save%: 31st
HD Save%: 31st
GA/60: 28th
HDGA/60: 30th

If those stats tell you "the defense is the main problem here", I really don't know what to tell you. Like I said, analytically the Penguins are a mediocre defensive team with shit goaltending. You can believe or disbelieve those numbers if you want, but that's what the analytics say. The analytics say that goaltending is a WAY bigger issue than team defense is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they did, guys wouldn’t have been standing all alone to tap in 3 goals... so definitely disagree.

Pens can trade for a new goalie and everyone on here will be hating on that brother within a couple weeks.

100% sure of that.

Just like if you throw Jarry or even DeSmith on the Bruins, their numbers would be dramatically different.

I mean, I don’t expect much from Jarry, but acting like that Cal Clutterbuck opportunity was some glorious chance is a joke to me.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Here's where the Penguins rank in terms of per 60 defensive stats in all situations:

If those stats tell you "the defense is the main problem here", I really don't know what to tell you. Like I said, analytically the Penguins are a mediocre defensive team with shit goaltending. You can believe or disbelieve those numbers if you want, but that's what the analytics say. The analytics say that goaltending is a WAY bigger issue than team defense is.
tenor.gif

Great post. But people will still defend Jarry regardless. Our goalies turn people crazy, it’s so odd. How can people watch Jarry this year and not see he’s played awful?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I also want to say they are mostly chasing games/teams and cannot get a rhythm on being a good defensive team. All teams have to do most times is get a lead. The Pens leak goals as soon after they score one breaking things down once again. Maybe try and lose a game 1-0 and build off a great defensive effort? Obviously doing what they are doing isn't working. Trap. Take what they give you.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean, I don’t expect much from Jarry, but acting like that Cal Clutterbuck opportunity was some glorious chance is a joke to me.

A guy one timing a shot all alone in front isn’t a glorious chance?

As opposed to an empty net on a breakaway or what?

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Once again most of you should not rely on your memory for the 4 goals:

Ceci getting beat by a 4 feet wide. I felt like Jarry should have had this one... kinda of a bad angle but Eberle did backhand a top shelf.
upload_2021-2-6_21-17-54.png

3 vs 5. 2 Defensemen were changing and will still didn't cover Islander on Doorstep. Sid, Kap, and the rest of the team completely wrong. Next frame is goal. See the Islander camping? 3 v 5. Isles defense is not on screen they are now at BLUE LINE....
upload_2021-2-6_21-19-29.png

Matheson was not as close and TV angles shows. I can make this shot... it's 3 isles vs 5 penguins....
upload_2021-2-6_21-21-58.png

Yeah, Letang. POJ was correct read. Puck side defender pursues. Offside takes net. As Twitter guys said and my previous post- Letang looked at ISLE twice and still left crease...
upload_2021-2-6_21-23-31.png

Why even bother to PK. This is the laziest coverage I've ever seen...
upload_2021-2-6_21-25-31.png

Last edited:

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
A guy one timing a shot all alone in front isn’t a glorious chance?

As opposed to an empty net on a breakaway or what?

Yeah, pretty much any NHL player would love to get a free uncontested shot at 2-3 feet out. That was pure Letang. Puck side Defender takes the puck... that was POJ.

Letang looked at the oncoming player and still chased a puck when he should have stayed home duplicating coverage and leaving a guy wide open.

Reactions: bigkam

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If the goalie thing was such a problem this offseason and our current guys are sub-replacement level, maybe we should've moved Hornqvist for a veteran there and not blown our wad on Matheson.

Maybe there are random vets out there we can get. Guys off the street.

I don't trust any stats that say the Penguins defense isn't awful at this point. Maybe someone can show me a breakdown of xGA from this game (or any game this year, really) chance by chance and where the xGA was .05 and they scored or .1 and they scored.

I'll be curious to see what that Clutterbuck chance was. Seemed to be a chance that if the shooter places the puck well it's an automatic goal. And he roofed it so...well done by him.

Varlamov outplayed Jarry this game, no doubt. But anyone who could watch that PK at the end and tell me the Isles wouldn't score with 95% of the league in net is lying. That was painful to watch.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I get the love Letang gets but the biggest issue has been the revolving door of d men in and out of this organization the last 5 years. Some of the guys signed to deals got zero commitment and then some new shiny object arrives and plays a great half season and then out the door. You want to know what is wrong with this team consider this. Chad Ruhwedal is the most tenured d man other than Letang. Now once again I see that Marino is getting some flak and the new shiny object ( Averagtheson ) is under your scrutiny. This constant fiddling of the d makes me want to remind you of Oleksiak. Now I know some are injured but the results haven't been what they were since those two cups. Ok I had my rant.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
If the goalie thing was such a problem this offseason and our current guys are sub-replacement level, maybe we should've moved Hornqvist for a veteran there and not blown our wad on Matheson.

Maybe there are random vets out there we can get. Guys off the street.

I don't trust any stats that say the Penguins defense isn't awful at this point. Maybe someone can show me a breakdown of xGA from this game (or any game this year, really) chance by chance and where the xGA was .05 and they scored or .1 and they scored.

I'll be curious to see what that Clutterbuck chance was. Seemed to be a chance that if the shooter places the puck well it's an automatic goal. And he roofed it so...well done by him.

Varlamov outplayed Jarry this game, no doubt. But anyone who could watch that PK at the end and tell me the Isles wouldn't score with 95% of the league in net is lying. That was painful to watch.

I took shots of all goals above. People are just making shit up. Half of us would make that shot. 3 feet from goal. No Pens.

Reactions: bigkam

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, pretty much any NHL player would love to get a free uncontested shot at 2-3 feet out. That was pure Letang. Puck side Defender takes the puck... that was POJ.

Letang stays home, chance never happens, Pens likely win... no one is talking about Jarry.

Saying they played disciplined hockey and allowed three goal mouth tap ins is odd to me... but considering how poor their structure has been, I guess many around here have dramatically lowered their standards for disciplined hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyOcean

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

And that's why Analytics are never used as a be-all. Because defensively they look like shit. The goalie is the last line of defense. It would be telling if it were one goalie, but we're working on two and a 3rd they let go with changes to the defense, added injuries to throw salt on the wounds. Forwards not doing their part.

Smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: BillyOcean

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Is he not capable of burying a chance?

You're saying it's Clutterbuck so better chance that he flubs it. But he didn't.

I don’t know. I get that the Pens are given up chances, but every team does. Letang and POJ did poorly on that chance. But, it is the fact Jarry is getting caved in every game.

We see two defensemen get caught behind the net all the time. Goalies make saves sometimes. Jarry isn’t making any.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s Cal Clutterbuck tho.

He’s an NHL player two feet from the goalie.

If he got chances like that every night he’d be a rocket finalist.

I don’t know. I get that the Pens are given up chances, but every team does. Letang and POJ did poorly on that chance. But, it is the fact Jarry is getting caved in every game.

We see two defensemen get caught behind the net all the time. Goalies make saves sometimes. Jarry isn’t making any.

I’d like to see him stand on his head and make dramatic saves every game also, but there are only a couple goalies in this league right now who could maybe pull that off, and both are making 7.5 and 10m.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I took shots of all goals above. People are just making shit up. Half of us would make that shot. 3 feet from goal. No Pens.

I guess you could argue it was a weak rebound.

You could also make the argument that Jarry should have had the 1st goal although IMO that was just a sweet backhand roof by Eberle.

I don't think Empo is lying about the xGA stats being upper-middle of pack. It just doesn't match what I've seen from the eye test at all. Perhaps because offense has been such an epic struggle for the Pens all year the opponents chances seem all that much sweeter and that's coloring my eye test.

Beyond the team being broken, I also find it hard to believe that a team that has had as many defensive injuries as we have and our top 2 centers being shambolic defensively for the majority of this year...doesn't suck defensively.

I'm disappointed in Jarry but I just think the team defense (and PK) is completely broken, and criticizing Jarry's play is like complaining about the furniture in a house when the foundation is crumbling. Once we stop sucking defensively I'm happy to join the Hate Parade on Jarry.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Letang stays home, chance never happens, Pens likely win... no one is talking about Jarry.

Saying they played disciplined hockey and allowed three goal mouth tap in is odd to me... but considering how poor their structure has been, I guess many around here have dramatically lowered their standards for disciplined hockey.

Agree. It's symbiotic...

-Jarry does need to play better. Desmith is playing just as bad (that's a fact) but...
-Defense has been on par with Jarry... sure we were better today but that's because we've been really really really bad for a few games.
-Look at those Forwards lounging on Defense. That 3 Isles vs 5 Penguins is just f***ing BAD.... Sid positioning is WTF.
-Our coaches need to get better also... Fleury, Gibson or whomever would not be a .930 behind this D. No f***ing way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad