Is Tyler toffoli worth drafting in the top 15?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sensnation55

Nov 21, 2009
Is Tyler toffoli worth drafting in the top 15?

00toffolisogLK6W9661.jpg

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think he might be worth a top 20 pick. A GM might do it if they fall in love with his potential of becoming a sniper at the NHL level. He plays a lot like Dany Heatley but has a better wrister but not as strong slapper. Great offensive instincts and just knows where to go in the scoring areas.

Needs to work on his skating...

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
If he were a better skater yes. But he isn't as polished as most of the other skaters. His scoring instincts are amazing, he just takes some time to get to the scoring area's.

I see him going between 20 and 30 personally with steal written all over him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think he might be worth a top 20 pick. A GM might do it if they fall in love with his potential of becoming a sniper at the NHL level. He plays a lot like Dany Heatley but has a better wrister but not as strong slapper. Great offensive instincts and just knows where to go in the scoring areas.

Needs to work on his skating...

Any thoughts on his upside? 30 goals?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He defensively has 30 goal potential. His scoring instincts are probably top 3 in the draft. Once again the only thing holding him back is his skating. If he can fix that watch out.

Thanks, might be worth a shot with the Pens pick.

PotaGuitar

Nov 16, 2008
Sharks are going to move up to take him mark my words.

Chances are if you have ever played hockey for the Ottawa 67's, Doug Wilson will draft you.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
He's ranked pretty low on some lists, I potentially see him as this yr's Eberle. His quickness & skating speed need to improve. But not top 15. How could you pass on a Watson, Kuznetsov or even a Howden (physically, they are NHL-projected)? I say he will be taken in the 25-30 range.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yes, he's got all the tools to be a big scorer in the NHL, just needs to improve his skating. They said the same things about Eberle in his draft year, and look how that turned out. If he improves his skating, what's holding him back from becoming a big scorer in the NHL? He's got an amazing shot, sick hands and a great ability to read plays, and knows how to score.

He was rated in the top 10 at the start of the year, started off slow, fell out of the 1st round on some lists, regained composure and started scoring well above a PPG. He's a draft sleeper for sure.

tarlinian

Dec 4, 2008
Pasadena, CA
This is the guy I would prefer. The Sharks need top 6 forward prospects with size to them. Is Dalton Smith eligible to be drafted this year? Just wondering since he is also a 67 that plays a game DW loves.
I'd rather have Toffoli, the Sharks need wingers way more than they need centers. Their best top 6 wing prospect is Ferriero (who's originally a center). They have Wingels at center in the NCAA, and Viedensky in the AHL next year and already have craploads of center depth on the NHL roster with Thronton, Pavelski, Couture, Malhotra (assuming he's resigned), etc. Martindale is IMO not polished enough to take with a 1st either. He's more of a 2nd round guy, but the Sharks don't have a 2nd. I'd definitely be all right with trading up 10 or so spots to take Toffoli with a 1st. I actually think the Pens pick would be wort trading for. The Pens might take something like Murray+Ferriero for their 1st+4th if they need a physical shutdown guy and a decent wing prospect (better than anyone other than Tangradi on their team, could make the NHL next year, was decent in an NHL stint this year, but hit the NCAA wall).

The Sharks are also fond of taking poor skating prospects and fixing that up enough to make them good NHLers, see Couture, Pavelski, Murray, etc.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
This is the guy I would prefer. The Sharks need top 6 forward prospects with size to them. Is Dalton Smith eligible to be drafted this year? Just wondering since he is also a 67 that plays a game DW loves.

Martindale may be 6'3 but he plays like he like 5'9 on most nights. He is VERY skilled but he doesn't like to get his nose dirty very often and he skates with his head down through open ice alot which is just an accident waiting to happen.

Don't get me wrong, he has amazing skill. He probably has top 20 skill but he lacks on the intangibles. I think we will see Martindale go between 31 and 40.

And yes Dalton Smith is eligible this year. He is a bad skated but he is like a bull in a china shop. Kinda Kassain lite. Again like Toffoli his major weakness is skating. Smith has very good hands and if he can improve his skating i could see him as a legit 2nd line NHL power forward. I would take him in the 3rd round if I was a GM, his upside is huge.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I would say no, I mean if the team loves the kid then fine.... However If my team had a top 15 pick I would not want him picked... I wouldn't mind to much in the 20-30 range depending who is available and needs

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN

Smith is pegged to be around a 3rd-4th rounder this season.

Edit: Forgot you traded your second, to Carolina of all places.

Double Edit: Forgot you still have your 3rd. I need to bookmark prosporttransaction.com. I can see DW drafting Smith in the 3rd if he's still around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad