Is this team running out of gas?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
As mentioned,staying healthy, and fixing the PP...........they are in the playoffs, so it seems they have taken their foot off the gas so to speak...April 15th is when the show starts...

I actually hope that Desharnais has a season ending injury. Nothing that ruins his future I'm not that cold.

But I want to see the young guys: DLR and Chuck have no choice but to step up in those positions.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What were his numbers before last night's debacle tanked them, though? Probably right around 40-ish, I'm guessing? (Didn't he hit .917 briefly? That would be above league-average) That's a problem with small sample sizes. It only takes one bad game to ruin a backup's numbers.

He had good stats before last game because of the beginning of the season (first 5 games started). In his last 10 games previous to last game his numbers were not good. And they are even worse with last night game.

A season is 82 games. Not 70. Overall when considering all the starts Tok had (first 5 where he was hot and last night) his stats are okay but certainly not good. 910 ain't bad for a backup but it ain't great either and it's certainly not enough to say we **** without Price like some are saying. In his last 11 games Tok gave 3+ goals 9 times. It means 9 of those 11 games we needed to score at least 4 goals to win. No team can do that 9 times out of 11.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I actually hope that Desharnais has a season ending injury. Nothing that ruins his future I'm not that cold.

But I want to see the young guys: DLR and Chuck have no choice but to step up in those positions.

I would be very curious to see how the team play without him. But the way he plays he wont be injured anytime soon.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
You don't get to defend the job Therrein does constantly by creating a narrative that fits your agenda and then pretend it doesn't exist when it goes the other way with the opposition.

A whole lot of excuse making and praising of "effort" in losing results here.

You should take your own advice. You dismiss the team's record on the basis that we don't play well enough, then when we do, you criticize the outcome.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I would be very curious to see how the team play without him. But the way he plays he wont be injured anytime soon.
i watched him closely last night, at the game...

he keeps away from traffic....even the season ticket holders i sit by, great people,,but asked me "how big is that guy"

i said well "he is the mascot of the team, and our #1 centre. sigh

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...agree that Team Health and fixing the PP is priority right now...that said, the PP fix ties in with the total system fix that we're long overdue for...passive chip-and-chase and passive "clog the interior lanes but give up the neutral zone & the blueline" defense isn't going to get us far in the playoffs...nor is having 2/3rds of our 1st line filled with small, soft middle-sixers...we're not out of gas, we're in need of repairs...

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
PP is the problem we need some goals....we need fresh blood on the PP.....
Patches Pleks Gally
Subban Beaulieu

Eller Chuckie DLR
Markov Petry

2nd wave has to be a different style...Eller and DLR in front of net and get shots from the point.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I don't see why this team would be out of gaz. This team has been playing a very conservative game for a while now.

It's not rare to see teams sure to make playoffs struggling at the end of a season. The wings are getting destroyed lately too. As for TB this is a young team and they should be removing their feet from the gaz pedal. It might cost them in the playoffs.

Its conservative offensively but taxing defensively.

Continually chasing the play, blocking a tonne of shots and being hit all the time will take its toll.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
i watched him closely last night, at the game...

he keeps away from traffic....even the season ticket holders i sit by, great people,,but asked me "how big is that guy"

i said well "he is the mascot of the team, and our #1 centre. sigh

DD trying to pass as 5'7 is as ridiculous as playing him as a 1st line center. Atleast be honest like Gerbe.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
The coach may not have been able to read back then but he was a capable coach. Not sure we can say the same about our friendly ol coach

DD at center in the playoffs does not work but let's keep trying
chemistry? who needs chemistry get out the blender let's come up with some new lines JUST MAKE SURE THAT IT DOESN'T come up E-G-G
you kidding me, every other combination has been tried but gawd forbid we go back to the egg line
No need to go on, i think you get where I'm coming from

MT can't reunite EGG because it would mean that DD and Pac have to be split. No way he could play Plek at 3C and maintain credibility.

Unclewhalebone

Aug 28, 2009
PP is the problem we need some goals....we need fresh blood on the PP.....
Patches Pleks Gally
Subban Beaulieu

Eller Chuckie DLR
Markov Petry

2nd wave has to be a different style...Eller and DLR in front of net and get shots from the point.

I like those PP units quite a bit. I might mix PAP into the DLR spot as well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
A few stats for march.

Habs stand at exactly 2 goals scored per game in march (26 goals in 13 games). 9 times out of 13 we scored 2 goals or less.

Goals against are at 2.46 (32 in the same span) - mainly thanks to Price's 3 shutouts.

March record : 5-5-3 (.500 hockey)
Record when scoring 2 or less : 2-5-2 (.375)
Record when scoring 3 or more : 3-0-1 (.875)

Morale of the story : if we score 2 or less, a shutout from Price is needed. 3 goals or more : almost guaranteed win.

Point of this thread : did the Canadiens overachieve this season?

Visually speaking, I've been encouraged with the habs past 2 games on the road in Nashville and Winnipeg, even though the record only says 0-1-1.

They are getting more pucks at the net and the starts have been better.

I don't see it as running out of gas to be honest. Rather, I see it as a tough stretch, and we all knew going into march that the schedule was fairly difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad