GDT: "Is There Anybody Out There?" | Oilers vs. Ducks (Part 2) | 4.22.2013 | 7:30 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Smid's wedding looked fun. I'd rather watch a re-run of the procession than the rest of this game

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hall and Yakupov have both been said to have low hockey IQ by many yet they obviously have the most heart as well. Heart and desire can go a hell on long ways in this league. Look at Smyth in his prime as a good example.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Gilbert was on the All-Rookie team...17 goals as a rookie. Never looked out of place in a top-4 role on a pseudo-competitive team.

Petry plays a complete game, not a one-dimensional one. That's always been his calling card.

Both of these guys came out of college and didn't "burn out" with a pro schedule.

Both of these players were weaker than Schultz offensively coming out of college, and continue to be so today. But both were also miles ahead in their own zone.

Why is offense the only thing you people look at in defensemen? There's a reason they're called "defense"men

With no due respect, you're pretty biased.
Gilbert didn't score 17 goals as a rookie, and he also played on a team with an actual #1 minute eating responsible defenseman.

Petry is still prone to making amazing mental gaffs in his own zone. Let's not forget him chasing make believe players behind the net instead of the actual player (chicago OT winner) or the bad pinch he made on Anaheim's 2-1 goal last night.

It's really easy to cherry pick bad plays though.

While J Schultz has looked overwhelmed at times, he's also looked incredibly composed and cool/calm/collected at others. See; Brandon Dubinsky stick check.

I can cherry pick plays too, it's easy.

The Perfect Human*

Neither guy played the amount of games Schultz has played this season in their rookie years.

But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Huge proponent of trading Hemsky this year. Him along with 89/14 are big reasons why this team looks like a bunch of preteens against Pacific Division teams.

Makes me LOL when people use my username to undermine my opinions. It's an account made in 2006 to respect a player who's done more for this franchise than Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov/Schultz ever have.

Has it ever occurred to you that Krueger's system is hard to learn for defensemen? Name one of our D that was here last year that looks as good as they did last year. This should be good......

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
Shawn Horcoff has been the captain of the worst organization in NHL history. He is the epitome of the wrong kind of player on this team.

He's a soft as butter, overpaid, mediocre player who brings nothing unique. He is not good defensively, offensively and brings zero energy. He is a waste of space. The captain of your team can't be so god damn lethargic. When was the last time Shawn Horcoff got mad? I think I vaguely recall him trying to beat up Sami Kapanen once.

The guy is a zombie out there 1/2 the time. Skates around and waives his stick at guys instead of actually doing anything.

We talk about how this team lacks energy night in and night out. Shawn Horcoff hasn't done anything to change the momentum of a hockey game in years. This is the captain. The leader. Its a joke.
bull-528-x-331.jpg

The Perfect Human*

I doubt Gilbert was playing the number of minutes Schultz has played this year either.

You're right. He was playing one minute more/game than Schultz. With Dennis "Garbagekov"

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Down 2-0 and Krueger still plays the Smyth line. Unbelievable. During the Oil Kings game last Friday Coach Laxdal had his 4th line stapled to the bench for much of the game.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
Maybe we're underestimating Krug's intelligence. Maybe he is playing Smytty that much so that nobody, including Smytty, will mistake him for an NHLer come next season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's gone cold for sure.

The one thing that's starting to tick me off about Gagner is his lack of compete in the faceoff circle. He is just getting owned out there night after night. I realize its a small part of the game, but ffs bear down a bit please.

And given how poor he is on faceoffs I can't figure out why he keeps on taking the lion's share of the draws for the team. I thought Horc and Smithson were supposed to be faceoff dynamos. Does Krueger want to lose the draws? I don't get it.

Just another thing to add to the list of questionable decisions by Ralph.
Horc has even been playing wing the last few games for some reason.

Ben Lovejoy sucks.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
But this "worn out" excuse has been used since Game 15 for him...weird huh?

He's a great piece for the future, and I'd keep him unless there's a huge overpay/piece coming back (OEL-range player in return for a combo). 50-pt blueliners don't grow on trees.

That being said, the top-pairing hype is getting ridiculous. He's an offensive defenseman, and by no means a complete player.

There's some huge steps needed for him to get to that point (size, awareness, etc). From listening to him analyze the game, he seems like a smart kid, so I think the awareness will eventually get there.

To me, he turns into Keith Yandle in a couple years. Sick offensive defenseman that requires sheltering in a second pairing role. Not quite a top-pairing defenseman.

Keith Yandle would be a top pairing d-man on a lot of teams, even a lot of good teams. Yandle would be top pairing in Pittsburgh and LA IMO.

"Top pairing d-man" doesn't mean some unbelievable high end d-man. Marc Andre Bergeron was a top pairing d-man for the Oilers for much of 05-06, lol.

Schultz can develop into a solid no.2 d-man, which is technically a "top pairing D", perhaps a bit more even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad