Is the NHL's heart not in the Winter Classic this year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The match-up this year just feels completely random.

As some other people said, there are obvious choices that would have been better. The Stanley Cup rematch idea is actually pretty ingenious. That could really give the game an extra something that it's been missing for a few years now, and that could grow into a pretty unique tradition. Beyond that, Pitt/Phi would obviously be a good matchup, maybe BOS/MTL, NYR/NYI, LAK/SJ...there are just so many match-ups that make so, so much more sense than this one.

They get one game a year to try to push the sport to a more general audience - set up a game that people will want to see.

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
I feel like the Winter Classic is showing more of the NBA-side of Gary Bettman -- showcase the players, not the team.

This Winter Classic is Ovechkin vs. Kane/Toews more than it is Washington vs. Chicago.

If you're going to put Washington in it again, make it Washington / Ottawa -- Battle of The Capitols.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Just curious... would you really feel the same way if it was Hawks being recycled for a game at Busch Stadium?

If it was Hawks at Busch, it would mean they were playing the Blues, which would mean a rivalry game and people outside of the division might have some interest.

Personally, I have no problem with repeat teams. Hawks, Pens, Wings, or any Canadian team have a big following, so they are always a safe bet to put in the game. But at least make it an interesting match-up.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
And as someone whose a huge fan of the outdoor games it bums me out that the effort doesn't seem to be there to try to make this one special.

If the game is not "special" enough for one on its own, then it's not special.

Personally, I think it's simply matter of familiarity breeding a bit of contempt.

The Winter Classic is no longer "new," and among some, interest wanes quickly.

It remains a nice way to kick off the new year. But it is no longer novel.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
As long as NBC picks the teams , you'll see the same ones over and over . They want garranteed ratings, and in their minds those 6-7 we've seen play [some multiple times] are it. The NHL always says they want to grow the game, to reach out and get new fans, but refuse to market teams west of Chicago, and this game is another example.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I'd rather see some kinda off-the-board ones.

Minnesota vs Dallas (with DAL in North Stars jerseys. Old Minnesota vs new Minnesota)

Chicago vs St. Louis.

Montreal vs Colorado (Avs in Nordiques colors)

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
Or are the Capitals just not putting much effort in hosting it?

I will say I have no complaints as far as the Epix show in the run-up to the game even if it is a little different than the HBO version.

And I understand DC cannot control the fact we will not get an awesome snowglobe effect this year or that their venue lacks the history of other past choices. And I give credit that the ice mall to skate out on the rink looks neat.

But why is there no alumni game this year? The Leafs/Wings alumni contest last year was awesome even as a person whose team wasn't in it.

Then I saw on twitter there's apparently some vip/media game today but can't tell it was streamed and no one was in the stands for it as far as I can tell. Also can't find a list of who was even in it. Just passing twitter mentions from a us congressman, an actor, and a guitarist.

If this the NHL dropping the ball or the Caps?

And as someone whose a huge fan of the outdoor games it bums me out that the effort doesn't seem to be there to try to make this one special. Maybe it all comes down to the weird team selection?

I arrived in DC today and I think you are correct about the lack of effort. Not sure whose effort, but it is definitely lacking. Outside of the host hotel for the travel package, there is nothing advertising this game here. Even the hotel just has a few logos inside.

Whoever was in charge of marketing totally dropped the ball, imo. I've been all over this city today, just got back from a night tour as well and saw nothing advertised at any bars or restaurants, no billboards, nothing. Half the people I've spoken with (cabbies, waitstaff, people on the bus tour, etc) are barely aware of what is taking place tomorrow. It's unbelievable really and seems totally half assed.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Theres absolutely no history to the teams involved. Its not snowy.

Detroit set the bar high last year with the whole "Winter Classic" village type thing going on with all the various games and activities involved. It snowed gently throughout the whole game. Two classic O6 rivals.

That WC really is the benchmark. I understand it's difficult to match though.

They should be held in football stadiums from now on. Ballpark sightlines, even from a tv standpoint are terrible.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
I'm sure it has already been mentioned but the entire US is swamped with sports games. There are too many bowl games, basketball and what have you. The Winter Classic should be every two or three years anyways, it no longer is a special part of the game.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
The only reason I care is because I like one of the teams, otherwise I completely understand the lackluster attention. For those who may have forgotten, Washington is only getting this because Bettman promised it to Leonsis since they had to play in Pittsburgh a few years back.

BTW, Ovi's winter classic $170 jersey was 50% off at Modells a couple days ago, before the game even happened. Couldn't get rid of them fast enough (and now they're gone). The youth jersey is still up for those interested.

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
no offense to chicago at all, great team and all.. but it should've been caps vs pens/flyers/rangers/tampa/islanders something like that instead, yes even though half those teams have played in several already.

point is, theres been too many out door games like many others have said, one a year or one every other year keeps the novelty. They should do 2 a year, both on new years day. 2 west coast teams play each other, 2 east coast teams play each other. no more than that though.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
the Caps and Hawks aren't rivals or compareable unless they meet in the finals somehow(yea right) and then the NHL looks like geniuses.

also the Caps unis look maroon... way to ruin red, white and blue.

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
In a few years there will be so many outdoor games that once a year they'll have a special Indoor Classic that will feel unique.

:laugh: Best post of the thread.

A combination of over-saturation of outdoor games has ruined the "specialness" of the WC. That and the fact that Washington-Chicago is not even close to a rivalary. Hell, have they ever even played each other before? Lol.

There are only a few matchups that haven't been done yet that would get people excited..in my opinion they are the following.

1-Philadelphia-Pittsburgh at Penn State

100,000 fans watching one of the most heated rivalries in the sport right in the center of the state. The crowd alone would be worth watching.

2-Detroit-Colorado

Different conferences now but the history is still there and the Avs have inexplicably not yet been a part of an outdoor game.

3-Minnesota-Dallas

Two good young franchises on the cusp of contending and obvious history. An outdoor game in Minnesota would have perfect weather too.

If they ditch the Heritage Classic we can start incorporating Canadian teams into the mix and then we can see Boston-Montreal and other interesting matchups.

I could not agree more with this. Bang on. Too many outdoor games + bad matchup is my explanation as well, and the matchups you listed would be perfect, and all better than Caps-Hawks.

I'm a Hawks fan, and I think the Hawks have been in more outdoor games than most non-Hawks fans want to see (I get that it's about $$$ and the Hawks bring that to the NHL, but...). If they HAD to do another Hawks game, I'd have liked to see Hawks-Blues. Essentially, I think the Winter Classic should be a rivalry game, or if not a huge current rivalry, at least a historical one.

That said, I'm watching today's game - because I'm a Hawks fan. If this was Caps vs. another random team that the Caps have no rivalry or historical rivalry with, I'm not sure I'd tune in.

NYRangerFan*

Is anybody actually gonna sit there and watch the game for 3 hours? Washington and Chicago just sounds boring

hockeyfanOU812

do you feel in charge?
Mar 27, 2014
Why would you blame the Caps for the NHL's lack of promoting, ideas for sub-events and oversaturation of outdoor games.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The match is really random. I like seeing storied teams take the ice in the WC and Heritage.

Might get flak, but I think that is what it should be; The Winter Classic is more of a storied team's game... definitely is O6 geared/biased. the Stadium Series games are more for the rest, it seems.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
The difference between 1st and 8th is 3-4 wins right now.

4 weeks ago, the bottom 6 of the Capitals was completely invisible and Holtby couldn't stop a beach ball.

So what's the excuse of all these great teams ahead of the Capitals with only 6 or 7 points(with Tampa playing 1 more and Montreal playing 2 more games then the Caps) then the "mediocre" Capitals?

The teams that are in contention to make the POs are the ~14th - 20th teams in the league. You can try to spin that any way that makes you feel better, but it doesn't change the fact that 14th - 20th best in the league is ****ing mediocre.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Bunch of Debbie Downers in here totally resistant to anything new. They resist change, they resist anything. There's 1230 NHL games a year and the NHL plays 4-5 outdoor games. That amounts to 0.4% of the games being played outdoor and not one team plays outside more than once. Where's the oversaturation?

Some guy many miles away watching on t.v. may not be excited but I guarantee you the local fans of the team hosting the event and the city are pretty excited. The NHL generates many more times more revenue with these games than they do your typical game.

This thread makes me laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad