Is Team USA's defence too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I think that if the kids were playing HS this year or Shattucks or even USHL i think it would be. But most are playing NCAA. And playing for teams like Mich and NoDak. They have played in big games and agaist older players. I think they should be fine.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Every commentary on the U.S. WJC team says the defense is a major strength of the team, and I tend to agree. After last year's naming of Brian Lee I can understand the concern about putting a guy like Erik Johnson out there, but he's an exceptional talent who plays beyond his years. I think he's going to really open some eyes this tournament and solidify a top three draft position. The rest of the guys are rocks. Matt Niskanen is a bit adventursome, but Coach Kyle will keep him grounded.

espo*

I agree that defense should'nt be a problem with that team,they are talented and play a lot of high level hockey so aside from a few early burps.................they will come along.I do hope that maybe they don't get it together solidly as partners and we can put pressure on them however.As good as they they potentially can be they may be suseptible to a few key turnovers though..........we'll have to wait and see.Russias was the other night, puck and body pressure can do that to d-men.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Yandle is an 86....he could have been of use thats for sure. Perhaps take one of those 87's off and have them for next year.

But I guess we wont know how that young group will play until the games actually are played.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
I think that if the kids were playing HS this year or Shattucks or even USHL i think it would be. But most are playing NCAA. And playing for teams like Mich and NoDak. They have played in big games and agaist older players. I think they should be fine.

Everyone of Team USA's D-men are freshmen, except E. Johnson, at the NCAA level and have played less than half a season there. Even the two 86's on the roster are freshman at 19 yrs old. Never mind the youth factor, but you can make a case for inexperience as well.

I was right last year that the USA brass made a few mistakes when naming the D-men and this year again I think they may have gone wrong. For starters, like last year, 17 yr olds rarely play at the WJC's, never mind being a defencemen. Having four 18 yr olds and two 19 yr olds who are freshman at the NCAA level could lead to a few too many mistakes and more trouble if they run into an injury or two.

I think the USA forwards are really going to have to carry this team and the goaltending will have to come up big.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
IF this outstanding US team has a "weakness" (and I use the term very loosely), it would be defence. But both Johnson's and Lee are absolutely outstanding. Niskanen is a wanderer though. I expect the other three to be solid.

This defence is, imo, just fine.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
HabLover said:
Everyone of Team USA's D-men are freshmen, except E. Johnson, at the NCAA level and have played less than half a season there. Even the two 86's on the roster are freshman at 19 yrs old. Never mind the youth factor, but you can make a case for inexperience as well.

I was right last year that the USA brass made a few mistakes when naming the D-men and this year again I think they may have gone wrong. For starters, like last year, 17 yr olds rarely play at the WJC's, never mind being a defencemen. Having four 18 yr olds and two 19 yr olds who are freshman at the NCAA level could lead to a few too many mistakes and more trouble if they run into an injury or two.

I think the USA forwards are really going to have to carry this team and the goaltending will have to come up big.

I ll take it you ve watched all these freshmen play this year. I think your dead wrong not the USA brass! :biglaugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
USA! said:
I ll take it you ve watched all these freshmen play this year. I think your dead wrong not the USA brass! :biglaugh:

I agree.

Every player on this defense has played incredible this year.

Keep trying to pick this team apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad