Is Seth Jones Lowkey the Best D In the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
These playoffs have been eye-opening to me. I don't get to watch the Blue Jackets that often, but every time I do I'm absolutely amazed by Seth. So well poised with the puck, strong like an ox, such a good skater for being 6.4 but, more importantly, always seem to make the smart play even though he looks like he can pretty much do anything he wants out there. He's beasting at both ends of the ice right now and has since the start of the playoffs. If this is his usual level of play it's hard to say that he's not up there with the best in the league considering how incredibly well rounded his game is, and more so than some of the recent Norris nominees.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
These playoffs have been eye-opening to me. I don't get to watch the Blue Jackets that often, but every time I do I'm absolutely amazed by Seth. So well poised with the puck, strong like an ox, such a good skater for being 6.4 but, more importantly, always seem to make the smart play even though he looks like he can pretty much do anything he wants out there. He's beasting at both ends of the ice right now and has since the start of the playoffs. If this is his usual level of play it's hard to say that he's not up there with the best in the league considering how incredibly well rounded his game is, and more so than some of the recent Norris nominees.
So you openly say you do not watch him. Maybe you should not make evaluations on who the best d man in the game is off of 2 games you've watched.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Has to be up there for sure,has everything you would want in a top pairing defender.....Think Nashville would likely want a do over on this trade

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's a great defenseman, one that you don't always hear a ton of praise about - but no he's not the best. Maybe among the best - but there's still some absolutely fantastic defensemen in this league.

Doughty - despite the bad season
Hedman
Karlsson
Subban
Burns

Others too. He's young so if the question was "who do you take moving forward" - he certainly goes up the list above some of these guys, though still wouldn't be #1.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
He's a great defenseman, one that you don't always hear a ton of praise about - but no he's not the best. Maybe among the best - but there's still some absolutely fantastic defensemen in this league.

Hedman
Karlsson
Subban
Burns

Others too. He's young so if the question was "who do you take moving forward" - he certainly goes up the list above some of these guys, though still wouldn't be #1.
This season he was better than most of those guys on the list you have. Burns had a crazy year point wise, but there's no debate in my mind that Seth Jones is the MUCH better all round defenseman. So there's a good point to be made that he might be better than all those D, with the only exception being perhaps Hedman.

But, don't forget, most of those guys are trending down. Doughty had an off-year in a big way, Karlsson likely never goes back to his former level and, even if he does, he'll never be as good in his own zone as Seth. PK is a tricky one because he's seen a sharp decline this year. It pains me to say it because I'm a big PK fan, but his lack of footspeed going forward might be a huge problem for him. Either his back is a huge problem or his emphasis on too much muscle, but right now Seth is the better player.

If I had to pick one D to start a team next year right now including all the names above, Seth is my guy.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This season he was better than most of those guys on the list you have. Burns had a crazy year point wise, but there's no debate in my mind that Seth Jones is the MUCH better all round defenseman. So there's a good point to be made that he might be better than all those D, with the only exception being perhaps Hedman.

But, don't forget, most of those guys are trending down. Doughty had an off-year in a big way, Karlsson likely never goes back to his former level and, even if he does, he'll never be as good in his own zone as Seth. PK is a tricky one because he's seen a sharp decline this year. It pains me to say it because I'm a big PK fan, but his lack of footspeed going forward might be a huge problem for him. Either his back is a huge problem or his emphasis on too much muscle, but right now Seth is the better player.

If I had to pick one D to start a team next year right now including all the names above, Seth is my guy.

I agree that most of the guys I listed are a bit older and as a result likely trending down (or at least - staying even, whereas Jones is still trending up).
And I think if I was asked who I take next year going forward between all those names Jones gets some serious consideration too.

But to me when you ask "whose the best player" the question should be "who do you take for one full season only starting tomorrow". Or maybe even - "who do you take for one full playoff only starting tomorrow". Is Jones #1 on your list to both those questions? Is he even in the top half among names i listed? I think that's the best question to ask to figure out who the best defenseman is today.

Reactions: CrypTic

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
As a Bruins fan, I think he has been incredible so far. He does everything so well, and his defensive stickwork is amazing. He’ll get a Norris or 2 within the next 5-7 years.

Reactions: Toe Pick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So you openly say you do not watch him. Maybe you should not make evaluations on who the best d man in the game is off of 2 games you've watched.

Do you feel like his assessment was incorrect? I watch him quite a bit and I think his evaluation is spot on. He is definitely one of the best D men in hockey. So really you're just being a hater.

Hedman
Karlsson
Subban
Burns

At this point there is no doubt in my mind I take him over Subban. The rest of the 4 are debatable. There are also a few other that you didnt mention that id take over Subban too (Rielly, Heiskanen, Chabot, Josi, Giordano) . I dont think he is definitively the best but he is in the conversation.

Moving forward though its hard to argue you'd take anyone other than Chabot, Rielly and Heiskanen moving forward when you take into account age.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad