Is Sergei Bobrovsky still a top 10 goalie?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Sergei Bobrovsky still a top 10 goalie?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
No...but reputation does.

What does this mean?

What rep did Bob have going into his first Vezina win? And what didn't make him the deserving choice over Holtby for his second?

Bob is about as spotty as I've ever seen. Seems like he has two good-excellent seasons followed up by two average-bad seasons like clockwork.

He can't be relied on for the playoffs of course.

Doesn't mean he's not awesome when he's on in the regular season. Very deserving of both of his Vezinas and he's only about to turn 32 so he still has some life in him. It wouldn't remotely shock me to see him win 3-4 Vezinas and then have everyone scratching their heads as they try to figure out if he had a Hall of Fame career.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
no

However, goalies are like this. Binnington was bad too, and the short term narrative against him is that he was "solved" but I don't think so.

There's a lot of bounce back potential. Ideally Florida tries to help him out by changing the D somehow.

Just look at Price. Some confidence and support, and boom. His high cap hit is still eyebrow raising but he looked worth it for much of these playoffs. Something we couldn't say for a long while before that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What does this mean?

What rep did Bob have going into his first Vezina win? And what didn't make him the deserving choice over Holtby for his second?

Bob is about as spotty as I've ever seen. Seems like he has two good-excellent seasons followed up by two average-bad seasons like clockwork.

He can't be relied on for the playoffs of course.

Doesn't mean he's not awesome when he's on in the regular season. Very deserving of both of his Vezinas and he's only about to turn 32 so he still has some life in him. It wouldn't remotely shock me to see him win 3-4 Vezinas and then have everyone scratching their heads as they try to figure out if he had a Hall of Fame career.

Once a guy has "arrived" like that...they tend to just hang around the media perception for a long time to come. Win one Vezina, and the media is going to tout the guy like he's a perennial Vezina candidate. That's how it works. That's why Bob was signed to an absolutely catastrophic contract.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
If you basing it only on performance and ignore his contract that probably. He tends to have dramatic yo-yo like swings from 1 year to the next. If history repeats its-self than next year the question is likely to be......"Is Bob a top 3 goalie?"

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I still think he's capable of playing at an elite level but it's difficult to predict whether or not he will. He's wildly inconsistent.

Either way, I have zero sympathy for the Panthers. They stronged-armed Luongo into retiring, rather than rightly going on LTIR, so that they could milk the necessary cap space to sign Bobrovsky. Now that the Canucks are saddled with an asinine recapture penalty, I wont pretend I'm not happy to see Florida paying for that signing in more ways than one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad