Is Rick Rypien, pound-for-pound, the best fighter in the NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dfk711*

What a great fight between Neil and Rypien, I'd give the slight edge to Neil.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What a great fight between Neil and Rypien, I'd give the slight edge to Neil.

Me too.

I was wondering what Weekes was talking about on HNIC last night when he gave the edge to Rypien....Neil landed several big bombs.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
^ either all of you are on crack, or you didn't watch the same fight. Rypien smoked Neil and it wasn't close.

Yeah....OK. I can't stand Neil and would love to see Rypien pump him, but there is no way Rypien smoked him. It was a draw at best and probably an edge Neil. If the linesmen hadn't jumped in so quick, I think it would have been another decisive loss for Rypien.

kammyBlazer*

Yeah....OK. I can't stand Neil and would love to see Rypien pump him, but there is no way Rypien smoked him. It was a draw at best and probably an edge Neil. If the linesmen hadn't jumped in so quick, I think it would have been another decisive loss for Rypien.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuheA4T0ZY

I'm trying my best to view a Neil win. He would have definitely got the edge had he landed his punches. You guys seem to miss how Rypien ducked almost all of Neil's punches. Neil seemed to get about 3 punches in at the very end: the left hook, and the two following punches when he lifts Rypiens jersey up.

Look closer. Pretty much all of Neil's punches go over Rypiens head. I'm seriously not trying to be a homer for Rypien, but to me he won.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Overseer*

Neil landed maybe 1 or 2 punches. There is just absolutely no way he won that fight.

Rypien didn't beat him down, but he definitely beat him. No question.

Loved the mockery of Neil on the way to the box, too. Great job by Rypien.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Rypien landed more, Neil landed the better ones. Definition of a draw if you ask me. Neil landed some absolute bombs at the end though so I think if I had to give a guy the edge it'd be him. Also is the fact that Rypien had some damage going on.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
That fight was all show. Both guys throwing lots of punches but very very few landing.

How on earth can you consider Rypien winning the fight when his shots were glancing blows the shoulder or light taps to the helmet. He throws lots of fast punches but not many of them actually hit something.

The most telling thing about that fight was the cut under Rypien's eye and no damage done to Neil, other than him hurting his hand.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Neil landed maybe 1 or 2 punches. There is just absolutely no way he won that fight.

Rypien didn't beat him down, but he definitely beat him. No question.

Loved the mockery of Neil on the way to the box, too. Great job by Rypien.

:laugh: That's great. Rypien definitely did some damage to Neil's knuckles though, gotta give him credit.

Man, I really like Rypien but it's hard to be a fan of his when he has so many blind homers for fans.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
That fight was all show. Both guys throwing lots of punches but very very few landing.

How on earth can you consider Rypien winning the fight when his shots were glancing blows the shoulder or light taps to the helmet. He throws lots of fast punches but not many of them actually hit something.

The most telling thing about that fight was the cut under Rypien's eye and no damage done to Neil, other than him hurting his hand.
That looked like a fingernail scratch to me. If those count, advantage Neil. Otherwise, I lean slightly towards Rypien.

We can revisit this tonight if Rypien has a big shiner or not.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How can people say Rypien won that fight? I just dont see it. He maybe landed one left at the start and one in the middle. The rest of the time was him flailing trying to protect his face. Neil didn't land too many, but the ones he was throwing had a ton more oomph.

My vote still goes to Neil.

Right when Lee goes "Rypien might have the fastest hands in the league", he doesn't even come close to landing one and is just defending himself after that.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Rypien is a good fighter but Canuck homers are blind every fight. That was a very even tilt, maybe even to Neil.

Neester

Dec 23, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
I think we should just appreciate the fact that it was an entertaining fight. The real winners are people like us (or, people like me) who just enjoy a good fight. Yeah, lots of punches missed but it sure is exciting seeing them just go at it.

The Overseer*

:laugh: That's great. Rypien definitely did some damage to Neil's knuckles though, gotta give him credit.

Man, I really like Rypien but it's hard to be a fan of his when he has so many blind homers for fans.

Have you watched the fight video? It has been linked to in this thread. Go watch it. Count how many punches Neil lands. A couple, at most.

I like Neil, by the way. I'd love to have him on the Canucks.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Punches that did nothing.

No offense to Rypien, he's a quick puncher for sure, but he throws muffins. It showed as the fight wore on, Neil's punches were about twice as strong.

I could see a draw, because Ripper had a good start, but just can't see an edge for him. Neil landed much better punches, and it showed on Rypien's face.

Great fight though, a bit closer than their last one.

There's a pretty clear picture in the local paper of how Rypien's face got cut, and the summation that it was Neil's fingernails that did the damage would appear to be accurate.

As for Rypien throwing muffins, that seems a little biased to me. He broke Cam Janssen's nose fairly well earlier this year, I don't know that a muffin(no matter what ingredients you put in there) could do that.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Have you watched the fight video? It has been linked to in this thread. Go watch it. Count how many punches Neil lands. A couple, at most.

How many punches does Rypien land? In the end it looks like Neil does more damage based on the evidence we can see.

What I saw from the fight was Rypien throw a lot of fast punches that do no damage, and are questionable whether or not they land.

I'm trying to be as neutral as possible in my observations, but I don't see a clear cut winner since the refs jumped in far too early. The only thing I would base a winner on is the damage to Rypien's face after the fight.

edit: so the conclusion is not a cut from the fight - thus, no clear winner, and far from a Rypien win

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
good close fight but i give the edge to rypien. he landed a lot more. the majority tends to agree
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/93272

Yes but you have to understand that on that site any Pejorative Slured 12 year homer old can vote anonymously. If you read the comment page, it's all immature garbage like ''LOLL neil iz a **** sucker win rypien omgz!!11''. If you read the actual game thread on the ''You them brawl?'' board, every poster is saying draw or win Neil. If you go on dropyourgloves.com, which has an idiocy filter in it's voting system where you have to write a review and all of that to vote, right now the overwhelming majority says win Neil.
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=280378&Fight=283048#Fight283048

I though it was great fight, both guys are gamers. I think it's either draw or edge Neil, he definietly landed the harder punches. It seems as though Rypien just started to throw as many punches as fast as possible at the start of the fight to overwhelm Neil and try to end it fast.. Neil withstood the flurry and kept his composure and then came back and took over the fight and overpowered Rypien, much like their last scrap. Looks like Rypien didn,t want to throw anymore at the end.

Again, either draw or win Neil.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Agreed about hockeyfights.com votes to a point. The majority of people there are pretty good, but read some of the comments. Some people definitely have their blinders on. Their favorite player can be carried off on a stretcher after having his face caved in and they would still call it an obvious, 1-sided victory for him.

That said, I'd still lean towards saying Rypien won that tilt. Not a domination by any stretch, but a W IMO.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
Yes but you have to understand that on that site any Pejorative Slured 12 year homer old can vote anonymously. If you read the comment page, it's all immature garbage like ''LOLL neil iz a **** sucker win rypien omgz!!11''. If you read the actual game thread on the ''You them brawl?'' board, every poster is saying draw or win Neil. If you go on dropyourgloves.com, which has an idiocy filter in it's voting system where you have to write a review and all of that to vote, right now the overwhelming majority says win Neil.
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Fights/GameEvents.aspx?Game=280378&Fight=283048#Fight283048

I though it was great fight, both guys are gamers. I think it's either draw or edge Neil, he definietly landed the harder punches. It seems as though Rypien just started to throw as many punches as fast as possible at the start of the fight to overwhelm Neil and try to end it fast.. Neil withstood the flurry and kept his composure and then came back and took over the fight and overpowered Rypien, much like their last scrap. Looks like Rypien didn,t want to throw anymore at the end.

Again, either draw or win Neil.

i didnt know about that site, thanks for that!

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I would love to see Chara kick the **** out of Rypien.My brother is a Canucks fan and is always talking about how crazy a fighter Rypien is.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would love to see Chara kick the **** out of Rypien.My brother is a Canucks fan and is always talking about how crazy a fighter Rypien is.

Well, Rypien is an extremely good fight. Him vs. Chara would be over pretty quickly, IMO. That'd be like watching Godzilla vs. Bambi. The height analogy isn't far off in that example either.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Wow.

Could you maybe pick someone that's only 8 inches taller and 80 pounds heavier than Rypien like Boris Valabik (who he tuned up)? Rather than someone who's 10 inches taller and 90 pounds heavier like Chara?

I mean sheesh. About the only thing your post tells me is that in your opinion you have confirmed Rypien is the best PFP fighter if you feel the need to hypothetically sick Chara on him..

bigjohnson

Feb 9, 2010
Rypien is definitely a good fighter and I love his style. His fights are entertaining and he has some quality wins over guys like Carcillo, Staubitz, Prust (2-1), and Cam Janssen.

With that being said, I'm not even sold on Rypien being the best middleweight in the league. So, I would have to say no to him being the best P4P guy. I like him a lot, though.

NJDEVILS17*

He still needs to fight Arron Asham at least 3 times and Cam Janssen 2 more times before I can solidify him as a top MW and best P4P.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad