Is Loui Eriksson still a top line RW?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
His production has taken a significant hit since getting traded to Boston. I remember he once was considered untouchable in the Dallas system. I dont know if hes being underutilized by Julien or his system doesnt fit his game. But I would like to see if he can get back to his 70+ pt campaigns that he had with Dallas as their top line RW and best 2 way forward. This guy was once considered by many an elite 2 way winger who could win a few Selkes in his career. A modern version of Jere Lehtinen is probably the best player to compare him to.

Is he still a top line RW? Has he slowed down the past couple seasons?

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Past two seasons he's scored at a 49 pt pace. This season he's scoring at a 51 pt pace. Lots of injuries factored into that, but looks to me like his scoring has definitely slowed.

HOWEVER

He's the 23rd highest scoring right wing this season.
He was the 38th highest scoring right wing last season in spite of playing only 61 games.
He was the 30th highest scoring right wing in 2012-13.

Loui Eriksson is a 50 pt player now. That's still a top line RW.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I think he is best suited for a team like Toronto, Tampa Bay or Dallas. High scoring teams and his defensive abilities would come naturally on any of those teams

His Beardliness*

He may only be a 50 point player now, but he's been playing on the 3rd line for most of his time in Boston. Julien played him on the first line with Krejci and Lucic only one time last season. He had 4 assists that game.

He's a first line winger if Julien wants him to be.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
The answer is yes. Put him on the Sedin line or with Malkin and he has instant production. Put him on the third line and ask him to shut down the opponent's 1st/2nd line and he will do that.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Let's not get all crazy about the "but he's playing on the third line" thing.
Him and Soderberg play 18+ minutes very often

Not playing with Krejci can hurt your pt output, though. But he's been injured anyway.

The chemistry Eriksson and Soderberg have is very apparent

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
He is picking it up, been tough given the concussion, but I think we will see 20+ goal Eriksson with elite defensive play. Would also say being in a Julien-Boston system on the third line has hindered his offense that we saw in Dallas. The rest of the season will be somewhat telling of his offensive recovery, but not as telling as him if he got dealt elsewhere. Sure we could see him pop 30 elsewhere next year.

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
He definately doesn't deserve the hate he gets from the B fans but guess the fact who he got traded for even though he was just a one piece coming back to Boston will haunt him as long as he plays there.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Top line? Eh, depends on your definition of a top line player. He's definitely a top six winger, no doubt.

Hes not the problem at all, we're missing another top six forward. If we got another Loui Eriksson we'd be in great shape IMO.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
As much as I've hated the guy since he's been in Boston, he's actually finally starting to find some consistency in his game the last little while. The whole thing with him before was that he'd randomly throw in a good game every 10-15 games or so, but never had any element of consistency. He has played solidly enough on the PK and in a defensive capacity, but he had absolutely no jump in his step, and was unbelievably hesitant with the puck on his stick. I think he's finally starting to gain more confidence now.

I'd still trade him the first opportunity that presented itself though. Never has been or will be a fit in Boston. I do think he could have success elsewhere though.

And for the record, my dislike of him has nothing to do with who he was traded for (I'm a huge fan of Reilly Smith). It comes from the fact that it looks like he doesn't care most of the time, or else looks like he's playing scared.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I'd say no but he has been excellent as of late and it doesn't seem to be flukey. Hopefully he can keep up his place. The question is if he is being carried by Soderberg or not.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
He could be in Vancouver since he has wicked chemistry with the Sedins.

I'd say he's a very good 2-way 2nd line winger and for his salary that's a pretty good deal.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The last few weeks the eye test has shown a different player.

Sometimes it takes a little longer for players to fully get over concussions. Especially heady players. Took Bergeron two years to get back. If he keeps playing like he has been, he is a (true) first line winger again.

He is at least a guy who can keep up with elite offensive guys and play a possession game / defensive support role on a 1st line. He would be great opposite Hall, for instance.

There is a question as to whether on a team full of two way guys he is the best fit if he doesn't regain the form he once had and has shown the past few weeks, but I certainly wouldn't do something silly like trade him for a middle 6 guy like Oshie like some Bruins fans want.

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
He may only be a 50 point player now, but he's been playing on the 3rd line for most of his time in Boston. Julien played him on the first line with Krejci and Lucic only one time last season. He had 4 assists that game.

He's a first line winger if Julien wants him to be.

Why play him on the 3rd line? Hes wasted talent down there. Youre not going to get the most out of him playing him with Chris Kelly and Soderberg.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Why play him on the 3rd line? Hes wasted talent down there. Youre not going to get the most out of him playing him with Chris Kelly and Soderberg.

He was a disaster with Bergeron. A Bergeron line never looks bad, but Eriksson managed to drag it down when he played with them. It's an ongoing debate on whether to try him with Krejci, but he's been injured for most of the season so it hasn't been easy to work him in. The only time Eriksson has played well is with Soderberg, and Julien probably doesn't want to break that up.

SuddenFoppaLidas

Jan 19, 2014
Would love him in Pittsburgh, he's a top 6 winger playing great defense. He would put up at very least 65 points with Malkin or Crosby.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Top line?

No way

Second line sure

However, Boston is deep enough to have him be on the third line and that's where he's at his best

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Maybe some folks should actually stop and think that there is definitely an improvement in being on pace for 51 pts in a team that sits around 20th overall in the league vs 49 points pace on a President's Trophy team... Almost everyone seems to be bound for a lower year totals, but Eriksson sees a slight improvement. In a normal year where we would be like our usual self, say top 4-5 in the conference, Loui would probably be on a 60+ pace EASILY. But it's one of those crappy years and things are the way they are.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
Eriksson gets the 2nd most ice time per game of all Boston forwards so far this season. He's also tied for third in points amongst Boston forwards. Calling him a 3rd liner on the Bruins isn't really fair since he gets more special teams TOI/game than any forward in the team.

And yes, he's a first liner on a lot of teams, and would still score more in a different system. Maybe not 70 points anymore, but 60-ish is realistic.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Nope. Gets easy minutes in Boston on the third line and lots of pp time. Every time he plays with krejci he is useless.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nope. Gets easy minutes in Boston on the third line and lots of pp time. Every time he plays with krejci he is useless.

Pretty much the only time they were put together for a full game in the regular season Loui had a 4 point night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad