is Jesper Bratt the biggest draft steal the last 10 years?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Bratt is amazing. I loved him in his rookie year. He's among the best draft steals, but absolutely not the best.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brayden Point (2014 #79) led the playoffs in goals back-to-back, winning the cup both times.
Way better player than Bratt.

However Bratt in the 6th round is an incredible pick for sure.

Batherson in the 4th round was a pretty great draft steal. Not as much as Bratt obviously.

Any others?

Reactions: bh53 and Realgud

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Uh?

You mean the... wasted pick that amounted to nothing? That was a draft steal?

Uh, trying to figure out how a guy telling his draft team to f*** off makes it any less of an intelligent pick where it was made.

This is about having the eye for the talent. You can't help if the talent doesn't want to play for you. (Well, sometimes you can... But in this case Fox didn't want to go anywhere but NYR)

Reactions: Faterson

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Way better player than Bratt.

However Bratt in the 6th round is an incredible pick for sure.

Batherson in the 4th round was a pretty great draft steal. Not as much as Bratt obviously.

Any others?

Swayman 4th round, but I'll preach till I'm dead that goalies are mostly about development rather than how good they were at their draft age.

Shesterkin or Kaprisov
Technically 2014 isn't 10 years.

Though there's really no way to evaluate draft steals from 2024 lol.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I'd add Devon Toews, 4th round pick in 2014.
Jonathan Marchessault went undrafted, I think that counts?

Just a few off the top of the head.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
I know it was 10 years ago, at the cutoff for this thread, but Igor was for sure a steal in the 4th round. The Rangers just know how to draft goalies in the late rounds. :thumbu:

1724086682433.png

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I know it was 10 years ago, at the cutoff for this thread, but Igor was for sure a steal in the 4th round. The Rangers just know how to draft goalies in the late rounds. :thumbu:

View attachment 901872

Technically it's past the cutoff considering 2015 to 2024 is ten drafts.

But yeah, there's probably a handful of better steals within that frame, including one that plays for, but wasn't drafted by, the Rangers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
While Kap and Fox are solid choices, both had extenuating circumstances attached to them that likely was a drag on their draft position. Kap was signed for years and there was concern about when/if he would come over to the NHL and Fox reportedly told teams he wanted to play at home in interviews so teams passed on him earlier in the draft. I don't think Bratt had any drags on this perceived value, it just happened that the Devils found a very good player late.

If we're looking even later, Matt Roy was a 7th rounder in 2015 and should be in the HM's for this debate at least and he played for the team that drafted him unlike say 2016 pick Brandon Hagel who Buffalo did not sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad