WJC: Is Jake Allen....

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BlackAces*

This is ****ing moronic...the kid is like, what? 18?

People will move on from this pretty damn quick. I have, I know 4 other people in my living room that have too.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
As much as he was to blame for 3 of the goals, the score was 5-5 at one point. He had nothing to do with the final goal.

As much as he might at the front of the line for people to blame for the loss, he clearly isn't the only person standing in that line.

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
This is ****ing moronic...the kid is like, what? 18?

People will move on from this pretty damn quick. I have, I know 4 other people in my living room that have too.

Not true canadians dont move on, lots of us still hate fleury.

BlackAces*

Seriously. :laugh:

After it was 5-3 US, I could've swore I heard some booing in the stands, and I thought SURELY the fans in attendance weren't that stupid....

I mean really...these are kids playing for the pure love of their country.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Well, losing this tourney might not be that bad.

Fleury lost it and he won the Stanley Cup years after.

Pogge won it and is now a AHL goaltender at best.

Glass won it. Where in the world is he?

Price won it. Well he isn't bad by any means but just nothing elite...yet (I hope as a Habs fan).

Mason won it. What's his % tonight? :sarcasm:

:sarcasm:

Thricecube

Jun 7, 2005
Courtenay, BC
Well, losing this tourney might not be that bad.

Fleury lost it and he won the Stanley Cup years after.

Pogge won it and is now a AHL goaltender at best.

Glass won it. Where in the world is he?

Price won it. Well he isn't bad by any means but just nothing elite...yet (I hope as a Habs fan).

Mason won it. What's his % tonight? :sarcasm:

:sarcasm:

Point...set...match

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Allen looked pretty weak overall in the two US games, the only real games where he was tested. He was definitely a goat for the 5-3 defecit.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
no. It will haunt him for a while but i'm sure he will beat himself up more than any of us or the media could.

Fleury is a perfect example: after that blowup he was considered to have no chance in any big games, and he earned the right to remove that stigma. If Allen handles it well, this game will just push him to be better.

and we have to remember that while he gave up those 5 goals, and that 3-4 of them might be considered weak, it was still the coach's decision to leave him in.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Allen looked pretty weak overall in the two US games, the only real games where he was tested. He was definitely a goat for the 5-3 defecit.

Pretty much.
Allen has been one of the worst goalies this entire tournament. He was just along the team being carried, except the problem this time is that Allen didn't have a juggernaut Canadian team bail him out of matches like Tokarski had last year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure why people feel the need to defend him here. I'm actually pretty pissed off with his poor showing in both the US games. Whatever, he's a kid and the WJCs aren't that important, but I'm not giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. He was very weak when tested and it's up to him to rebuild his reputation as a quality goalie. That's up to him. Until then, he's a goat.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure why people feel the need to defend him here. I'm actually pretty pissed off with his poor showing in both the US games. Whatever, he's a kid and the WJCs aren't that important, but I'm not giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. He was very weak when tested and it's up to him to rebuild his reputation as a quality goalie. That's up to him. Until then, he's a goat.

Being pissed off at a 19 year old playing a game is hilarious.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Fleury is a far better goalie - 1st overall pick no less. IMHO there is very little to compare between the two except for one bobbled puck.

Expectations were sky-high for MAF and he had a good tourney but that's where he got that label of not being a big game winner - all the way until the Cup last year.

It will haunt him (Allen) for a while but hopefully he does get over it, if he wants to play in the big league.

All in all, hard to just pin this on him. The whole game was quite sloppy, IMHO.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
As much as he was to blame for 3 of the goals, the score was 5-5 at one point. He had nothing to do with the final goal.

As much as he might at the front of the line for people to blame for the loss, he clearly isn't the only person standing in that line.

Don't you think that if he focused more on Carlson instead of the trailer he would have made the save. Let the D do his job and attempt break up any pass attempt. The goalie should worry about the shooter. That's the way I've broken down a play like that since I started watching hockey. Am I wrong to say that?

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Don't you think that if he focused more on Carlson instead of the trailer he would have made the save. Let the D do his job and attempt break up any pass attempt. The goalie should worry about the shooter. That's the way I've broken down a play like that since I started watching hockey. Am I wrong to say that?

Allen wasn't in net for that last goal, for what it's worth.

But the 2 glove side goals were pretty lame. Typical butterfly goalie dropping down and doing the good ol' glove wave at nothing.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

How is it hilarious? He played against other players his age, it's not like he was outside of his realm. This was a competitive tournament, right? He was selected as one of the best young Canadian goalies & played poorly the entire tournament. I'm a lil' cheesed about his play too.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If Allen played well and I was esctatic, would that also be hilarious? What does his age have to do with anything, the winning goalie is 17.

Just because you wear the national jersey doesn't mean you're immune to criticism and everyone has to love you.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Allen could not have taken the shooter from the bench, at that point in overtime.

Allen was the goat until such time as Eberle bailed him out, tying the game. From the end of regulation, it was a clean slate. The loss is not on Allen.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
If Allen played well and I was esctatic, would that also be hilarious? What does his age have to do with anything, the winning goalie is 17.

Just because you wear the national jersey doesn't mean you're immune to criticism and everyone has to love you.

I didn't say he was immune to criticism. But being personally angry with a 19 year old for his performance in a game is ridiculous in my eyes. His age has everything to do with it because your anger is generated by expectations, which ought to be generated by his age.

I can understand being disappointed that your favorite team lost, but actual anger at an individual over a game is so irrational that it's absurd.
The same would be true in the other direction: I can understand being happy that your favorite team won, but feeling personal affection towards an individual over a game is also absurd. That's the equivalent.

I'm not trying to split hairs here. You clearly said you were pissed with him.

I think he played below his capabilities, but so did most of the rest of his team, including his replacement. Canada scored multiple weak goals, too. So making one guy into a scapegoat is nonsensical, just like any special anger or affection.
They're kids. If you don't include hot-and-cold in your expectations, you have a problem. Hopefully they learn from it and move on.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Allen could not have taken the shooter from the bench, at that point in overtime.

Allen was the goat until such time as Eberle bailed him out, tying the game. From the end of regulation, it was a clean slate. The loss is not on Allen.

He didnt come up big when it mattered. It should have been 5-2 in the 3rd, not 5-5. It falls on him and the coach for not getting him out of there when he should have.

flamesfan12

Jul 20, 2003
Beaumont
Visit site
He didn't make the big save when needed too. Simple as that. I certainly don't blame the loss on Allen though. Defensively the team was pretty bad all night. Just to many odd man rushes and the Americans capitalized like good teams will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad