Is It Wrong To Be A Penguins Fan Impressed By Ovechkin?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I liked Iginla, and enjoyed watching the Sedins, and I’m an Oilers fan. Sedins terrorized us forever, we gave them a standing ovation send off. Generational/unique/great players only come around once in awhile, why not enjoy what they bring to the game? Ovi has matured a lot over the years, and I’m sure a lot of people who didn’t like him gained at least some respect for him this year.
Agreed with this. I'm a Flames fan but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what McDavid does. Same goes for the Sedins. If I were a Canuck or Oilers fan, I imagine I'd feel the same about Iginla.

Reactions: JenniferH

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
So you can't talk about the CS winner and the person who is dominating the NHL news for the past 5 days?

Any other unwritten rules being violated?

You may only discuss Ovechkin if he has given you a huge boner since 2004. Any other kinds of discussion--including warm praise tempered by mild criticism--is strictly prohibited.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
After Ovi's first playoff game this year, I was thinking that this would be the same movie as prior years. His play was totally uninspiring. He looked terrible. After that, he really turned it on.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't see how anyone can not like Ovi...he brings so much passion to the game..maybe that's why people hate him, I loved his celebrations in his prime. But it rubbed the dinosuars the wrong way, crying about "class" and what not.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There has to be a special place in hell for fans lik............LOL ....No Ovie is great ,everybody pays to see players like him

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Not weird or wrong. You can hate a team but respect/like the players for their skill/what they do for the game.

I hate Pittsburgh but love to watch Malkin play, Crosby work, etc. I hate the Caps but appreciate what Ovechkin and Backstrom have done for the org. Etc...

snag

Feb 22, 2014
People have amnesia about peak Ovechkin 2007-2010. That was the best Ovechkin. Better than this one.

Perhaps....

But 2007-2010 Ovechkin was a loser....and 2017-2018 Ovechkin is a winner. Thus....respect.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I only hate star players during the time they play against my team unless its someone who is dirty.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
You can say the same thing about Ray Bourque. It just wouldn't be smart.

I think you are attaching too much literalism of the words winner and loser to the context in which I am using them. Borque was a great player on a team that could never get it done. Sad....but true and takes nothing away from the fact he was an awesome HoF defenceman. He requested and got traded out of respect to a winner to make him a winner.

There is one ultimate goal in the NHL. Until you win it...yer not a winner.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think you are attaching too much literalism of the words winner and loser to the context in which I am using them. Borque was a great player on a team that could never get it done. Sad....but true and takes nothing away from the fact he was an awesome HoF defenceman. He requested and got traded out of respect to a winner to make him a winner.

There is one ultimate goal in the NHL. Until you win it...yer not a winner.

This is what some people believe, but I wouldn't give this argument any credence.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
No, it isn't wrong. I think it's a sign of objectivity and maturity when a fan is willing to acknowledge and show respect for opposing talent. It's not like you have to be a "fan" per se but you can still respect them. It would be nice if this or other threads showed more of that mutual respect from time to time, rather than yet another HF pissing contest.

Like I said the other day, there will come a time when you will miss the players that you used to watch after they're retired, even the ones on the other teams as well as yours.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovi was indeed different this post season. People will say: "oh the secondary scoring picked up this year- that's why!"
Well maybe they finally got off their asses was because they saw their Captain busting his tail?

So your theory is professional athletes - who dedicate their lives to hockey and are fighting for their careers and roster spots - are lacking in motivation!?!

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
No, it isn't wrong. I think it's a sign of objectivity and maturity when a fan is willing to acknowledge and show respect for opposing talent. It's not like you have to be a "fan" per se but you can still respect them. It would be nice if this or other threads showed more of that mutual respect from time to time, rather than yet another HF pissing contest.

Like I said the other day, there will come a time when you will miss the players that you used to watch after they're retired, even the ones on the other teams as well as yours.

If this thread and everyone in it was sincere, I would totally agree with you.

Unfortunately, many of the comments are backhanded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad