Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was fairly clear that both Semin and Green had question marks, high trade value and uncertain futures in DC some time ago.

That GMGM failed to get anything for Semin and is now positioned to get little or nothing for Green embodies his failure as GM.

He'd rather lose a player than risk putting his name on a bad deal. He'd rather make the playoffs every year than risk a deadline deal with his stamp on it.

This bottom line, job security first, chicken**** manner of team building won't get them far.

For years now he's turned multiple first round pics into a boom\bust draft record rather than deal to put them over the top. Meanwhile GMs for Cup winners get the most out of their picks and trade extra assets high and/or skillfully decide which UFAs to overpay.

We can debate Green and Semin, but your assessment of GMGM is dead on. Had he traded one of them high, I might have wailed. But if they went on to win a Cup, I'd have eaten my crow with relish.

That's what a good GM does. Makes the moves that need to be made regardless of fan or press response and lets the results speak for themselves.

Even if Pitt doesn't win it all this year, you can never say Shero didn't try his damnedest.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We can debate Green and Semin, but your assessment of GMGM is dead on. Had he traded one of them high, I might have wailed. But if they went on to win a Cup, I'd have eaten my crow with relish.

That's what a good GM does. Makes the moves that need to be made regardless of fan or press response and lets the results speak for themselves.

Even if Pitt doesn't win it all this year, you can never say Shero didn't try his damnedest.

mmmmm.....crow with relish

/droooool

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why not enlighten us then.

I thought they were the first team to go sans a goon year after year, that they won cups by bringing a clean game. I must be mistaken. Name their goons from the past 10 years.

I didn't know they played it dirty but defer to you who obviously knows that team inside out.

Since its not Detroit, which team if any do you think Ted and George decided would be a good team to try and emulate post lockout?

Ted and GMGM went with whatever team was most dominant or won the Cup the previous year when discussing their "new model". Then Ted would brag that his organization was being held up as a "best practice" business model for sports franchises in several leagues, with the star players as core components of a future dynasty.

In other words, I wonder why this team has no identity, a patchwork roster, and a bunch of stars that seem to think they're entitled to victory just by showing up on game night.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

I thought they were the first team to go sans a goon year after year, that they won cups by bringing a clean game. I must be mistaken. Name their goons from the past 10 years.

I didn't know they played it dirty but defer to you who obviously knows that team inside out.

Since its not Detroit, which team if any do you think Ted and George decided would be a good team to try and emulate post lockout?

Okay... however, I have one 'but':

I dislike discussing the Red Wings here. It upsets Brooklyn Caps (for one, and I am sure, many others, too), and I don't it's fair for him to have to put up with this on our board.

As for your post... when you say they win 'by goals, and goals alone' in hockey circles, this is generally used to describe a team that has a great offence, but little or no D and goaltending.

Certainly, this description is oil & water when made toward the DRW. Their D has been lead by arguably, the greatest Dman of our generation, who has won (from memory) 7 Norris trophies. The supporting D players from year to year, need no accolades.

The goaltending, again, may have had the greatest of all in the Domminator, and despite what some claim, Osgood more than proved his critics wrong.

In addition to scoring, the most prestigious award a forward can get was won by DRW players 6 to 8 times (from memory): the Selke.

DRW, again, sported, arguably, the greatest coach in NHL history, in Mr. Scotty Bowman.

And this is a team that won by 'goals, and goals, alone'????

C'mon guy!

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
Hey, what have you got against the stooges :rant:

Actually, nothing. I love the Stooges.... errrrr... the ones with Curley, that is.

Interestingly enough: I have never met a woman who enjoyed the Three Stooges. I dated this one woman when I was 28 who was 14 years older than I was. She was jewish, and very exotic looking, possessing many of the things valued by the superficial man (namely, me, especially in those days). We were at dinner one night, and were going to go to a movie later. They were showing a Three Stooges, All Curley, late-night matinee, and I suggested that we go. I can still hear her voice:

"THE THREE STOOGES? THEY'RE STUPID!!!"

It wasn't long after that we broke up. What a short-sighted woman.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

Forgot this last bit.

Here's an idea: maybe we need someone who doesn't have to look at the paper of the guy sitting next to him?

Halpysback*

All cup teams emulate the same thing - being redundantly stacked at every position with very good players, many playing lower on the depth chart than they're capable of. George never stacks. He "tries our own guys". Therefore, no cup team emulation possible.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
From today's press conference:

@SkyKerstein said:
#Caps GMGM on Green's injuries "Concerned about it and hope that it stops. It's about making sure that he's preparing properly and some of it's bad luck and some of it was last year with the groin injury, the organization trying to be conservative... you don't ever want to have surgery if you don't have to."

#Caps GMGM also talked how Green hasn't been able to get a lot of games without getting hurt "Unforunately Mike hasn't had that consistency"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Mike Green has a pretty terrible slapshot if that's what you're referencing. We shouldn't expect him to get it off or score from it. He has a world class wrist shot but everyone knows it and they guard the backdoor. He doesn't shoot more because he's bad at it AND he hasn't bothered to improve at it.

I knew I remembered reading a comment about how Green has no slapper.

I have to ask, what games have you been watching the last several years if you truly believe this? Green has always had full offensive talents at the elite levels of defensemen... so much so that some considered moving him to forward before his defense improved. Anyone who seriously says Mike Green has never had a slapper is not paying attention or just making **** up.

The shots that rung the iron high blocker side last night, and eventually went in for the game-tying goal, are textbook Green. Gonchar had a similar weapon, though I would argue Green is POTENTIALLY better in all other facets of the game.

The problems with Green have to do with what's between his ears, and his tendency to get injured. When healthy and focused/motivated he can generate enough offense to offset any other deficiencies. Same as Ovechkin.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'll have to re-watch it but I believe the goal was off a snap shot. His slapshot from the point is mediocre. Off target, not a great release, not terribly fast, not terribly heavy, doesn't get through.

We've seen great slapshots around these parts recently in Arnott, Semin and Ovechkin. Green isn't in that class.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'll have to re-watch it but I believe the goal was off a snap shot. His slapshot from the point is mediocre. Off target, not a great release, not terribly fast, not terribly heavy, doesn't get through.

We've seen great slapshots around these parts recently in Arnott, Semin and Ovechkin. Green isn't in that class.

So you're telling me this slapshot sucks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRGvshW4qCo

:shakehead

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceabHuyLuV4

Hands higher than head is a "snapshot"?

Again, how is that bad? He put it exactly where he needed to put it. And he did it more than once, with pace, to the high corners they'd been targeting, and he hit the post doing so before.

If you think an NHL defensemen only has a good slapshot if he blasts the puck through the back of the net every time and looks really cool doing it, you're in for a lot of disappointment.

Lawrencejame

Apr 18, 2012

lol what? Are you being serious? Green has a well above average slap shot and add to the fact that he can get it off so fast and through traffic, that hes easily considered as having one of the best shots from the point, in the entire league. Nitpick at his defense and his lackluster effort all you want, but to say the guys slapshot sucks is just plain stupid.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
Greenie has a mediocre slapshot. I've seen far worse, but it's not his game. As we're seeing more and more these days, it's not so much about power like it was in the 90s. There are simply too many bodies to get through by luck, and you are just as likely to take out one of your own guys as you are get it on net. Look at Crosby yesterday. Precision matters more than power these days.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I feel Green doesn't really have a very hard slapshot but that he does have a pretty darn accurate one, especially if he is shooting for the top half of the net. If they try to close him down he is not great about missing the first guy but if he has time and is able to get his head up he has a pretty darn effective shot IMO.

That being said he isn't someone you are concerned about giving up the one timer to though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
green scored 31 goals in an nhl season but cant shoot. they has a killer wrist shot and while he's not shea weber on his slap shot it gets the job done.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah of my complaints about Green his slaphot is pretty far down the list...
the issue to me is not the shot or skating or physical play, it's his 'thinking'. I think he's at the Letang level of stupid when it comes to 'hockey IQ'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad