Is it time to hang some jerseys in the MTS Centre?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Hornets and Jets are actually very similar now that Charlotte has their name back. It is officially the record book of the "Charlotte Hornets." Makes so much more sense to do this IMO.

Yes, this.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I still have yet to hear a good reason not to honor them.

I get why not to hang their jerseys, but why not honor them?

Was reading through looking for a playoff bandwagon thread of sorts and stumbled across this thread. Jersey retirements/honouring are always interesting to me.

In my opinion there are many ways you can honour a player or person. The Leafs honour numbers, still hang them from the rafters, still leave the number in circulation (exception of two). You could hang Rypien's and Snyder's numbers from the rafters without retiring them.

Pittsburgh also has a ring of honor with Michel Briere as a poster previously mentioned and Mario retired.

The Toronto Blue Jays have a level of excellence with numerous players honoured there with one number (Alomar) retired.

I think it would be a nice touch to have their numbers raised to the rafters among other things you could do to honour them. It's not going to harm anyone and it would look incredibly classy on the organization to do so.

As far as debating Jets 1.0 history and what to do with certain numbers from that era and who "owns" the history always annoyed me. You guys are the fans who watched Hawerchuk and Steen and Selanne and etc. You are the fans with the memories or 76 goals. Not the Coyotes. Regardless of who says who owns what, it's the fans with the memories of watching these players growing up who own that history. The Jets 1.0 history will forever lie where it belongs. In Winnipeg.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
In my opinion there are many ways you can honour a player or person. The Leafs honour numbers, still hang them from the rafters, still leave the number in circulation (exception of two).

That's the one thing the Leafs organization does right. It provides recognition to the players who once wore the jersey and allows other players the opportunity to wear the number of a former player that inspired them.

As far as debating Jets 1.0 history and what to do with certain numbers from that era and who "owns" the history always annoyed me. You guys are the fans who watched Hawerchuk and Steen and Selanne and etc. You are the fans with the memories or 76 goals. Not the Coyotes. Regardless of who says who owns what, it's the fans with the memories of watching these players growing up who own that history. The Jets 1.0 history will forever lie where it belongs. In Winnipeg.

Totally agree.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Hornets and Jets are actually very similar now that Charlotte has their name back. It is officially the record book of the "Charlotte Hornets." Makes so much more sense to do this IMO.

That's how I look at it. If the "Arizona Jets" and/or "Winnipeg Thrashers" (and not the AAA Midget team) were around it would be different. They never wanted the name and franchise history that goes with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad