Intermittent fasting and weight training

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Hi I’m doing intermittent fasting(16/8) and also trying to build some muscle. I do the fasting for the health benefits ( lower blood pressure, sugars, weight loss) but not sure if hindering muscle gains. Thoughts or advice please?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
It shouldn't hinder muscle growth much at all so long as your protein and calories are sorted. My greatest growth phase came intermittent fasting (14/10). The biggest debate you'll find with it is the idea that protein consumption should be taken at least 3 hours apart to digest, and thus fasting would limit your ability to maximize your feeding window for protein (say 4 meals a day over 12 hours), however there's varying results from the literature and conflicting opinions on the matter.

Reactions: avsfan9 and DaveG

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hi I’m doing intermittent fasting(16/8) and also trying to build some muscle. I do the fasting for the health benefits ( lower blood pressure, sugars, weight loss) but not sure if hindering muscle gains. Thoughts or advice please?
It comes down to protein consumption and ensuring you are getting your minimum calories.

If you are only getting 1000 calories and your minimum intake is 1,300, then yes it's going to hinder muscle gains and perhaps even result in fat retention and muscle loss.

Reactions: DaveG

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
It comes down to protein consumption and ensuring you are getting your minimum calories.

If you are only getting 1000 calories and your minimum intake is 1,300, then yes it's going to hinder muscle gains and perhaps even result in fat retention and muscle loss.
Pretty much still eating 2 good meals a day . Intermittent fasting kind of helps me cut out the junk food and snacking before bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad