Incredible leadership moment from Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
This interaction has gone "viral" as the kids say today since I've had a few buddies send this to me on Instagram and it's popped up in my feed now too. I'm not sure exactly when the clip is from originally but seems like it's only recently surfaced. (Maybe I'm wrong on that).

(EDIT: Clearly from the Pens/Sharks final in 2016, didn't notice the ice at first. Maybe this clip did the rounds way back in the day but I only saw this today and it's all over instagram so it's fresh as far as I'm concerned).

I can understand not thinking this is thread worthy but whatever, it's offseason and I'll never miss a chance to pump Crosbys tires.

As he nears the end of his career, I think we should try to take in and appreciate how lucky we as hockey fans have been to have a world class player and world class human as the face of the league for 2 decades. He caught a lot of hate early in his career but I think he's universally loved and respected at this point and for good reason. There's countless stories of him doing nice things for people that he really didn't have to do and when he didn't think he was being watched or noticed. He really doesn't do any of it for show. (Story from the Bahamas comes to mind).

Anyways, I really love this. For those who can't watch for any reason or if the video gets taken down, Malkin goes down on a two-on-one, flubs the return pass and can't score on what should have been an open net tap in. Guys on the bench are bitching about it muttering "he had an open net." Crosby snaps at them "guys, I think he knows that, why not go give him a ****ing tap instead?" Then says "we'll get another chance" and skates over to Malkin and says "you'll get another one."

(EDIT #2: I think they are actually mad at Kunitz for not shooting instead of making the extra pass).

Crosby is just the best.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
no, the open net miss was kunitz who decided to pass it back instead and that’s who crosby goes up to at the end. this was a famous (and memed on) misplay if you were a pens fan, tougher to see how wide open it was from this angle. regardless, i also had never seen this clip before and have no idea where it was pulled from. sid was made in a lab to be a leader

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
no, the open net miss was kunitz who decided to pass it back instead and that’s who crosby goes up to at the end. this was a famous (and memed on) misplay if you were a pens fan, tougher to see how wide open it was from this angle. regardless, i also had never seen this clip before and have no idea where it was pulled from. sid was made in a lab to be a leader
Yeah you're 100% right, I made an edit after re watching it. I thought "why are they mad at Malkin, it was a horrible pass." On a rewatch you can indeed see Kunitz had the puck with goalie way out of position.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I recall a game where someone-maybe Ryan Malone?- had a breakaway and he thought he had help behind him so he drop-passed it to nobody and when he came to the bench looking bummed Sid said “hey Bugsy, next time just dump it into the corner.”

Might be misremembering it though. Part of me also wants to say it was a shootout attempt and he took a slapper from way out.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
This interaction has gone "viral" as the kids say today since I've had a few buddies send this to me on Instagram and it's popped up in my feed now too. I'm not sure exactly when the clip is from originally but seems like it's only recently surfaced. (Maybe I'm wrong on that).

(EDIT: Clearly from the Pens/Sharks final in 2016, didn't notice the ice at first. Maybe this clip did the rounds way back in the day but I only saw this today and it's all over instagram so it's fresh as far as I'm concerned).

I can understand not thinking this is thread worthy but whatever, it's offseason and I'll never miss a chance to pump Crosbys tires.

As he nears the end of his career, I think we should try to take in and appreciate how lucky we as hockey fans have been to have a world class player and world class human as the face of the league for 2 decades. He caught a lot of hate early in his career but I think he's universally loved and respected at this point and for good reason. There's countless stories of him doing nice things for people that he really didn't have to do and when he didn't think he was being watched or noticed. He really doesn't do any of it for show. (Story from the Bahamas comes to mind).

Anyways, I really love this. For those who can't watch for any reason or if the video gets taken down, Malkin goes down on a two-on-one, flubs the return pass and can't score on what should have been an open net tap in. Guys on the bench are bitching about it muttering "he had an open net." Crosby snaps at them "guys, I think he knows that, why not go give him a ****ing tap instead?" Then says "we'll get another chance" and skates over to Malkin and says "you'll get another one."

(EDIT #2: I think they are actually mad at Kunitz for not shooting instead of making the extra pass).

Crosby is just the best.

I still like the story of him seeing an old bloke at the Hospital and him not being a Penguins fan but Crosby helped guide his hands over the players he liked, I think it was the Habs legends he traced his finger over for him as he was blind. Crosby is very private but he's always been an absolute class act as a person.

There's also that one story where after the Penguins played like absolute crap, Crosby went and made the entire team workout with him after the game. Probably a tactic to just clear their heads and get their mind right, but Sid being quiet, he's not one of those super loud leaders and is a lead by example type but I remember reading about how Guerin was like he's quiet but when he speaks up, you listen.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Okay, guess this is incredible leadership. I think that Crosby(or anyone else) doing that stuff is really annoying, though.

There's always that one guy who doesn't let you process your feelings and is like "hey just don't say anything and think positive bruh" and then you get this pent up resentment that never is processed. I think that it's much better to just be able to voice your frustrations openly in the moment and move on, rather than holding them back artificially like this.

This holier-than-thou "herp derp I think he knows"-stuff, I just can't stand it.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think at that moment, most of us Pens fans joke about it now but yeah it was just bizarre as even Malkin was like what the f***? His stick is off the ice and Malkin isn't thinking he's getting a pass back at all as even Geno was like here's an easy tap in for Kuni and low and behold Kunitz doing what he always does with Sid and passes it right back when he had an easy goal. Kunitz has his stick on the ice, he's looking for that pass and to Geno that's like an automatic duh ok go score, to get it back, yeah that would frustrate anyone knowing they should have shot it - In the Stanley Cup Finals.
Okay, guess this is incredible leadership. I think that Crosby(or anyone else) doing that stuff is really annoying, though.

There's always that one guy who doesn't let you process your feelings and is like "hey just don't say anything and think positive bruh" and then you get this pent up resentment that never is processed. I think that it's much better to just be able to voice your frustrations openly in the moment and move on, rather than holding them back artificially like this.

This holier-than-thou "herp derp I think he knows"-stuff, I just can't stand it.
In that moment, all he's doing as a leader especially given that Kunitz has had a rough go that year in the playoffs for his production and his game, is telling everyone that he knows and to just get his mind right.

Odd that its annoying.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

"Voicing your frustration" only matters when it can fix something or change a future outcome or its something you did yourself and you are pissed about. Nobody is more pissed or upset by the mistake than the guy who made it.

To say other guys on his team need to be able to voice their concerns rather than just let it go because he's already beating himself up over is a childish way of looking at it. It's not like he's constantly doing something annoying that no one is allowed to address and he doesn't realize he's doing.

If someone makes a mistake, realizes they made a mistake right there in the moment and feels terrible about it and you "get this pent up resentment" because you can't also tell him how pissed you are, that's on you.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Crosby is just the best.

Thanks for sharing, fantastic insight into how momentum/culture does or doesn’t happen.

I

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Fordy

May 28, 2008

yeah i don't think "voicing your frustrations" is the most important thing in when you're in the middle of the stanley cup finals

Reactions: Lshap

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I've often said, if every NHL coach came together and tried to create their idea of the perfect player, Crosby would be the result.

Beer leaguers - next time you give someone on your team shit, think about this clip.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

It was bad leadership for Crosby to not have called a time out to let that player process his emotions. He was clearly only at the Anger stage.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Cool but well south of “incredible leadership”

I was expecting something like when Kobe flattened Pau Gasol on a screen in the opening possession of the gold medal game. But maybe other people have different definitions of incredible

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I guess when you don’t score a goal and only contribute 3 assists in the Finals, some have to find a way to inflate Crosby’s impact with some mundane comments to teammates. Thank goodness his teammates picked up the slack.

Meanwhile McDavid gets roasted by some because he can’t score every single game.

Guess he should have yelled at his teammates louder.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Cool but well south of “incredible leadership”

I was expecting something like when Kobe flattened Pau Gasol on a screen in the opening possession of the gold medal game. But maybe other people have different definitions of incredible

Yeah this is just because people appreciate Crosby but nothing special.

Guy misses an open net

Crosby: It's ok shit happens

Hfboards: wow such leadership

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad