Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Cole Schneider or Cody Glass.
Schneider may be the best player for the Ads... but not on an NHL contract. :eek:

If it's just replacing McCarron, well, I would not rush Glass up for that (yet). Good that he's starting to heat up down there now. But I'd let him get a little toastier still. Maybe reward somebody else like Cole Smith or Luff just to spread some cheer and motivation around? :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
How has Glass looked in his time in Milwaukee? Has he improved in any aspects of the game? He's PPG so he's producing all right even though the Ads are struggling.

Bad: He doesn't win many faceoffs and he can't enter the O-zone. He needs to lift some weights!

Good: He is a good passer. That is a plus for a non-scoring center.

Reactions: Scoresberg

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Do they not have enough forwards to ice more than 11?

They have 13 forwards, this can help you: TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

That being said, the defense is stacked (in theory), and it appears Zach Solow did not play Sunday. He hasn't shown anything of use this season and was -3 in the Saturday night game. While the 19/20 Ads had insane depth, this year's team has ECHL quality prospects taking up the 3rd/4th lines. If this is a Brian Poile built team versus 19/20 being a Scott Nichol team, this would be very depressing for the future.

Cody Glass's stats are the most deceiving thing ever. Place him on a line with other players, pass the puck to someone who skates around and makes the play for the assist to the goal scorer, BOOM. Another Cody Glass assist for doing nothing. 5th on the team in shots attempted and no goals, yet when he does have a decent scoring opportunity, passes it away rather than taking the shot.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
If this is a Brian Poile built team versus 19/20 being a Scott Nichol team, this would be very depressing for the future.

Did I miss somewhere that it was announced that Brian Poile had anything to do with building the Admirals roster? Nichol was just promoted to Assistant GM for the Predators and would continue his responsibilities as Admirals GM and Director of Player Development. Not sure what this has to do with BP.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Admirals benefited in 2019 from the Predators being one of the oldest most experienced teams in the league. So we had no room for young players. Now, we're one of the youngest, and most of those young replacements were guys that were on the Ads. I mean most nights we're dressing Tolvanen, Novak, Tomasino, Olivia, Trenin, Carrier and Jeanot. All rookies or 2nd year players. If you promote 5-7 players of course you're going to feel it.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I really dont get the angst about the Admirals. This is exactly what happens with farm teams. Has there really ever been an AHL "dynasty" team?

I feel for Ads fans but the whole reason your team exists is to prepare prospects for the NHL. When you do that very well, you will suffer if they all leave en masse, which is what has happened.

Reactions: Armourboy

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I really dont get the angst about the Admirals. This is exactly what happens with farm teams. Has there really ever been an AHL "dynasty" team?

I feel for Ads fans but the whole reason your team exists is to prepare prospects for the NHL. When you do that very well, you will suffer if they all leave en masse, which is what has happened.
Times have changed but there used to be AHL teams that weren't controlled by the NHL team and didn't worry as much about developing the prospects. They would sign their own AHL level players and give them the ice time to focus on winning, that way they didn't have to worry about these ups and downs and still be able to sell tickets.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Times have changed but there used to be AHL teams that weren't controlled by the NHL team and didn't worry as much about developing the prospects. They would sign their own AHL level players and give them the ice time to focus on winning, that way they didn't have to worry about these ups and downs and still be able to sell tickets.
Still quite a lot of teams do sign a bunch of their own players. Milwaukee has 11 or 12 players signed to AHL deals, for example. There are a few teams out there with 15 or 16. So it's still a significant factor in the AHL.

Schneider and Donovan are probably the two most prominent ones. Labate and McClain have been regulars, and I thought Healey would have been. I guess they're also the ones on the hook for picking up Blujus and Bradley now too. So I guess that could be 12 guys now. McLaughlin, Bouchard, Carpenter, and Gahagen are in Florida now. Solow probably belongs there too?

Anyway, I don't think Milwaukee should be THAT bad. Hopefully Grimaldi won't just sulk there and can be a big addition. And if Richard gets back in action, he's should be a significant AHL player at this stage too.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Did I miss somewhere that it was announced that Brian Poile had anything to do with building the Admirals roster? Nichol was just promoted to Assistant GM for the Predators and would continue his responsibilities as Admirals GM and Director of Player Development. Not sure what this has to do with BP.

Thanks. I stand corrected... it seemed previously with Paul Fenton, wasn't he the assistant GM and handled the Admirals under the Assistant GM title. I see now they have 2 assistant GMs at the NHL level and Nichol is the Admirals GM? That seems like a new arrangement of titles from a couple years ago.

Give it time, but I expect we see Solow and Harper in the ECHL for extended periods by the time this season shakes out. Harper may be an ECHL stud, but he hasn't shown anything at the AHL level so far this year and number-wise seems the same last year.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Admirals signed Graham Knott to a PTO. Listed as a forward, but of note on his AHL bio: "Had best faceoff percentage in World Junior Championships (73.08%)"

The Admirals centers on the roster consist of:
Cody Glass
Mitch McLain (AHL contract)
Bobo Carpenter (AHL contract and already been in the ECHL this year)
Matt Bradley (PTO signed last week)
Graham Knott (PTO signed today)

Woof. Mitch McLain can win a faceoff, but he shouldn't be centering your second line and the argument shouldn't be "but development" for having a 27 year old AHL vet that's never averaged close to 0.5 PPG handling 2nd line duties.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Still quite a lot of teams do sign a bunch of their own players. Milwaukee has 11 or 12 players signed to AHL deals, for example. There are a few teams out there with 15 or 16. So it's still a significant factor in the AHL.

Schneider and Donovan are probably the two most prominent ones. Labate and McClain have been regulars, and I thought Healey would have been. I guess they're also the ones on the hook for picking up Blujus and Bradley now too. So I guess that could be 12 guys now. McLaughlin, Bouchard, Carpenter, and Gahagen are in Florida now. Solow probably belongs there too?

Anyway, I don't think Milwaukee should be THAT bad. Hopefully Grimaldi won't just sulk there and can be a big addition. And if Richard gets back in action, he's should be a significant AHL player at this stage too.
For sure they still need to have their own AHL contracted players but it is Scott Nichol signing those player and Karl Taylor handing out ice time and responsibilities. Scott Nichol and Karl Taylor answer to David Poile. It didn't used to be that way. I specifically remember that the Chicago Wolves were especially notorious for not developing the NHL partner prospects and just concentrating on winning. Young NHL prospects would play limited minutes and not get any special teams responsibility in favor of career AHL guys that might create a better out come that game rather than suffering loses because of inexperienced mistakes.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I bet they didn't really think Novak would stick with the Preds either. Or that Pitlick would be lost.

EDIT: And McCarron.

I'm not sure if Knott is really a center anymore. Or likely to be much of a savior of any sort, given his pedestrian ECHL numbers in recent years. :dunno:

Last edited:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Thanks. I stand corrected... it seemed previously with Paul Fenton, wasn't he the assistant GM and handled the Admirals under the Assistant GM title. I see now they have 2 assistant GMs at the NHL level and Nichol is the Admirals GM? That seems like a new arrangement of titles from a couple years ago.

Give it time, but I expect we see Solow and Harper in the ECHL for extended periods by the time this season shakes out. Harper may be an ECHL stud, but he hasn't shown anything at the AHL level so far this year and number-wise seems the same last year.
Ah, yeah, Nichol has been the Admirals GM for a few years now, looks like this is his forth season. His promotion to Assistant GM for the Preds is probably more title than anything else other than for sure giving him a direct line to Poile rather than reporting to someone else if that was the case before the promotion.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
I bet they didn't really think Novak would stick with the Preds either. Or that Pitlick would be lost.

EDIT: And McCarron.

I'm not sure if Knott is really a center anymore. Or likely to be much of a savior of any sort, given his pedestrian ECHL numbers in recent years. :dunno:

What makes you think that Knott isn't a center?

And I don't expect him to be a savior, but if he can win some faceoffs, its better than what they have now. Baby steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad