Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well hopefully some of the Glass issue is just him still recovering from injuries. Sometimes it takes a while to get all of that working.

I have no doubt based on some fan comments combined with the coaches comments that Vegas development wise did more harm than good.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Well hopefully some of the Glass issue is just him still recovering from injuries. Sometimes it takes a while to get all of that working.

I have no doubt based on some fan comments combined with the coaches comments that Vegas development wise did more harm than good.

Glass had a primary assist in last night's 6-1 loss at Chicago. Milwaukee scored at the end of the game, just like Friday. The goal was by LW Joseph LaBate (2) at 18:51 of the third period.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Interesting note from Poile on his weekly radio spot. He said they had Novak ahead of Glass after camp and preseason, much like many he mentioned, but they specifically wanted to "give him a longer run way" before sending him down, referring to Glass. He sounded very pleased with Novak and I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks in Nashville for the season if he maintains his play. He also seemed pleased with Fabbro early on and mentioned him and Ingram as 2 guys who made changes over the summer that have looked to pay dividends now.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I just came back from this Friday's game against Chicago. After 2 periods, the Admirals led 2-1.

Grant Mismash got to play and scored 2 goals. The first was on a goal mouth scramble. He was on the back side and flipped the puck over a prone Alex Lyon. He was assisted by McCarron and Afanasyev. McCarron was injured shortly afterward. The second goal was a stretch pass from Cody Glass where Mismash skated in and blew a shot past the goalie and into the net.

Then the third period came. Chicago scored 3 goals in 6 minutes. The first one was a 5 hole shot during a 5-on-3 PP on two BS ticky-tack calls by Ref Mike Sullivan. Just before the first call, no less than 4 Chicago players surrounded him during a TO and were lobbying for a call. He is spineless! Farrance hit somebody with a glove and was called for roughing. It was really stupid on his part. Since he was the worst of 7 Dman by far tonight, I hoped that having him in the box might help the team.

Cooley saw the shot coming and could not stop it. The next goal was on a screen shot past 2 Ads players. The last goal was on a shot that Cooley saw coming, flopped around and he missed it. I could have stopped by just standing there, but Cooley constantly moves and makes himself smaller than his 6'5" size. We need Ingram back!

The third period was a blight on the AHL. I have seen worse officiating, but rarely. At 19:40, Jalen Chatfield jumped Jeremy Davies in the southeast corner after the whistle and flipped him over helmet first into the ice. The call by Sullivan and the infamous ref Peter Tarnaris were double minors on both players for roughing. Davies got 3 or 4 punches in at best while he was assaulted for 20 seconds or so. Chatfield should have been ejected, but the refs were weak!

After the final horn, Stephan Noesen, goes after Matt Luff in the southwest corner. There were about 12 Wolves on the ice to the 6 Admirals skaters. The refs kept blowing their whistles and telling the Admirals not to come on the ice, but they did nothing to stop the fight or tell the excess Wolves to stay away. Gutless bastards! That goes for the Wolves and the refs. I saw 3 Wolves in the corner with Luff. Two more Admirals joined in to even up the odds. The linesman were sitting on their thumbs. It nearly ended up in a bench clearing brawl thanks to the unfair decisions of the refs. The final penalty total was 8 to 5 Milwaukee, but it could have been reversed, if the refs called the game fairly. Both players got 2 minutes for roughing. It was a bad joke, just like the rest of the period. The refs did nothing to protect the Admirals players during the game. Expect a fight night some time this season. I think that the only way this stops is the Admirals having about 7 fights in a game against Chicago.

Ref Ratings: Mike Sullivan gets a ZERO. Peter Tarnaris gets a 2 out of ten. Maybe these 2 refs should retire, hopefully tomorrow. Their lack of calls on Chicago emboldened them the entire game, especially in period 3, which kind of resembled the movie Slapshot. I really didn't like the Chicago player who hit Afanasyev in the knee after the whistle of course, in the middle of period 1. An Admiral was sent to the penalty box and no call was made against Chicago. More gutless officiating!

Linesman Tyler Gregory gets a 2. He threw 2 solid checks into Ads players during the game.
Jonathan Sladek gets a 4. He never knocked down any Admirals during play.

Goon of the Game: David Gust. He was always starting junk on the ice, usually after the whistle. (Notice a pattern by Chicago in this game?) He was never called for a penalty. Somebody needs to punch him in the face and repeat as necessary!

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Why is the officiating so bad?

Inconsistency. An Admiral hits a visiting player with a stick, it always seems to be a penalty whether it is over the head or a tap on the shin. A visiting player takes a two handed whack at an Admiral for no apparent reason and none of the four on ice officials seems to see it. By the time you get to the third period, the entire crowd gets surly. It is like pro wrestling, but this is for real.

Specifically, Referee Peter Tarnaris never seems to call the penalties fairly in the games that I have seen in person. I found a story about him from 2016. He officiated at that time in the ECHL and AHL. It says that he wants to ref in the NHL and that he is from a small town in Illinois. Five years later, he is still in the AHL.

I will allow the readers to draw their own conclusions.

AHL’s Peter Tarnaris Successfully Climbing Officiating Ladder

He isn't the only AHL ref that I dislike for the way he handles a game. He just stands out because it has been going on for years. I gave ref Mike Sullivan a lower rating than Tanaris. I have never seen him before and hope to never see him again.

As a person who doesn't believe in coincidences, McCarron got injured, but I didn't see how because he was headed back to the bench when the puck was on the other side of the ice. Afanasyev got hit in the knees near the same spot on the ice. I saw that one clearly. Both assisted on the go ahead goal.

Back in 1990, the Admirals had the same issue with another ref. It was the same story. In the middle of period 2, the Ads were facing a 5-on-3 for the second time. The Admirals coach protested, by yelling at the ref for an extended period and then throwing 6 or 7 sticks out onto the ice at one time in the general direction of the ref. He was ejected, which he should have been. The crowd rioted. There wasn't a patch of ice of 10 square feet that didn't have soda, popcorn or beer on it. (No nets in those days) People from Milwaukee don't usually throw beer unless there is a fire present. The game couldn't continue, so the teams were sent back to their dressing rooms. It took half an hour to clear the debris and resurface the ice so the second period could resume. After a 1 minute break, the teams changed ends to immediately begin period 3.

There was a story in the newspaper. I wrote a one page letter to the Commissioner of the IHL describing what I saw and enclosed a copy of the newspaper story which had a picture or two attached. That ref never worked another game in Milwaukee. It took 6 police officers to get him off the ice safely after the end of the game. They went out a different exit from usual. People from the crowd near that exit threw more debris at the ref. They didn't care about the police getting hit and their arm was pretty darn good.

I learned that the good refs get promoted to the NHL. The bad refs you get stuck with like a bad spouse. You may have to wait until they die or move away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Should be good for the Ads if Ingram comes back after the road trip... nice that he got a peek in the NHL meanwhile...

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Is anyone else concerned with Askarov's development path? I have no concerns of his actual development; I am talking about his weeks between games. Is this the norm for the Russian goaltender path?

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is anyone else concerned with Askarov's development path? I have no concerns of his actual development; I am talking about his weeks between games. Is this the norm for the Russian goaltender path?
I have no idea what his development routine is like over there, of course. I will say goalies get a lot more out of their non-game training then they do out of games. But it's still good to have some game action every once in a while to put the training into practice.

That said, a bit aside to the unknowable state of Askarov's development there... I wonder how much incentive a KHL team really has to develop a guy like Askarov? From their perspective, he's "just passing through". They put big money on getting the veteran Johansson to be #1, and though Samonov has started poorly, he has done well in the past and isn't thought to have any NHL potential. Or their guy Nikolayev in the VHL. Hometown guy playing well too. In a way, those are the goalies who they may be able to keep around in St.Petersburg for the team's success. Whereas if/when Askarov gets good enough... as a high NHL draft pick he presumably sails away. It's a tough situation, depending on how they choose to handle it.

Lots of good goalies have been coming out of Russia lately, some of the best in the NHL right now for sure. I wonder if that could be a trigger for any realization and change coming from that, in a way? Sorokin and Shesterkin stuck around a bit longer, but still left. It's not an enviable position to be in to know that if you help a guy get TOO good, then you immediately lose him. Meanwhile you've got a bunch of other guys who you might have a much better chance of keeping around...
:dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Why is the officiating so bad?

Ref Ratings:
Mike Sullivan was one of the refs again. After 10 minutes he had a 7 rating. By the end of the game he had a 1. Every 10 minutes of game time, he was worse than the previous 10 minutes. He became an awful ref.

Ref Carter Sandlak gets a 4 out of 10. He called a Penalty Shot in OT and Cole Smith put it home for the win.

Linesman William Hancock blocked the puck about 10 times in the game. He finally hopped one with 90 secs left. He also missed a puck played with a high stick in the Ads zone. It was 2 feet over the guy's shoulder! He gets a 1.

Linesman Thomas Lyle gets a 6. He actually paid attention to the game and blocked 1 puck late in the third period.

Milwaukee had 3 penalties called in the first half of period 1. The first 2 were legit. Glass tapped a guys skate and was called for slashing. It was really ticky-tack.

In period 3, Matt Luff was trying to jam the puck through Holm's pads. I never heard a whistle, then 4 Moose players push him away from the crease and shove him all the way into the SW corner. Luff gets 2 minutes for roughing and none of the Moose players was called for anything. They did the Let's Go Ads chant and nearly everybody around me was chanting Refs You Suck for about a minute. Mitch McLain was called for a ticky-tack tripping and it was 5-on-3. The Ads killed it off.

Dman Marc Del Gaizo jumped into a first period play and scored his first goal. Glass got him the puck in a classy move. Schneider and Glass had the assists less than 4 minutes into the game. Manitoba tied it near the end of period 2 on a screen shot past Ingram. Ingram was the #1 star and Smith was the #2 star. Moose goalie Arvid Holm was the #3 star.

Player of the Game: Dman Matt Tennyson threw 3 huge checks in the game. After the first one, he was cheap shotted on a blind side check in front of the Moose bench and there was no call! His next shift he nailed RW Kristain Reichel just inside the blue line with an open ice hit. Reichel went to the locker room and never returned. Tennyson got a lot of space on the ice after that hit. All three of his checks were both hard and legal hits.

Matt Donovan gets the Honorable Mention. He played a solid game and threw a couple of solid checks. Maybe he has been watching Healey, who was not in the line up tonight.

Farrance tried to be Bobby Orr tonight and he kept losing the puck. When he played his normal game, he played well. He needs to watch his stick handling and needs to pass more.

Dylan Blujus played his first game as a Dman tonight. He started the game and the second period with Davies. He played well. He should be in the line up more after this 2-1 OT win.

Goon of the Game: The Ads Joseph Labate. He boarded a Moose in the first 2 minutes. LW Jeff Malot did return to the game. I saw him on the ice in the second period. Two minutes into period 3, Labate ran over Moose goalie Arvid Holm behind the net on purpose. That started a fight with Center Nicholas Jones who was just beaten to a pulp by Labate. Jones' face was very red after the fight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Ads gutted out a hard fought 5-2 win over the Iowa Wild on Saturday night in front of 6500 fans.

Cole Schneider had a hat trick. Then he didn't, then he did again as the scoring was changed in the game.

Cody Glass had 3 assists. He didn't play on the top line tonight. McCarron took his place.

Milwaukee jumped out to a 2-0 in period 2 after the Wild had peppered Connor Ingram for 24 shots. Ingram looked like he was headed for 50 saves on the night, but only ended up with 40 as the Admirals offense came alive in period 3, scoring 3 goals including an ENG by former Wild player Mitch McLain. Iowa had tied the game at 2-2 late in period 2.

Ref Ratings: Jordan Deckard gets a 4 and Sean Fernandez gets a 5. They missed Connor Ingram getting hit in the face with a stick late in period 2. It knocked his mask askew and his stick ended up in the back of the net. Deckard was looking at it and did not blow the whistle.

In period 3, a Wild player took a slapshot to the face and collapsed on the ice. He ended up sliding next to the post and the ref blew the whistle 5 seconds later than I would have. Some of the fans, including this one, got on the ref for not protecting a player who was obviously injured and in a bad spot on the ice. When he got up, he had some choice words for the ref.

The big problem tonight was Linesman Tyler Gregory. He wouldn't drop the puck on faceoffs. One time, I counted 4 non-drops. Both Centers yelled at him after the 4th one. Typically, he had two non-drops per faceoff the whole game. He gets a 2 for being high on the annoying scale to fans and players.

Linesman Thomas Lyle did a great job and gets an nine. He had no puck dropping issues.

Both linesmen are the same size as McCarron. They are the Twin Towers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soundgarden

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Maybe I'll be proven wrong over the course of the season but I don't think this team is very good. They'll be okay of Ingram saves them like he did tonight but if he misses any time this team is going to free fall pretty quick. Cooley and Gahagen ain't it.

Reactions: cjerina

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Maybe I'll be proven wrong over the course of the season but I don't think this team is very good. They'll be okay of Ingram saves them like he did tonight but if he misses any time this team is going to free fall pretty quick. Cooley and Gahagen ain't it.

Kinda what youd expect losing Novak, Jeannot, Tomasino, Pitlick and Carrier essentially at once.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Cooley looked good in the preseason game against Chicago and plays well in the first period. He still negates his size by flopping down or balling up. It is strange to see a 6'5" goalie play like he is 5'8" Karl Goehring.

I have never seen Gahagen play a minute.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
FWIW the Wild did put Pitlick in the lineup for one game and then he immediately got put on the Covid list. Apparently he is just now eligible to come back so who knows what they do with him now.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I wonder if that affects the timing rules for waivers. As in, does the 30 day timer become paused while a player is in protocol.

That's what I was wondering. Because his 30 day window is closing.

Although if they try to send him down after 30 days I think he simply has to go through regular waivers and we could still get him, we just wouldnt have first dibs and presumably wed have to keep him up 30 days as well. I'm guessing hes gone one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad