• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I might need to update this along the way, but it seems from current players we have:

Silfverberg (Sweden)
Regenda (Slovakia)

Former players:

Rocco Grimaldi(?) (USA)
Henry Thrun (USA)
Nick Bonino (USA)

But the biggest thing is probably checking Fantilli (Canada) and Carlsson (Sweden) where one is most likely the next Anaheim Duck.

I wished to see a bit more Ducks players go and play but perhaps that was some sort of a collective decision? Not sure. But there will be some exciting young players from other teams like Gauthier and Hutson (USA), Quinn (Canada), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wait wtf, why are these split between Finland and Latvia lol.
It's becoming more common for World Championships to split between cities and countries. I guess it makes organizational and financial sense for them but I cannot tell the specifics. Perhaps harder to get locals to go to group-stage games but easier if the tournament is split.

The group stage is split with a group in each city, but playoffs will move to Tampere only.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Gonna see a few games in Latvia and will scout Fantilli against Switzerland next week Saturday. Will be a good tournament, but I guess it's Sweden's title to lose. They have the best roster this year ainec. (Sorry, Finland)

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Super excited to see Fantilli play in this tournament. Really felt he was coming to his own late in the World Juniors when given more ice time

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I heard they got good beer in Latvia ! Lithuania too.
Czechia is probably GOAT here, but we have some really decent variety, yes
Gonna see a few games in Latvia and will scout Fantilli against Switzerland next week Saturday. Will be a good tournament, but I guess it's Sweden's title to lose. They have the best roster this year ainec. (Sorry, Finland)
I'm going to see 3 Canadian games live, gonna be locked on #91

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It's becoming more common for World Championships to split between cities and countries. I guess it makes organizational and financial sense for them but I cannot tell the specifics. Perhaps harder to get locals to go to group-stage games but easier if the tournament is split.

The group stage is split with a group in each city, but playoffs will move to Tampere only.

Do you happen to know what size ice surface the tournament will be played on? I recall reading that a few years ago, IIHF had decided to play all WC on NHL size rinks, but unsure if that's still in effect. Surely would be more beneficial for evaluating Fantilli/Carlsson.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
How did Grimaldi not make the Ducks? much better than some of the crap put out there this season.
I’m assuming (hoping) because Pat was trying to lose for Bedard. Otherwise a lot of his decisions would be pretty suspect.

Considering how close it got at the end, clearly even one or two better players on the roster may have resulted in one or two more wins and we wouldn’t have gotten 32OA.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
I’m assuming (hoping) because Pat was trying to lose for Bedard. Otherwise a lot of his decisions would be pretty suspect.

Considering how close it got at the end, clearly even one or two better players on the roster may have resulted in one or two more wins and we wouldn’t have gotten 32OA.
There's no way he went into this season purposely trying to lose. Wouldn't of signed Strome, Vatrano and Klingberg if he was.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
There's no way he went into this season purposely trying to lose. Wouldn't have signed Strome, Vatrano and Klingberg if he was.
Klingberg was 100% signed to trade away. The one year deal, the unusual NTC, everything points to that being the primary reason, not to improve the team.

Strome and Vatrano are middle sixers. They are “let’s not bleed out in the first month” players, not “let’s go out and win” payers.

Our defense speaks volumes.

Edit: to your point, i don’t think he started the season with the intention of last overall, but i think it was decided very early in the season to let the team fall

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Klingberg was 100% signed to trade away. The one year deal, the unusual NTC, everything points to that being the primary reason, not to improve the team.

Strome and Vatrano are middle sixers. They are “let’s not bleed out in the first month” players, not “let’s go out and win” payers.

Our defense speaks volumes.

Edit: to your point, i don’t think he started the season with the intention of last overall, but i think it was decided very early in the season to let the team fall
Idk why you'd overpay for Strome to "not bleed out" but who knows what goes on in that mans head. Klingberg, Kulikov, Benoit, Shattenkirk, Drysdale and Fowler on paper are not "screw this season, we getting bedard" bad and Drysdale was looking like our best d before he got hurt, so maybe things would've been better if he stuck around. I feel like what the Blackhawks did is more of purposely trying to lose. Sold off almost everyone and only signed Domi (who was kind of their Klingberg)

Sadly the Ducks did bleed out in the first month and it was pretty clear that this was going to be a very long season. I think he did give up by around late OCT. Or hes a terrible talent evaluator and thought passing on Eeli Tolvanen and Vrana were good ideas.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Agreed, I think he read the team he had built wrong and then opted to do nothing to correct or even mitigate it, knowing he could lay a lot of it a Eakins's feet while taking a crack at Bedard.

Frankly that makes me a bit glad we didn't win the lottery, losing is what PV deserved. It just sucks that Chicago won.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Idk why you'd overpay for Strome to "not bleed out" but who knows what goes on in that mans head. Klingberg, Kulikov, Benoit, Shattenkirk, Drysdale and Fowler on paper are not "screw this season, we getting bedard" bad and Drysdale was looking like our best d before he got hurt, so maybe things would've been better if he stuck around. I feel like what the Blackhawks did is more of purposely trying to lose. Sold off almost everyone and only signed Domi (who was kind of their Klingberg)

Sadly the Ducks did bleed out in the first month and it was pretty clear that this was going to be a very long season. I think he did give up by around late OCT. Or hes a terrible talent evaluator and thought passing on Eeli Tolvanen and Vrana were good ideas.
Vrana was a special situation considering the Player Assistance Program factor, but not picking up Tolvanen signals to me that either A) the plan was to go for the best pick possible and build for the long term with Bedard, Fantilli, or Carlsson and not the short/medium term or B) Pat and all of our pro scouting team are bad at evaluating talent. It seems like you are leaning towards B, which is maybe where we disagree.
Agreed, I think he read the team he had built wrong and then opted to do nothing to correct or even mitigate it, knowing he could lay a lot of it a Eakins's feet while taking a crack at Bedard.

Frankly that makes me a bit glad we didn't win the lottery, losing is what PV deserved. It just sucks that Chicago won.
I do wonder how much losing Drysdale (and, to some extent Vaaks) could have played into the decision. As painful as it was as a fan, when I take a step back it seems like it was the right move though. I'm not a fan of half measures in any context, even sports.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Do you happen to know what size ice surface the tournament will be played on? I recall reading that a few years ago, IIHF had decided to play all WC on NHL size rinks, but unsure if that's still in effect. Surely would be more beneficial for evaluating Fantilli/Carlsson.

Looks like NHL size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad