OT: IHPS - Integrated Head Protection System...for Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Ceradyne IHPS Ballistic Helmet | WordlessTech

Ceradyne-IHPS-Ballistic-Helmet-1.jpg

So, hear me out. With the recent injury to Samurokov's Jaw, it brought memories back when Gagner Jaw was broken from Errant stick from then Canuck player Kassian way back when.
The cage helmets are ugly to wear and there have been tons of cases where players lower face are in danger to injury with lasting effects of those injuries.

SO, From the top, I linked a helmet the miltary was designing to protects the entire head using ceradyne.

And I just thought, why not integrate into hockey. War sucks, so let's use some of the technology for practical use. Like making sure Hockey players don't get their jaws broken.
You have sticks and pucks moving at 100 mphs and players love throwing themselves in front of pucks, that just seems like it would be the next step for the NHL to develop IHPS Helmet for NHLers.

I think the main thing would be developed is how the system will allow the players to breath effectively without no hindrance, or even maybe developed it in a way that it actually enhances how the player breaths when they play.
I just think that the players entire head should be protected. We are in 2021 and with type of technology that is out there, I have no doubt a futuristic hockey helmet that can protect a players entire head can be created.

Is there anything I'm missing?
What else would the helmet need to benefit the upfront players?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Yes, i want NHL hockey players to look like Halo characters or the FOX NHL robots from the 90s.:sarcasm:

That thing would be so hot to wear over 60 minutes of a hockey game it would be almost unbearable.

I also heard this thing fixes the issue you are describing.

images

lol, I would think that would be a win XD

I've seen those facemasks before, and yes, they get the job done. I was just thinking of creating something with a little more investment, and maybe with a improved aesthetic.

That is the thing about designing something new, is that you try of think of solutions to the problem of the design.

You look at the IHPS system, and your first thought it will be too hot. It can probably be simplified for sport.
This would take R&D and some real investments, but create a breathable helmet, with cutting edge material and technology.

Maybe integrate some aesthetic designs from Football helmets.
saliva-splash-guard-football-helmet-sportslogosnet.jpg

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I think the balance they are trying to manage is lower face vs neck injuries. That is the reason, as I understand it, why the full face shields are only allowed when returning from an jaw/mouth/face injury.

Not quite sure of all the research, since so many lower leagues require full face protection, why some of the more senior leagues consider it dangerous. Potentially the speed at which higher level hockey is played?

DutchBoy41

Nov 26, 2013
I think the balance they are trying to manage is lower face vs neck injuries. That is the reason, as I understand it, why the full face shields are only allowed when returning from an jaw/mouth/face injury.

Not quite sure of all the research, since so many lower leagues require full face protection, why some of the more senior leagues consider it dangerous. Potentially the speed at which higher level hockey is played?

When I played mens league, it was always the guys with the full cages that were the most careless with their sticks.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
When I played mens league, it was always the guys with the full cages that were the most careless with their sticks.

I think this supports Don Cherry's point that all of the protective gear on players today (with hard plastic outer) is making them injure others at a higher rate. It would be interesting to see how players would play with no helmets and simple foam pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad