Iginla vs Demidov

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I find it interesting that when it comes to the best available forward after Celebrini, the consensus seems to be that it's Demidov.

And yet I've yet to see a single person successfully argue that he's better than Iginla.

Perhaps Demidov has better hands than Iginla, but Iginla's hands are so good that it's hardly an advantage in Demidov's favor.

Everything else, Iginla is better at. He's a vastly superior scorer, he's more physical, he plays with more pro-like tendencies, he's more refined, better skater, his rate of improvement was staggeringly higher than Demidov throughout the season, and he's close to a full year younger.

Iginla is being groomed as a center next season and teams are now projecting him to play as one in the NHL, a position of higher value than wing.

Iginla is also doing all of this against vastly superior competition in the WHL.

Is this simply a case of the media getting locked into the placement of a player early in the season, and then refusing to budge once the evidence is against it? It's happened before.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean from a consensus standpoint among scouts it's not even particularly close. They all think Iginla is worth less

Reactions: 67 others

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Also, Iginla isn’t going to be a center. He’s not smart enough. He could do it but it would deminisb his offensive game

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I love the way Iginla plays. Hes made for playoff hockey as he plays with heart, grit and goes to the tough areas to score. He has a lethal shot and I think his playmaking is a little underrated

Reactions: Kevin Musto

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Also, Iginla isn’t going to be a center. He’s not smart enough. He could do it but it would deminisb his offensive game
He probably could play C in the NHL, but more of a 2C role, vs a 1C. He'd be a 1st line winger. Plus he brings the size element.

If you were a Buffalo, you'd probably take Iggy just because of the number of smaller skilled players they have up front. They would need the size. But, of the teams at the top, they need the skill.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He probably could play C in the NHL, but more of a 2C role, vs a 1C. He'd be a 1st line winger. Plus he brings the size element.

If you were a Buffalo, you'd probably take Iggy just because of the number of smaller skilled players they have up front. They would need the size. But, of the teams at the top, they need the skill.
I think Tij is more of a good 2nd line winger who functions primarily as a finisher, but also brings elements of physicality to the game. I just don’t see him create enough for his teammates to think he’s a first line guy.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs

What? It's kinda late in the game to turn into a centreman if you weren't even a dominant one in junior. Let's all be honest playing a bit of centre might help his overall game but anyone who thinks he can do that in the big show is bound to be disappointed.

In my humble opinion he's gonna be a very good winger, a very good second line winger. Also size? He's barely 6' tall and isn't the wrecking ball his dad was. So if you think he's a C version of his dad, you're in for a rude awakening.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I agree with a lot of your points. The margins here aren't huge either way.

I do think Demidov has the best offensive IQ in the draft class(of the likely 1st rounders anyway). Great vision and understanding of how to open up a defense at the seams. Better edgework too. I can see him being a great transporter of the puck and doing good work on zone entries, which is something NHL teams are always looking for. But yes ignoring that he has been doing it against some sub-par competition on a stacked team on big ice would be not seeing the whole picture.

Iginla does have some great pro qualities, all around his game took a massive step last year. Quality North-South forward, love his net drive and the way he invites contact to get inside. Got a slippery wrister as well just like his dad. I don't get the limited ceiling concerns some people have. Lots of top line forwards get it done by having simple straight forward games.

Last edited:
Reactions: dj Mahoney

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I agree with a lot of your points. The margins here aren't huge either way.

I do think Demidov has the best offensive IQ in the draft class. Great vision and understanding of how to open up a defense at the seams. Better edgework too. I can see him being a great transporter of the puck and doing good work on zone entries, which is something NHL teams are always looking for. But yes ignoring that he has been doing it against some sub-par competition on a stacked team on big ice would be not seeing the whole picture.

Iginla does have some great pro qualities, all around his game took a massive step last year. Quality North-South forward, love his net drive and the way he invites contact to get inside. Got a slippery wrister as well just like his dad. I don't get the limited ceiling concerns some people have. Lots of top line forwards get it done by having simple straight forward games.

Limited ceiling is relative, as his floor is so high.

He already plays an NHL type game. He's so protectable.

But he's no play driver, more of a complementary power winger.

Every contending team need this type of player.

It's just that he isn't in a vacuum, there's some more talented players in this draft.

But he's gonna be a solid pick, a can't miss one.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Iginla is a top 6 forward at his ceiling while Demidov is a star.

That being said, there’s risk involved. The floor of Iginla’s game is much higher and he has a great toolbag with a lot of stuff in it.

Scouts will want to risk it on the guy who becomes Panarin. Iginla is a safer pick IMO but lower ceiling.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Supporting evidence?
Lol……… lots of scouts back up what I said. Feel free to email all of them and ask them if you’d like. There’s no way you can prove an opinion but you already know that. What a dumb reply.

Why don’t you ask the scouts who have compiled rankings why Demidov is #2 in most of their projections?

Last edited:

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Where's the supporting evidence?

What makes Demidov's ceiling higher?

There's video of them online if you want to watch. You can disagree if you want but that's the general consensus of the two players.

Media opinions of players don't matter once you've seen enough of them. I've had plenty of opinions of players that aren't the same as the general perception they had.

The evidence will play out over the next few years. These are just projections based on what is available. We've seen scouts, media and fans be wrong about players all the time.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
There's video of them online if you want to watch. You can disagree if you want but that's the general consensus of the two players.
Haha I've watched them both plenty.

Lol……… lots of scouts back up what I said. Feel free to email all of them and ask them if you’d like. There’s no way you can prove an opinion but you already know that. What a dumb reply
It's not a dumb reply.

There's a lot of parroting going on.

You yourself can't even put it into words. You're not alone either.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Where's the supporting evidence?

What makes Demidov's ceiling higher?
Iginla’s style of play projects easier to the nhl, north-south power forward who plays an all around game with above average skill in every aspect and a great work ethic is more likely to translate to the NHL. Demidov on the other hand, is an insane puck handler who exemplifies the “puck on a string” saying. He is less likely to translate to the NHL simply because dipsy-doodling around opponents is much more difficult at the NHL level than Iginla’s game. This is why Demidov’s floor is lower because his game might not translate at all. Demidov’s ceiling is higher than Iginla’s however because if his game translates, he will be a game breaker with his deception, vision, and hands. It’s hard to articulate but basically Iginla is very good at things that probably translate, while Demidov is otherworldly good at a style that may or may not translate.

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Iginla imo is the safest bet to be an impact player among the top group in this class (bar Celebrini). I see something similar to what Matt Boldy is today

Demidov would scare me a bit high in the draft. The upside is off the charts, but the way he creates his offense doesn’t feel as projectable (mostly due to playing at a lower level than he should’ve been). I’d also have questions about the lower body strength. It severely limits his shot right now and it’s very difficult to be a high end producer without a shot that can consistently beat nhl goaltenders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad