If you were Carlyle, what would you do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Also if I were RC I'd resign after the season..it's been a complete embarrassment lately. I can't believe we've gone completely over the cliff after the Cali trip, that falls on the coach for the most part. I'll be shocked if he's back next season. Somebody has to pay the price.

Why exactly does that fall on the coach?

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
I like Carlyle, despite our current position, but he needs to stop the rinse/repeat cycle of dumb cliches he lists off during every interview.

We know they're tired and in the middle of a tough schedule. We know the team starts slow. We know they need to play better. We know they make mental mistakes.

What's he supposed to say?

Remember last week when he said our goalie was "okay"? That wasn't a cliché and look what happened.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Step down (resign) and avoid humiliating myself in the future *drops the mic*.

that would be worse, sounds like Dalton Mcguinty stepping down after all his mistakes, people haven't forgotten that. I know you were probably kidding.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
What's he supposed to say?

Remember last week when he said our goalie was "okay"? That wasn't a cliché and look what happened.

This BS excuse has to end, even i think it was bad communication, if i was carlyle i would say he ****ing sucks (truth) !! Reimer always play the same way, cold off the gates, gets better after the first period, nothing has changed, even after losing his starting job, he didn't question his way of preparing the game. that tells me that he is not ready or he doesn't want to be here anymore, its ok to feel that way but at least man up and finish the season as a pro :shakehead

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
This BS excuse has to end, even i think it was bad communication, if i was carlyle i would say he ****ing sucks (truth) !! Reimer always play the same way, cold off the gates, gets better after the first period, nothing has changed, even after losing his starting job, he didn't question his way of preparing the game. that tells me that he is not ready or he doesn't want to be here anymore, its ok to feel that way but at least man up and finish the season as a pro :shakehead

I do tend to agree that Reimer's mentality makes me scratch my head.

I mean it was all fine and dandy that he has this constant positive outlook and optimism when the team wasn't on thin ice.

But when we see games like we have over the past few and he shakes off any doubt that his play was sub-par by saying things like "I think I was good" or "I think I'm improving as a goaltender" instead of just acknowledging that he had a bad night (like several other players) it just makes me scratch my head.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The time to pull Reimer was after the first period on Saturday. Another 3 goal period with 2 softies.

You pull him there and see how Mac does. If he struggles you start Reimer in NJ, otherwise you ride Mac.

I fully expected that to happen.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Reshuffle the bottom 6 .. Bring up D'Amigo and Ashton who play like they'd give a damn and maybe bring some energy to the club

Remember with D'Amigo was called up and it gave a B shot into the arm of the line up (for a bit anyways) .. Maybe that's what this team needs now, a couple of fresh faces to get them going

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Isn't "nailing a player for pissing on the system" the perfect way to describe his handling of Kadri and Gardiner for like, ever?

Has it helped / changed anything?

Nailing them does nothing when you don't do the same to Kessel.

Kadri gets benched for something, then he watches Kessel do the same thing multiple times without getting benched. Not only does the message get muddied, but some players feel like they aren't treated fairly, and nothing causes players to tune out their coach like the perception of unfairness.

I'm OK with giving Kessel, as the one guy on the roster, the freedom to do what he wants - he can win us games on his own. Why suppress that?

His skill may win us some games, but the impact of letting him do what he wants loses us more.

TML FTW*

Nailing them does nothing when you don't do the same to Kessel.

Kadri gets benched for something, then he watches Kessel do the same thing multiple times without getting benched. Not only does the message get muddied, but some players feel like they aren't treated fairly, and nothing causes players to tune out their coach like the perception of unfairness.

His skill may win us some games, but the impact of letting him do what he wants loses us more.

Kadri's not close to the same league as Kessel. When Kadri's at Kessel's level and the coach benches him for a mistake then he can *****.

The guy who should be scratched altogether is Clarkson, for being a total waste of space on the team. That's the guy who the other players should be pissed about.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Scrap the 3 line **** he does. Scratch / Waive Orr, bring up Marlies for fourth line( If that's even possible )

Play Reimer until Bernier is back.

Watch as leaf nation scrambles to find a hitman to assassinate you, because their memories are worse than Goldfish.

Or maybe throw Macintyre in for the St. Louis game just to show that it isn't nearly as all of Reimer's fault as 98% of leaf nation likes to think.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
- I would put Gardiner and Rielly on the top powerplay pairing.
- I would ask my penalty killers to be more aggressive and cover the points.
- I would take more shots from the point in general.
- I would ask all my forwards to make the other goaltender as uncomfortable as possible. Get traffic in front, lightly bump him, jab at him after the whistle. THIS MEANS YOU CLARKSON.
- I would dress a more skilled 4th line. Bring up D'Amigo and Holland to give this team some energy/talent and prevent Orr from ever playing again. Bodie as 13th forward, even though he has played well lately.
- I would keep Ashton down on the Marlies. He is a complete non-factor.
- I would play this new 4th line more than 4 minutes per game.
- I would stop double-shifting our forwards by dressing 12F-6D.
- I would sit Franson for Ranger.
- I would start MacIntyre on Tuesday.

Like your list....

Agree with changing the PP D pairings.
Ashton to the Marlies again agree. He is an AHL player.
Stop with all the D pairs changing we need consistent pairings....even with only 6 he is mixing them up constantly.

PK .....I generally like the forwards work on the PK but not the D man....they allow players to stand in front of the nets far to much....they do not box out.

I agree that we need more players to the net....we lack net drive on the rush as well as net front presence most of the times.

I'm sold on Holland dressing and playing..

I disagree about Brodie, he should be played more and on his strong side...he hits hard and forechecks.

I would like to see our D man stand up at our blueline with support from our forwards behind them.

I would talk to the players about pride and accountability....

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Kadri's not close to the same league as Kessel. When Kadri's at Kessel's level and the coach benches him for a mistake then he can *****.

Great! You're ready to coach! Hockey Canada, here you come.

Coaching is about getting the best out of every player, and you don't do that by playing favorites. You don't even get the best out of the favorites that way...

The guy who should be scratched altogether is Clarkson, for being a total waste of space on the team. That's the guy who the other players should be pissed about.

Why would they be pissed about Clarkson playing 3rd line minutes? It's where he belongs right now.

I agree that Clarkson is playing like crap, but a lot of that has to do with confidence. He knows there are high expectations. He's not meeting them and it's getting to him. That's not a reason to dislike a player though.

Players can only control two aspects of their game - effort level and attitude. If they choose to work hard and be a good team player, how can you dislike them? If a they choose to be lazy and a poor team player, how can you like them?

mikebel111*

Get some energy into the club
Like ashton and Jerry. They have shown to be good and try every shift. And yes ashton is a nhl player. Sorry saying he isnt is wrong.

Get some intensity into the team!!

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Coaching is about getting the best out of every player, and you don't do that by playing favorites. You don't even get the best out of the favorites that way...

Why would they be pissed about Clarkson playing 3rd line minutes? It's where he belongs right now.

I agree that Clarkson is playing like crap, but a lot of that has to do with confidence. He knows there are high expectations. He's not meeting them and it's getting to him. That's not a reason to dislike a player though.

Players can only control two aspects of their game - effort level and attitude. If they choose to work hard and be a good team player, how can you dislike them? If a they choose to be lazy and a poor team player, how can you like them?

I laughed.

So Carlyle should bench our best player and top scorer but Clarkson's **** play is nbd becaues it has to do with his "confidence". Makes sense!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Isn't "nailing a player for pissing on the system" the perfect way to describe his handling of Kadri and Gardiner for like, ever?

Has it helped / changed anything?

I'm OK with giving Kessel, as the one guy on the roster, the freedom to do what he wants - he can win us games on his own. Why suppress that?

One team one set of rules....it is the only way it works....we Have Kessel who freelances on forward and Dion who freelances on D...we also have Lupul who has played horrible and gives the puck away far to much and who refuses to shoot the puck in the O zone and insists on carrying the puck in even on a 1 on 3.

Watch how many of our players who are not stopping and starting...and watch Bolland who if anyone had a reason not to do this, do exactly this....

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
1. play drew mac. it sucks for reimer but his head is all ****ed up right now and we cant let him work through things. we dont have time on our side. i honestly think the team will feel better with drew in net. we only need to hold on a little longer until bernier is back. i would rather not rush bernier though. if we keep losing bernier might want to come back before he is 100%.

2. play someone other then orr. if orr isnt fighting he doesnt have much utility. one of smith, ashton, or damigo would provide a much better option for the 4th line imo.

id roll;

jvr-bozak-kessel
lupul-kadri-kulemin
raymond-bolland-clarkson
ashton/damigo-mclemment-bodie

phaneuf-gunnarson
rielly-gardiner
gleason-franson

drew mac (until bernier is able to go).

TML FTW*

lol @ insisting Kessel should be benched while trying to justify Clarkson's **** play.

Carlyle's not "playing favourites". Kessel is consistently our best player, the only other contender being Bernier. Kessel doesn't need to be benched. Smh.

Kadri often does stupid things, not just defensively but in terms of taking idiotic penalties at the worst time. He and Kessel do not belong in the same category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad