IF Levshunov is available at #5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

take Levshunov?

• Yes take Levshunov and trade one of Reinbacher/Mailloux

• Yes take Levshunov and keep Reinbacher/Mailloux

• No, take Iginla or Catton (or another forward not named Demidov/Lindstrom)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
You have to consider that if you draft BPA and then are the one running after a trade, there is a considerable probability that you concede some value in the trade down the road.

That’s why for me the BPA talk is not a black and white thing. If there is a clear gap, sure. If the gap is small, then it can make sense to draft on needs.

I haven’t watch the players enough to know in this case, but from what I understand the gap isn’t that large between 2 to 10

Reactions: Barriwhite

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
you take the BPA and in that context, Iginla is not
If the BPA was a dman, I'd package up Reinbacher + Whatever to get another high first rounder if it was possible. Reinacher+Winnipeg's 1st + Harris or whatever for 11-15 and grabe Sennecke if he slips that far.

I'd also trade @Runner77 and @OldCraig71 to the Utah forum, for a new mouse or keyboard and improve this area immensely.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd rather a forward, but if Levshunov is available and they select him, then a Reibacher and Levshunov as your top two RD's in the line-up is a very enticing idea. Then they can move one of Barron or Mailloux with the idea the one you keep could round out your RD in the very near future.

They can then make a trade for a Top-6 NHL forward, which could be logical why they didn't select a forward. Similar to how they didn't take the center in Wright and took the winger in Slaf because they already had the deal to acquire the center in Dach.

There is a sequence of events that make you understand the roster building picks and trades they make.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I have a really hard time imagining Levshunov will still be there at #5.

But, if he's there, we should take him (unless Demidov or Lindstrom are still there) and continue building a very strong foundation at D. We should then be able to afford to take lots of swings at forward with the rest of our picks, and use some of our D assets as part of a trade for another young forward player/prospect for our roster.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind them going for any of the D even one of the LD that Hughes has already said won't happen. Having Guhle, Reinbacher, and Levshunov as your D core has the potential to be something really special and propel us to contention in a few years.

No matter the D chosen we would still have a couple years before having to make any trade decisions so it's not like you draft Lev and immediatly have to trade Mailloux. Though if Mailloux or Mailloux+ can get you near 10th OA then I'd very much be in favour of drafting Lev and then taking one of the leftover forwards near 10 like Catton or Helenius.

Having said all that, I'd also be fine passing on Levshunov at 5 and drafting say Iginla or Sennecke. At the end of the day no matter who we draft we are getting a great prospect with a ton of potential but they will take a few years before they can establish themselves in an important role at the NHL level. Going with a forward generally takes less time, and means we are banking on our existing D prospects reaching their potential which seems like a good bet. Going with a D means banking on Hughes making a major trade or FA signing at some point over the next couple of years.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Next year, we'll have another potentially great D fall to our lap and we'll debate whether to draft for need or BPA. And the wheel will keep on spinning.

We really have to improve our forward group, that's all I care about.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
This is probably Habs worse nightmare. We really need a elite forward prospect. We are good at D and Goalie. We really need help in the top 6. If Dach become a injure prone player, are rebuild will be longer. We are missing 2 elites top 6 forwards.
There is this new thing called trades that can be made in the NHL. If you are deep at one position you can then trade with another team and acquire players at another position.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
If the BPA was a dman, I'd package up Reinbacher + Whatever to get another high first rounder if it was possible. Reinacher+Winnipeg's 1st + Harris or whatever for 11-15 and grabe Sennecke if he slips that far.

I'd also trade @Runner77 and @OldCraig71 to the Utah forum, for a new mouse or keyboard and improve this area immensely.
What a brutal trade. Dear gawd. :facepalm:

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Lol....you dont take Reinbacher 5th overall with all those forwards available last draft and then the following draft take another D and trade Reinbacher.......thats just silly management.....Bergevin style.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Is this meant to be a joke or sarcasm?

From what basis would you assess Reinbacher's value to be that low?

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

Reinbacher + WPG 1st + Harris better get us a top-tier young forward in the NHL.

Or another top 5 pick in this draft.

Not a pick in the 11-15 range to grab Sennecke, like what?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There is this new thing called trades that can be made in the NHL. If you are deep at one position you can then trade with another team and acquire players at another position.
I have no idea why a fanbase that loves to watch Suzuki, Dach, Newhook play for their team cannot envision using our pool to make trades...I have no idea.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm pretty confident that Levshunov is who the front office keeps referring to when they say they're probably taking a forward unless they think there's a big gap on talent, I think they'd just pick him if that's who there.

I have to laugh at the posts in this thread about that somehow being a "nightmare" or some bad outcome. Oh no, we HAVE to take the top 3 talent ultra toolsy right shot D that tore up NCAA hockey as a draft year freshman, the horror!!!!!!

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm pretty confident that Levshunov is who the front office keeps referring to when they say they're probably taking a forward unless they think there's a big gap on talent, I think they'd just pick him if that's who there.

I have to laugh at the posts in this thread about that somehow being a "nightmare" or some bad outcome. Oh no, we HAVE to take the top 3 talent ultra toolsy right shot D that tore up NCAA hockey as a draft year freshman, the horror!!!!!!
Well said. If Levshunov is there and there is no 'gap' in the public and private evaluation, the Habs ought to take him. Hutson, Reinbacher, Levshunov is pretty damn cool to have.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

What's wrong with your old mouse and keyboard? Are they sticky to the touch? I wonder how that happened?

Is this meant to be a joke or sarcasm?

From what basis would you assess Reinbacher's value to be that low?
He's on glue, just keep scrolling.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you guys had the chance to draft the BPA or the WPA....what would you do?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad