If contracts didn't matter?

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
If contracts didn't matter who would be able to make the team based on performance at camp?

There are whipping boys who we don't like because of their contract, but that doesn't matter here. I just want the guys who played the best in camp and look like they care.

Patches Galchenyuk Gallagher
Sekac Pleks De La Rose
Andrighetto Eller Bournival
Weisse Malhotra Sorkin
Thomas DD Bowman

Emelin Subban
Markov Gilbert
Beaulieu Weaver
Tinordi Drewiske

Obviously we wouldn't normally take that many rookies, but everyone of these players looks NHL ready too me. Moen, Bourque, PAP haven't shown anything that makes me want them on the team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
67 - 60 - 49 - 22
27 - 51 - 14 - 20
26 - 11 - 8 - 25

76 - 77 - 43
79 - 28 - 74

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well you can't really come to a smart conclusion with that logic because veterans do not put nearly the same effort the kids do.

If contracts wouldn't matter, I would still pick the exact same roster.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Well you can't really come to a smart conclusion with that logic because veterans do not put nearly the same effort the kids do.

Exactly, kids like Latendresse managed to make the team 'cause he was giving it all each preseason game but then he had a hard time in the season...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Exactly, kids like Latendresse managed to make the team 'cause he was giving it all each preseason game but then he had a hard time in the season...

Contracts do matter and it sucks when stuck with a bad one.
Coaches have always been saddled with players The Front Office want them to play.
There aren't many who deserve a better fate in my mind.
You can never know until a vet is cornered like a rat.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Thread title should be 'if you're under the impression that all players are puting in max effort and intensity in the pre-season, what team would you select to slump to last place in the regular season?'

HardcoreHab

A Man With No Plan
Dec 15, 2005
Kingston, ON
I'd be more curious of what the team would look like from a historical perspective if contracts didn't exist. Would Gorges still be in the lineup if not for Subban's raise?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

Same here. And it's not just the camp effort level, it's also the sample size. The vets have the contracts they do because at least at some point they proved they should get those contracts. (Of course, there are exceptional cases of decline or bad contracts... we've had some in the past, but I don't think there are really good arguments against our current ones... Bourque and Moen would be worst probably).

The vets are tested over years of 82-game schedules at the NHL level. I think there is nothing that a pre-season snapshot alone does to displace them. You have to combine things... a vet who declined badly in the previous season _plus_ showed poorly in camp. A youngster who showed great performance and progression the previous season _plus_ showed well in camp.

Camp is just one step in the process. And not the most important one. So picking a roster purely based on training camp performances is pretty meaningless.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Good points, but I don't see guys like Eller, Pleks, Markov, Subban and their ilk dogging it just because the have contracts. They may not be going all out, but you can at least tell they want to lead by example. You can also tell by watching which of these kids don't look out of place and which veterans do. If MB is all about character, doesn't that character come in to play at times like this. You can't tell me our lineup wouldn't look better without Bourque floating down the wing and DLR mixing it up and creating pressure. We also all know it won't happen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If contracts didn't matter who would be able to make the team based on performance at camp?

There are whipping boys who we don't like because of their contract, but that doesn't matter here. I just want the guys who played the best in camp and look like they care.

Patches Galchenyuk Gallagher
Sekac Pleks De La Rose
Andrighetto Eller Bournival
Weisse Malhotra Sorkin
Thomas DD Bowman

Emelin Subban
Markov Gilbert
Beaulieu Weaver
Tinordi Drewiske

Obviously we wouldn't normally take that many rookies, but everyone of these players looks NHL ready too me. Moen, Bourque, PAP haven't shown anything that makes me want them on the team.

Galchenyuk hasn't been the best center in camp, not even close.

Plus, veteran who's spot is safe don't go all out because being healthy for game 1 is their priority.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven

Plus, veteran who's spot is safe don't go all out because being healthy for game 1 is their priority.

481px-Wat.jpeg

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I'd argue he was. It's not like any of the centers were lights out.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa

Plus, veteran who's spot is safe don't go all out because being healthy for game 1 is their priority.[/Q

He certainly was. He was electric at center. It's a real shame or sham that he has to play the wing again this year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'd argue he was. It's not like any of the centers were lights out.

Galchenyuk had a few flashes offensively, but he had some major breakdowns defensively. He proved he has am lot of talent but still needs a lot of work.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Plus, veteran who's spot is safe don't go all out because being healthy for game 1 is their priority.[/Q

He certainly was. He was electric at center. It's a real shame or sham that he has to play the wing again this year.

He was completely lost defensively. Against NHL rosters that will kill you.

Playing him at center would cut his ice time and delay his offensive development. He's better off playing 17-18 minutes on the wing than 10-12 minutes at center.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Not even close to?

Which one of DD, Plekanec, Eller, Malhotra or any of the kids that played center miles ahead of Galchenyuk?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not even close to?

Which one of DD, Plekanec, Eller, Malhotra or any of the kids that played center miles ahead of Galchenyuk?

DD and Plekanec were better, even Eller. Galchenyuk had one goal and was a minus player due to numerous huge breakdowns defensively. Putting up a few points and being horrible defensively doesn't make you a good center, not in today's NHL.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
If contracts didn't matter...

I'd sign Bouillon to a monster contract...!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk had a few flashes offensively, but he had some major breakdowns defensively. He proved he has am lot of talent but still needs a lot of work.

Then again, he played what, 2, 3 games at center? What did you expect? From what I saw, in a limited sample size, he showed me more than any of the other centers during pre-season. He's the one with the most upside and the one that can give us the most offense if put in a favorable position this season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

A veritable SHAME that Guy Lafleur, Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe played wing, total SHAM that Frank Mahovlich, Bobby Hull and Mike Bossy did, too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Then again, he played what, 2, 3 games at center? What did you expect? From what I saw, in a limited sample size, he showed me more than any of the other centers during pre-season. He's the one with the most upside and the one that can give us the most offense if put in a favorable position this season.

He will provide more offence as a top-6 winger than a 10-12 minute per game centreman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad