Player Discussion Ian Mitchell

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

When he went off to college at age 18, Ian Mitchell was understandably excited and eager to begin his NCAA career. A Western Canada kid, he chose the University of Denver over an offer to play for the Brandon Wheat Kings in the Western Hockey League, and the opportunity to play for coach Jim Montgomery was a main factor.

“Absolutely loved him — the best coach I ever had, without a doubt,” recalled Mitchell, who was acquired by the Bruins last month in the deal that sent Taylor Hall to the Blackhawks. “Hopefully I’ll have the chance to be reunited with him now. When I got the trade call, I couldn’t have been more excited. Great person. Great coach. I’ve got nothing but great things to say about what Monty’s meant to my career to this point.”

Mitchell, who this past week avoided salary arbitration by signing a one-year contract extension (one way, $775,000), played one season under Montgomery’s tutelage at Denver. Montgomery left after the 2017-18 season for his first crack at NHL coaching, hired as the Stars’ bench boss.

Mitchell, a 24-year-old right-shot defenseman, grew up in the small town of Calahoo, Alberta, some 45 minutes outside Edmonton. In April of Mitchell’s freshman year, three of his friends from home, all members of the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team, were among 16 on the team bus to die following a horrific highway accident in Saskatchewan.

Only 19 at the time, Mitchell lost his closest pal, right wing Logan Hunter, along with left wing Conner Lukan and goalie Parker Tobin.

“All of us from Alberta . . . and all grew up kind of playing together,” Mitchell recalled recently. “Just a terrible event.”

In order to help Mitchell deal with his grief, Montgomery and his wife, Emily, welcomed him into their home. It served to underscore Mitchell’s belief that Montgomery cared as much about his players as people as he did their being part of the team.

“Right after the crash happened, he invited me over to his house to stay there for a few days, just to get me out of the dorms and be around family,” Mitchell said. “I’ll never forget what that scene was like, and what he did for me in a very difficult time in my life. Off the ice . . . his support of me has been immeasurable.”

Montgomery, the NHL’s coach of the year for 2022-23, was aware that the front office had Mitchell on their radar in the days leading up to the Hall trade.

“I gave [general manager Don Sweeney] my thoughts,” said Montgomery. “I told him, ‘Yeah, I’d like to work with [Mitchell] again.’ ”

Montgomery’s thumbnail profile of Mitchell: “A high-character person, high hockey sense, high compete, and a real good skater . . . he’s going to fit in well with the Bruins culture. A smart, skilled defenseman who moves the puck really well. It might take him a while. I don’t know how long before he gets to Boston, but he’s going to be a good one for us.”

Drafted 57th overall in 2017, Mitchell played three seasons with the Pioneers before turning pro in the spring of 2020. He spent most of his first pro season on the varsity blue line, played sparingly his second season, then was back in Chicago full time last season, though was hindered by a wrist injury for the first two months. Coached by Luke Richardson, Mitchell spent most of his time at five-on-five and helped on the power play.

When training camp opens in Brighton on Sept. 20, Mitchell will be vying for time on the No. 3 defense pairing, which currently projects to have Derek Forbort on the left and veteran free agent pickup Kevin Shattenkirk on the right. Others in the mix include Jakub Zboril, Alec Regula (obtained in the same trade as Mitchell) and possibly ex-Harvard standout Reilly Walsh (acquired from New Jersey). No shortage of candidates.

Mitchell, 5 foot 11 inches and 193 pounds, figures his skating and puck-moving skills are his calling card. He trains summers in Denver, joined there by Bruin Brandon Carlo and other NHLers, including Denver alums Troy Terry, Scott Mayfield, and Will Butcher. He plans to pack up at the start of September for the move to Boston.

“Everyone tells me I’m going to love it,” Mitchell said, his prior visits here only brief. “I’m excited to get going.”

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I didn't read up much on either guy when they were traded to Boston. Poking around some different scouting reports this is what they have on Mitchell

Owns excellent wheels and plenty of all-around mobility from the back end. Moves the puck well and is a very good passer. Is also a smooth defender who keeps things simple. Has some leadership qualities, too. Does not have ideal size (5-11, 173 pounds) for the blueline position at the National Hockey League level, so he must add bulk and get physically stronger. Also needs to work on his lack of power with his point shot.

A smart, smooth skating, offensive defenseman has all the tools to be a future top four pairing.

His offensive ability, speed, and shot are all factors that stand out when he plays. He has a good 200 foot game that will likely improve as he goes, and can create plays for everyone around him by scanning the ice really well, thus speaking to his really strong hockey IQ.

Mitchell has drawn stylistic comparisons to Minnesota Wild defender Jared Spurgeon, while being praised for his ability to look comfortable no matter where he ends up

Maybe Monty can help him find the game he was playing while coaching him at Denver and Mitchell will become a solid piece for the Bruins blueline.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m just glad that article has him at 193 lbs, when I was seeing the 170’s thrown about I was yeeeeeeeshin’

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
He was just waived

Reactions: Blowfish

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He looked good tonight, probably best I’ve seen him play as a Bruin. He’s usually effective in transition moving his feet but tends to get lost in coverage at times and doesn’t have the physicality or reach to recover, he kept it to a minimum today.

Reactions: Five Hole and Ratty

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
and now my in-season player effectiveness grades go here while Mitchell is the only extra-credit-level dude dressing. here's that update:

HEI 90 - ZAC 75 - PAS 87
MAR 70 - COY 71 - DeB 84
van 80 - GEE 78 - FRE 74
LAU 47 - BEE 49 - STE 78
LIN 79 - McA 59
LOH 62 - CAR 97
WOT 70 - MIT 103
SWA 94
ULL 87

POI 83 - BRO 60* - LUC 51* - BOQ -39*
FOR 112 - SHA 63 - GRZ 56

so, my logical fix for righting the sinking ship is to cut dead weight from the forward group's port stern, despite the fights of Lauko and faceoff wins of Beecher, and depth-chart this fathermocker while resting McAvoy.

HEI POI PAS
van GEE DeB
MAR ZAC STE
MER COY FRE
FOR MIT
LIN CAR
WOT SHA
SWA
ULL

leaving Brown, Beecher, Lauko to fill in. does Lauko require waiver risk? so it goes, if so. after LTIRing McAvoy, he slots back pushing Mitchell to Shattenkirk's spot. then Lohrei probably goes in Wotherspoon's spot. Wotherspoon would sub in on either side of that third pairing as needed. Shattenkirk and Grzelcyk become casualties in this scenario, so packaging them quickly to a team needing defense in exchange for their "extra" (proper) right wing -- or a third dance partner's right wing -- is the task. I hereby remind readers that the Bruins only iced one right wing so far this season -- Pastrnak. (Steen is "officially" a center.) Merkulov would be the eleventh center to appear. he needs to appear. when the second line needs a second faceoff guy, DeBrusk (also trade bait) can swap spots with a fourth-line winger, as that fourth is all centers. management issues abound, but they don't look ready to make any of it better. tough days for the club.
honestly im lost

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I was hoping for more of what I saw in camp. He's okay -- just okay -- filling in.

Like Patrick Brown, he screams Don Sweeney.

Where's Lee Stempniak when you need him?
I am not a Mitchell fan . If he playing in your top 6 or 7 D ? Your D is not where it needs to be. He is so what the Bruins D do not need, but another D that is not physically capable or willing to do what you need to be as a bottom pairing D that is hard to play against.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am not a Mitchell fan . If he playing in your top 6 or 7 D ? Your D is not where it needs to be. He is so what the Bruins D do not need, but another D that is not physically capable or willing to do what you need to be as a bottom pairing D that is hard to play against.

Yet more vanilla.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I’ve seen enough too- he’s an AHL guy. The problem is, Bruins D depth which was once a strength is not so much now. He’s what we’ve got with Forbort and Gryz out, and Shattenkirk needing to rest the old engine periodically.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
why is this team tanking from first? waiving Mitchell now is crazy. not every team is stupid enough to let him slip through. it would have been smarter to reacclimate Grzelcyk as a forward of waive Shattenkirk or pick from several other roster-juggling moves. this means nearly nothing to a casual fan, but the message to the team is elitist and shortsighted. they hurt their culture by punishing success and rewarding mediocrity. I hate this because he has been fantastic and I can't fathom him clearing to report back. huge oof.
You’re completely overvaluing +\-. Mitchell has really struggled even playing sheltered minutes on the third line. Even Wotherspoon has been noticeably better and he hasn’t been all that good either.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
why is this team tanking from first? waiving Mitchell now is crazy. not every team is stupid enough to let him slip through. it would have been smarter to reacclimate Grzelcyk as a forward of waive Shattenkirk or pick from several other roster-juggling moves. this means nearly nothing to a casual fan, but the message to the team is elitist and shortsighted. they hurt their culture by punishing success and rewarding mediocrity. I hate this because he has been fantastic and I can't fathom him clearing to report back. huge oof.

Tanking?

Because they put Mitchell on waivers?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Mitchell cleared waivers FYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad