Post-Game Talk: Huge win by a tired bunch Tor 3:2 Fla

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yesterday was a huge win by the Leafs, as it would have been a big disappointment and hurt playoff chances with a loss, particularly after gaining 3 of 4 points from the Bruins.

Lupul has been a real motivating factor in Leafs recent performances carry the team along with Kadri forward. Lupul's recent heroics is a little reminiscent of how Gary Roberts once admirably lifted up and carried the team on his shoulders when they needed it.

Yeah, Lupul's playing like he wants to be a Leaf great. Good to see someone with that kind of ambition and drive embracing being a Toronto Maple Leaf.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
So its Bozak this week who gets thrown under the bus. Who will we talk about next week?

Some of you people just need to chill. He's a decent player playing top line minutes most nights even though he is not a top line player. That is not his fault. Randy plays him up there!!!

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It really boggles my mind why some people bask in the opportunity to breakdown every single one of Phaneuf's mistakes on the ice to try and explain in great detail why he's had a horrible game. In case you haven't noticed, the guy is playing ridiculous minutes in a compact season all the while rotating with rookie D partners (and we're not talking about highly touted rookies either) and when he doesn't have a rookie alongside him, he gets to play with a guy who's playing with a nagging hip injury. But please carry on talking as though Phaneuf is some sort of messiah who isn't living up to expectations.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
It really boggles my mind why some people bask in the opportunity to breakdown every single one of Phaneuf's mistakes on the ice to try and explain in great detail why he's had a horrible game. In case you haven't noticed, the guy is playing ridiculous minutes in a compact season all the while rotating with rookie D partners (and we're not talking about highly touted rookies either) and when he doesn't have a rookie alongside him, he gets to play with a guy who's playing with a nagging hip injury. But please carry on talking as though Phaneuf is some sort of messiah who isn't living up to expectations.

Defending him to the death!

At 3 million, who cares, but, at 6.5 million he needs to be much better no matter how many minutes he plays!

He plays big minutes because management needs him to EARN his pay cheque!

He makes almost as many brain farts as Holzer did, and, we all saw how he was shiit on around these parts. Just compare their respective salaries.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Quoted for truth.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

We'll really see Phaneufs worth when he is finally paired with a competent partner, something he has never had in his time here.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
We'll really see Phaneufs worth when he is finally paired with a competent partner, something he has never had in his time here.

When in Calgary he was paired with a solid partner in Regher and his play was pretty good.

He does require a better partner than a rookie provide him with a vet to play with and watch people will be talking less about his mistakes or bad games.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

At 3 million, who cares, but, at 6.5 million he needs to be much better no matter how many minutes he plays!

He makes almost as many brain farts as Holzer did, and, we all saw how he was shiit on around these parts. Just compare their respective salaries.

What don't you understand about playing TOO MANY MINUTES with UNQUALIFIED PARTNERS.

It's one thing to ask him to play 28 minutes alongside Dan Hamhuis or Ryan Suter, or 22 minutes paired with fresh NHL blood .. but to do both?

Name me another defenseman who has been able to succeed under this criteria?

The only player that I can think of is Ryan Suter who has been paired with a rookie defenseman in Jonas Brodin, who has been a defensive stud in his own right. Every other top defenseman is given the privilege of playing alongside another veteran or top defenseman.

Mike Kostka? Korbinian Holzer?

These guys are not ready for top pairing responsibilities and can barely keep up with the top opposition, let alone contribute in a positive manner.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
He could've been a first pairing D-man under Carlyle for us in Toronto than in Anaheim now that Carlyle is Leafs coach. He thrives under Carlyle. Carlyle said something like "There was something wrong with his mind when he returned to Anaheim. He (Carlyle) had to fix him."

And as good as Lupul is, we still need a first pairing D-man.

There is no world where I would undo that trade.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Ofcourse not, Doesn't mean Beauchemin isnt a quality defenseman.

19 points in 32 games and leading the 3rd place team in the NHL in ice time.

Seems like both sides are pretty happy with the trade, there doesn't always have to be a winner and a loser to trades.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

What at a stupid thing to say considering I hardly have a history of making it my business to defend Phaneuf. He plays big minutes because he's the most reliable and experienced D man we have who can be used in all sorts of situations. He's prone to mistakes JUST LIKE ANY OTHER D MAN IN THE LEAGUE. Those mistakes are likely to increase when paired with an inexperienced player who is making many mistakes as part of his learning curve. If you haven't noticed that many of Holzer's and Kostka's mistakes handicapped Phaneuf in many situation then I'm not sure what Leafs games you've been watching.

Unlike you, I'm not looking to place blame on any particular player because I'm able to apply common sense and look at the situation with some perspective. In good conscious, I can't look at a guy who is playing a ton of minutes in a crazy condensed schedule while having a revolving door of rookie/injured players to play with and get mad at him because he makes mistakes. The situation he's put in would suggest that mistakes will certainly happen. Similarily, I can't get mad at two guys who are getting their first taste of NHL action and being thrust into a role due to circumstance rather than properly being sheltered where the mistakes they make as part of their learning curve can be somewhat hidden rather than fully exposed.

Perspective is a nice thing. I'd highly recommend using it from time to time.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The point was to say that Bozak sucked before Lupul joined the line. Apparently, Lupul did too.

Succinct or shall I say touche.

But obcourse Grabo had one of his best games last night, tells you his minimal impact on this team when we were losing despite he was having a "great game" and until Bozak/Kessel added 2 assists to Lupul's 2 goals, THEN we won the game. That's impact and it only took them 1 period.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Actually..... It is all about Lupul.

And it is all that simple,we would have won games this year with him.It is like that.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
At some point enough is enough. Going on about one player constantly is not a hockey discussion it is a constant annoying whining sound in the foreground. Ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad