How would've the Red Wings of 1999 fared against Dallas and then Buffalo if they got there?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
The ‘01 Wings had roughly the same roster AND a healthy Osgood and still managed to blow a 2-0 series lead against the 7th seeded Kings.

Man, some of you are really looking at Osgood with those rose-colored glasses.

OT: Dallas beats Detroit regardless of the Wings’ goaltender. They were the best team in the league throughout that entire season.

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
The ‘01 Wings had roughly the same roster AND a healthy Osgood and still managed to blow a 2-0 series lead against the 7th seeded Kings.

Man, some of you are really looking at Osgood with those rose-colored glasses.

OT: Dallas beats Detroit regardless of the Wings’ goaltender. They were the best team in the league throughout that entire season.

It isn't so much Osgood being that good (at least for me I will grant you that some Wings fans think the world of Ozzie lol) as it is Ranford sucking so bad.

Wings in 2001 had Yzerman for less than a period late in game one and Shanahan out after game one and an attempted comeback later in the series and couldn't go so it isn't that surprising that they lost four straight, hardly the same roster without those two.

Detroit just seemed to matchup well against Dallas, Dallas played like Detroit except the Wings had two superstar centers to their one, sure 1998 was different than 1999 with healthy Nieuwendyk and the great Brett Hull and I hardly think a healthy Wings team smokes them or something, just that they have a good chance.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Maybe this is the year Dallas would beat Detroit too like they did with Colorado in 1999 and 2000. The Wings were gunning for three in a row and I think they were in the situation where someone had to prove they could beat them rather than the Wings needing to prove anything. Colorado did that in 1999, but would it have been the same with Dallas? I think that Stars team in 1999 was driven for the Cup. They aren't as deep of a team as Detroit but that team was simply built for the postseason grind and if there was ever a team built for that era of Cup winning it was Dallas in 1999. Just playoff ready is how I would call them. A heavy team to play against, timely goal scoring, etc. Great defense, a HHOF goalie. A coach that had success.

I am not sure if Detroit beats Dallas. But is there anyone that thinks they don't beat Buffalo? I think whether it was Dallas, Colorado or Detroit the idea was that Buffalo gets the same fate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad