How much of the playoffs do you watch when your own team is eliminated?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How much of the playoffs do you watch when your team is eliminated?

• Total voters

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm genuinely shocked that people on a hockey board don't like watching hockey. Its a wake up call for me , to think I debate with some of these people and they don't even watch lol

Well some people need to be emotionally invested in order to really spend time to watch the games. After the Leafs are out, I switch to watching more Jays because I am emotionally invested in them. If that makes sense. It’s not that “I don’t like hockey” or anything like that. People also have some other shit going on and they can’t spend time watching games after their team is out. I caught a few games here and there, but I am not going to sit down and watch full games that don’t involve Toronto.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Yup. It's why the main boards are best, interacting with other fanbases at least somewhat keeps things grounded in reality.
Which is why I stick to the main boards, honestly.
Team boards end up being too much of a closed system.

Should have had an option…

I will watch as many games as I can, jump on the bandwagon of the team I like best of the remaining teams and actively cheer against some other teams I really dislike.
I usually end up choosing who to cheer against more than who to choose who to cheer for, really.

Vegas-Colorado was rough: do I dislike Dadonov or Drouin more ?
(Lehkonen is cool, he played his heart out in Montreal, I bear him no ill will)

------------------

I'd add: when my team is in the playoffs, I usually skip the next round after their elimination, and then get back into it a bit later, and if they're still around cheer against the team that eliminated them. (ie, if my Habs are taken out in the 1st, I skip the 2nd round, and watch 3d and 4th rounds)

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I normally watch hockey just whenever I have nothing else on the go that night. I'm a Leafs fan, but I miss a ton of regular season Toronto games because I have a pretty full schedule. But if I have the time, I'll happily watch LA vs Anaheim late at night if that's who is playing.

For the playoffs, its a bit different. I'll watch all of the Leafs games in round 1. Then, when they're inevitably eliminated, I lose interest until the Cup final. I'll try to watch all of a Cup final though. That's the part worth remembering.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I try to watch as many as I can. But, I won't organize my day around it. When the Habs were in the final a couple of years ago, it was obsession level for me.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
As one of the foremost experts on having your team get eliminated from the playoffs, it really depends on the year, the other teams and players, what else I have going on in my life, and just how I'm feeling on any given night that playoff games are on.

This year the Wild weren't in it, but I watched very little outside of the Edmonton/Vancouver series.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'm a Flyers fan who will not watch any Flyer playoff games because I become ridiculously angry.

Of course, this hasn't been a problem for years and I don't see it being a problem for many years to come based on the fact they won't be making the playoffs for a while.

So I watch tons of games without the Flyers because I am much less stressed.

Reactions: JoeMc

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
It's summer time. Even when the Habs are not eliminated, I rather be outdoors playing baseball, tennis, etc... I'll watch full games occasionally when it's raining. I will watch the recaps late night.

• Haha
Reactions: JoeMc

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
I keep an eye on who wins games but watching no. The only time I watched another team in the playoffs was the Sens when they made there run to the finals.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I care a lot in the 1st and 2nd rounds and then usually drop off if I can't love/hate watch a team who makes it all the way to the SCF's. This year with the Oilers it's been easy to stay into it, haven't missed an Oilers game all playoffs or a Panthers game since round 2.

Ratbath

Jul 3, 2019
there’s a direct inverse correlation between how good my team was that year and how much playoffs I watch after they’re out. If we sucked I watch a ton. if we made the WCF I might watch one game of the finals depending on the teams

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think any of these options really accurately describes my watching habits.

If the Canucks aren't in it, or are eliminated...my watching tends to just mirror my regular season watching. Which is...a lot of random other team games of convenience, but particularly games with teams that have a lot of players i enjoy watching, or play a system that i find entertaining and fun to watch.

The playoffs often throw a wrench in that, as the later rounds often have most of the best, more exciting matchups out of the way already...and if it's a team or pair of teams that don't have a lot of players i like, or plays a style that isn't very fun to watch...it's harder to bother. Though i guess i still tend to end up watching almost every game. I just watch a lot less intently. Sometimes it's basically even just background noise to something else.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
After Sharks stopped making the playoffs after 2019 I've actually payed more attention to the playoffs as a whole. Prior to that, after Sharks were eliminated, I lost interest completely due to the heartbreak. I suppose if and when Sharks make the playoffs the next time I'm probably able to keep interest up when they are out. :laugh:

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'll watch bits of the games here and there but I'll usually be multitasking. So I don't really watch them in their entirety.

However, more often than not when the games are tied near the end of the period or go into OT, they have my full attention.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As a Blackhawks fan my team was eliminated in October, but ive watched a many playoff games as I can.

I usually end to watch more in the last two rounds (easier to keep track of, plus there's game every other night if not every night instead of 4 or 5 teams playing every night)

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Unless I'm emotionally devastated I'll watch all the playoff hockey I can. The off-season is brutal to sit through so I'll watch all the hockey I can get.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If there's another team still in the playoffs that's REALLY fun to watch, I'll keep watching.
But usually I'll stop watching after my team gets knocked out.
I think it would be easier to be interested in watching every single team if the officiating was better. (Better officiating = more offense = more fun IMO)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
After Sharks stopped making the playoffs after 2019 I've actually payed more attention to the playoffs as a whole. Prior to that, after Sharks were eliminated, I lost interest completely due to the heartbreak. I suppose if and when Sharks make the playoffs the next time I'm probably able to keep interest up when they are out. :laugh:
You guys are true NHL fans.

• Wow
Reactions: Shark Finn

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll catch parts of games now and then, but I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched an entire NHL game that wasn't the Rangers.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad