How Many 40 Year Olds...?

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Recent Jagr signing and what I consider to be unrealistic expectations that he will score at nearly a PPG pace have led me to question the effectiveness of 40 year olds in the NHL.

The question and challenge is to create a list of all NHL players who scored at a PPG pace (or VERY close to it) who were at least 40 years old by the time that season finished.

If someone knows of a website where it is easy to find this information please point me in the right direction also.

I'll start:

Teemu Selanne
Gordie Howe

Feel free to add.

Adam Oates :: 80g 78p age 39
Jean Beliveau :: 70g 76p age 39
John Bucyk :: 77g 83p age 40

HM's:

Brett Hull :: 81g 68p age 39

Last edited:

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Brett Hull scored 25 goals and 68 points in 81 games with the Wings as a 39 year old and 37 goals and 76 points in 82 games the previous season.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Here is a list of players aged 39-46 (based on Feb 1 of a season) who scored at more than .8 clip during a season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=goals

A .9 rate would be in the low 70's, not sure if Jagr has enough left in the tank to get more than 65 but he will sure get the playing time.

My guess is that he ends up with 60-65 points but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets in the mid 70's. a good start is important fro him though as the season progresses his production will drop a bit IMO if ever so slightly.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Thanks for finding this. I was having trouble looking up stats from memory player by player.

I agree it will be interesting to see if Jagr can join this list. I am cautiously optimistic. A lot of different scenarios could happen.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
(...) My guess is that he ends up with 60-65 points but I also wouldn't be surprised if he gets in the mid 70's. a good start is important fro him though as the season progresses his production will drop a bit IMO if ever so slightly.

Lidström scored 62 points after a very good start last season. Jagr should try to match this production, overtaking Selänne's 2010/2011 season seems unlikely to me, as well.

Gruß,
BSHH

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Here's a piece from Hockey Prospectus on Jagr. Based on his KHL stats, and historical data from players whose career curve is similar to Jagr's (e.g. Marcel Dionne), it projects around 70 points from Jagr, assuming no injuries that shorten his season.

http://www.puckprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1008

"We can answer this question by applying KHL-to-NHL league translations, a concept first explained in great detail in Hockey Prospectus 2010-11. Using players who have previously made the jump, like Alexander Semin, Evgeni Malkin and, more recently, Nikolay Zherdev and Jiri Hudler, we can calculate how much of a player's scoring is statistically likely to drop off due to the increased competition and potentially reduced ice time in the NHL. "

They are comparing developing players to a players who's regressing...

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
"We can answer this question by applying KHL-to-NHL league translations, a concept first explained in great detail in Hockey Prospectus 2010-11. Using players who have previously made the jump, like Alexander Semin, Evgeni Malkin and, more recently, Nikolay Zherdev and Jiri Hudler, we can calculate how much of a player's scoring is statistically likely to drop off due to the increased competition and potentially reduced ice time in the NHL. "

They are comparing developing players to a players who's regressing...

I am pretty sure the study goes both ways, as in, players who went from the NHL to the KHL (most of them would be players in decline or in their primes... which, at this case, I'd argue Zherdev and Hudler are too)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I am pretty sure the study goes both ways, as in, players who went from the NHL to the KHL (most of them would be players in decline or in their primes... which, at this case, I'd argue Zherdev and Hudler are too)

Exactly - I can assure everyone that the VUKOTA developers have taken that into consideration. Iain will likely see this and elaborate at some point.

livewell68

Jul 20, 2007
What's not taken into consideration here is that certain players are more built for the KHL and some for the NHL.

The KHL is a larger ice surface and Jagr's game is more suited for the smaller ice due to his impressive puck protection and cycling skills.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
What's not taken into consideration here is that certain players are more built for the KHL and some for the NHL.

The KHL is a larger ice surface and Jagr's game is more suited for the smaller ice due to his impressive puck protection and cycling skills.

True ^

Just like if you were to try to translate a player's junior or farm team numbers into NHL numbers. It's impossible, since you cannot come up with an equation to figure out how any player will adjust to a different game.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Just like if you were to try to translate a player's junior or farm team numbers into NHL numbers. It's impossible, since you cannot come up with an equation to figure out how any player will adjust to a different game.

Actually, people have had very good success doing exactly this.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Actually, people have had very good success doing exactly this.

But I'm sure there are hundreds of cases where a player coming from one league who's numbers are higher then the next guy's numbers goes in the opposite direction once they hit the bigs. Whether it be coming from juniors, Europe, or the farm.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
But I'm sure there are hundreds of cases where a player coming from one league who's numbers are higher then the next guy's numbers goes in the opposite direction once they hit the bigs. Whether it be coming from juniors, Europe, or the farm.

And there's hundreds of cases where a player's statistics jump up (or down) in year two over year one even though they were in the same league both seasons.

No one's saying that this stuff is easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad