How is Mactavish still employed ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Can some one please explain how this guy has a job ? Letting Petry go for nothing Signing Gagner to a 4.8 million per year contract and now this player gets 0 offers as a ufa. Nikitin nightmare Ference Nightmare spending the summer chasing Clarkson at outrageous term and salary. Demanding a extra year for Fayne on his contract. Drafting players on bathroom meetings. Calling Schultz a future Norris trophy winner. On and on and on. Complete joke he is still employed with this team.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Can some one please explain how this guy has a job ? Letting Petry go for nothing Signing Gagner to a 4.8 million per year contract and now this player gets 0 offers as a ufa. Nikitin nightmare Ference Nightmare spending the summer chasing Clarkson at outrageous term and salary. Demanding a extra year for Fayne on his contract. Drafting players on bathroom meetings. Calling Schultz a future Norris trophy winner. On and on and on. Complete joke he is still employed with this team.

Signing the CORE to $6million each which not one of them is still worth it today!

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Mactavish did the job he was hired to do which is to get us high picks until the arena was ready while making it look like it was incompetence.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We hired Chiarelli to be in charge of the team, he's a veteran GM with more knowledge of hockey and the behind the scenes particulars than any of us have. He's decided to keep MacT around for whatever reason. Maybe MacT's a bad GM but okay as an assistant GM

And you forgot about MacT's love affair with Eakins VainGretzky. I was hopeful about MacT as GM but he was a total failure.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
We hired Chiarelli to be in charge of the team, he's a veteran GM with more knowledge of hockey and the behind the scenes particulars than any of us have. He's decided to keep MacT around for whatever reason. Maybe MacT's a bad GM but okay as an assistant GM

And you forgot about MacT's love affair with Eakins VainGretzky. I was hopeful about MacT as GM but he was a total failure.
Every time that name is brought up I grind my teeth why I try to forget.

Helistin

Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Tambellini was just a placeholder.

Sl2JOZP.gif

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
And on Eakins it was how he was so impressed how Eakins team was ready for a faceoff in the AHL that sold him being a head coach in the NHL.:laugh::(

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Sometimes I think back and am stunned at the amount of damage MacT did in only 2 years. I don't think I could have been that bad if I tried.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Sometimes I think back and am stunned at the amount of damage MacT did in only 2 years. I don't think I could have been that bad if I tried.

Anxiously waiting for IATL to give his thorough analysis on the subject:nod:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Friendship with the owner, knowledge that he will never get a job anywhere else in the NHL without help from Lowe, a complete lack of self respect in order to willingly take a humiliating demotion after his abject failure in the head job, and strong sycophantic abilities to reintegrate into the incoming regime to the point he's pretty much Chia's right hand man.

That should pretty much cover most of the reasons why he's still employed.

Mactavish did the job he was hired to do which is to get us high picks until the arena was ready while making it look like it was incompetence.

The team looked like it was on the upswing before Mact was hired, and he was quite clearly brought in to brought in to reap the glories of the expected incoming success. It's reflected in his signings(all big money/win now type deals), and his quick demotion once the full measure of his inability was known(which is unusual for the Oilers, suggesting the plan was to win, not wallow).

It was straight up incompetence, saying they were intending to make it look like incompetence would be giving them waaaay too much credit.

Vanqu1sh

Feb 28, 2013
Edmonton
Pretty amazing how bad he was. Did he do anything good?

He's still around cause Oilers.

I really don't worry about it though, everything that has been going on is in the opposite direction of Mact, he doesn't make any decisions.

He obviously still does some stuff, but who even knows maybe he's decent at it. Whether he's there or not in his current capacity I'm really not sure makes a huge difference.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
MacT gets to much **** after gagners lockout season all most all of us would have signed him to a deal in the 4-5m range,Nikitin was stupid as hell but Howson was definitely vouching for him,Ference almost everyone was wanting to bring him here and we're plugging him into there lineup,Chasing Clarkson was 100% stupid at the dollar point he was looking for the team was always looking for the Lucic type player and got caught up in it. When Fayne came from Jersey I would had wanted an extra year also Fayne let the team down and is a better player than what he showed here to this point.
He did not Draft Nurse because he saw his grandfather in the bathroom they were targeting him all along, and at the draft interview he's said he had a good feeling that the player would still be there when he selected, Schultz being a Norris candidate was really bad but most fans were saying that about him when he signed he so I don't think everyone should act like Schultz was the only one.

You also failed to mention his biggest mistake which was firing Krueger and replacing him with Eakins.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
MacT gets to much **** after gagners lockout season all most all of us would have signed him to a deal in the 4-5m range,Nikitin was stupid as hell but Howson was definitely vouching for him,Ference almost everyone was wanting to bring him here and we're plugging him into there lineup,Chasing Clarkson was 100% stupid at the dollar point he was looking for the team was always looking for the Lucic type player and got caught up in it. When Fayne came from Jersey I would had wanted an extra year also Fayne let the team down and is a better player than what he showed here to this point.
He did not Draft Nurse because he saw his grandfather in the bathroom they were targeting him all along, and at the draft interview he's said he had a good feeling that the player would still be there when he selected, Schultz being a Norris candidate was really bad but most fans were saying that about him when he signed he so I don't think everyone should act like Schultz was the only one.

You also failed to mention his biggest mistake which was firing Krueger and replacing him with Eakins.

That move sunk rebuild 1.0. But it's also the reason we have Drai and McD ( and even JP, really).

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

He's still around cause Oilers.

I really don't worry about it though, everything that has been going on is in the opposite direction of Mact, he doesn't make any decisions.

He obviously still does some stuff, but who even knows maybe he's decent at it. Whether he's there or not in his current capacity I'm really not sure makes a huge difference.

He is responsible for one of the biggest moves in franchise history. Getting Mcdavid!!! Show the man some respect...

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He brought in 23 players for the NHL roster as GM. Here is where those players are 15 months after MacTavish was demoted:

Will Acton: Europe
Keith Aulie: Europe
Anton Belov: Europe
Ilya Bryzgalov: UFA
Viktor Fasth: Europe
Mark Fayne: Edmonton Oilers
Andrew Ference: essentially retired/LTIR
Mark Fraser: Bakersfield Condors
Matt Fraser: UFA
Luke Gazdic: New Jersey Devils
Boyd Gordon: Philadelphia Flyers
Denis Grebeshkov: Retired
Matt Hendricks: Edmonton Oilers
Jesse Joensuu: Europe
Rob Klinkhammer: Europe
Jason LaBarbera: Retired
Philip Larsen: Vancouver Canucks
Nikita Nikitin: Europe
David Perron: St. Louis Blues
Benoit Pouliot: Edmonton Oilers
Teddy Purcell: Los Angeles Kings
Derek Roy: Europe
Ben Scrivens: Europe

8/23 are on NHL rosters right now and only three are on the Oilers.

Zero eye for identifying NHL talent.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He brought in 23 players for the NHL roster as GM. Here is where those players are 15 months after MacTavish was demoted:

Will Acton: Europe
Keith Aulie: Europe
Anton Belov: Europe
Ilya Bryzgalov: UFA
Viktor Fasth: Europe
Mark Fayne: Edmonton Oilers
Andrew Ference: essentially retired/LTIR
Mark Fraser: Bakersfield Condors
Matt Fraser: UFA
Luke Gazdic: New Jersey Devils
Boyd Gordon: Philadelphia Flyers
Denis Grebeshkov: Retired
Matt Hendricks: Edmonton Oilers
Jesse Joensuu: Europe
Rob Klinkhammer: Europe
Jason LaBarbera: Retired
Philip Larsen: Vancouver Canucks
Nikita Nikitin: Europe
David Perron: St. Louis Blues
Benoit Pouliot: Edmonton Oilers
Teddy Purcell: Los Angeles Kings
Derek Roy: Europe
Ben Scrivens: Europe

8/23 are on NHL rosters right now and only three are on the Oilers.

Zero eye for identifying NHL talent.

Remember how he bragged about being the most active GM in the league. Just hoping if he threw enough **** at a wall some of it would stick, all while spending close to the cap too. You might expect that from a GM on a cap floor team but not a club spending as much as this one did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad