How is Jan Lasak's name pronounced?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazz

Hedberg16 said:

During the World Championships I hear it pronounced:

Lascek
Lasack
Lashaak
Layshaak
Leshaak

Which one is it?
In Slovak (and other Slavic languages using the Latin script), it is actually spelt: Lašák

the Å¡ = sh in English
the á = prolongs the a

Thus, the answer is "Lashaak"

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Gurj said:
In Slovak (and other Slavic languages using the Latin script), it is actually spelt: Lašák

the Å¡ = sh in English
the á = prolongs the a

That's how I always pronounced it but I was not too sure about it.

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
Gurj said:

the Å¡ = sh in English
the á = prolongs the a

That's how all the Slovaks I know pronounce it. Depending on the region it sometimes sounds like "Lazhaak"

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
thrill_me_mogilny said:
That's how all the Slovaks I know pronounce it. Depending on the region it sometimes sounds like "Lazhaak"

The region?! You mean the Hungarians? :biglaugh: Otherwise I dont know what you mean cause I havent heard any Slovak pronounce Lašák differently than Lashaak (it looks wierd writing it this way...:))

Safir*

Hedberg16 said:

During the World Championships I hear it pronounced:

Lascek
Lasack
Lashaak
Layshaak
Leshaak

Which one is it?

Bingo!

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If someone starts a thread about Russian players names pronounciation a whole new world will open before our fellow N. Americans ;)

Jazz

Mr Bugg said:
As an aside: for the longest time, I pronounced Nikolai Khabibulan's name "Ka-bib-u-lin".
Khabibulin's name is of Tatar (or Tartar) descent - historical Muslims - notice "Khabib".

Historically, they used the Arabic script for their language, but both Latin and Cyrillic script have been used in the past century.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tatar.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad