How do you fix the Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Given how much SY likes trading with St. Louis, I'd bet he's looking hard at Binnington.

giphy.gif

No thank you to Binnington and his fake tough guy act and meltdowns.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Or Husso goes somewhere else in a different deal.
Yeah, I don't think anyone with a goalie to trade except maybe the Ducks (Gibson) will do a swap of goalies...and we don't really want him for 2 years, I would rather suffer out Husso if we must for 1 year. Might be able to dump Husso to a cap floor team, but I would not hold your breath for that unless other assets are going with him.

If he fully recovers, he might be OK for the coming season.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yeah, I don't think anyone with a goalie to trade except maybe the Ducks (Gibson) will do a swap of goalies...and we don't really want him for 2 years, I would rather suffer out Husso if we must for 1 year. Might be able to dump Husso to a cap floor team, but I would not hold your breath for that unless other assets are going with him.

If he fully recovers, he might be OK for the coming season.
If SY doesn't improve the goaltending with a new legit #1, it will not matter what other moves he makes at all...

Reducing goals against starts with the person in your net...

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Should Yzerman have pounced on a package for Makrstrom?

1st next year and a young dman seems like a fair price. Especially with 30% retention on that Markstrom contract.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nah, you don't make a trade like that unless you are trying to win games.

Markstrom would have help this team out more in the next 3-4 years than anyone picked at 15.

Now, instead, you can just chalk up another team, among many, as to why they'll miss the playoffs again next year.

Seems like if Yzerman actually wanted to he could have easily beaten that deal.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Should Yzerman have pounced on a package for Makrstrom?

1st next year and a young dman seems like a fair price. Especially with 30% retention on that Markstrom contract.
Wings wouldn’t have needed retention on Markstrom. That makes the deal we offer way less than NJ.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Nah, you don't make a trade like that unless you are trying to win games.

Markstrom would have help this team out more in the next 3-4 years than anyone picked at 15.

Now, instead, you can just chalk up another team, among many, as to why they'll miss the playoffs again next year.

Seems like if Yzerman actually wanted to he could have easily beaten that deal.
Markstrom has a .898 save % over the last 2 years combined. That’s pretty much on par with the Wings team save % over the last 2 years. On a team pretty equal in talent to Detroit.

There is a pretty decent chance we move a 1st round pick for him and he is a lateral move to what we currently have. You are hoping at 34 he re-gains his form from a few years ago. Not a bet I would make at the cost of a 1st round pick.

Probably makes better sense for NJ who put him an environment where he has better talent around him.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Well you added last year's stats to fit your argument of him not being good but he had a 905% save percentage this year on a bad team, with a 2.78 GAA so, yeah, he's not as bad as you are actually suggesting or insinuating, though NJ is more insulated than DET with talent that's for sure.

Infact, if you take that outlier year out totally, that for whatever reason you decided to squeeze in, everything suggests he's a stable goalie.

Like, now your trade options are Gibson/Gustavsson? Cheaper, possibly but not as good as Markstrom and the UFA is worst.

Best comment, and reasonable, was there are better trades out there to be made with the 1st round pick. Might not be a goalie even.

Last edited:
Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Markstrom has a .898 save % over the last 2 years combined. That’s pretty much on par with the Wings team save % over the last 2 years. On a team pretty equal in talent to Detroit.

There is a pretty decent chance we move a 1st round pick for him and he is a lateral move to what we currently have. You are hoping at 34 he re-gains his form from a few years ago. Not a bet I would make at the cost of a 1st round pick.

Probably makes better sense for NJ who put him an environment where he has better talent around him.
Not defensive talent.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Well you added last year's stats to fit your argument of him not being good but he had a 905% save percentage this year on a bad team, with a 2.78 GAA so, yeah, he's not as bad as you are actually suggesting or insinuating, though NJ is more insulated than DET with talent that's for sure.
Bigger sample size > smaller sample size
Infact, if you take that outlier year out totally, that for whatever reason you decided to squeeze in, everything suggests he's a stable goalie.
Let’s cut out 1 of the last 2 seasons where he was bad? Sure, why not.
Like, now your trade options are Gibson/Gustavsson? Cheaper, possibly but not as good as Markstrom.
If it feels like you’re trying to force the issue, don’t.

Reactions: norrisnick

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Bigger sample size > smaller sample size

Let’s cut out 1 of the last 2 seasons where he was bad? Sure, why not.

If it feels like you’re trying to force the issue, don’t.
Are you kidding me? Go look at how many season he's had that bad before you act like it's normal or his standard.

You cherry picked your timeline for 2 years, cause he's had 1 bad year his whole career. Why didn't you do his time in Calgary as a whole?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you kidding me? Go look at how many season he's had that bad before you act like it's normal or his standard.

You cherry picked your timeline for 2 years, cause he's had 1 bad year his whole career.
He’s 34. Should I be looking at what he’s done the last 2 years or what he’s done 3 years ago and before? What’s a better indicator of what he is right now?

I think a lot of people are calculating how good Markstrom is based on what he did 3 years ago and not what he’s actually done on the ice over the last 2 years.

For example you are saying he’s clearly better than Gibson. Well over the last 2 years that’s a .898 sv % for Markstrom and a .894 sv % for Gibson

Reactions: SoupNazi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad